Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Welcome to the Sensi Seeds forums
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

difference between male and female plants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TitanDuke View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote TitanDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: difference between male and female plants
    Posted: 25 January 2012 at 12:37
Hi, I have searched for a good answer but not found anything about the difference between male and female plants, why do they want female what is the difference.

do not male plants produce flowers ass female plants do .
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 13:40
No, male plants produce tiny pollen-distributing staminate flowers, rather than the 'buds' produced by female cannabis plants.

Male flowers (and foliage) have little or no cannabinoid content, so growers remove male plants as soon as possible, in order to concentrate on growing female flowers which have a high cannabinoid content.

In the vegetative stage, male and female plants look very similar, if not identical.

As flowering begins and progresses, the difference between male and female plants becomes much more obvious.

Early development of female flowers

Early development of male flowers.

More developed male flowers.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 13:42
both male and female plants produce flowers.
the thing is only female flowers produce resin in some mushroom-shaped things called "glandular trichomes".
male flowers, when they open, they release pollen which - in natural conditions - come in contact with female flowers' pistils (and when all male flowers are opened the male plant dies). if this happens, the female plant gets pollinated and will produce seeds. when seeds are mature, they fall from the female plant to the ground in order to produce another plant and the female plant dies once all seeds are dropped. in few words this is the natural life-cycle of the cannabis.
when you grow cannabis for the resin you should remove all male plants as soon as you recognize them because pollinated female produce a lot less resin. all their efforts from the pollination on, go to seeds production.
that's why people talk about "sinsemilla" (without seeds) growing.

the female flower has two white (at first stages) hairy pistils, the male flower is more ball shaped.
but it's difficult to explain differencies in words. search for some images or videos on the net. there's plenty.

TitanDuke View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote TitanDuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 15:08
Thank you very much this was very enlightening
Kempin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Kempin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2012 at 18:23
According to a table in Frank & Rosenthal's - Marijuana Growers Guide, there's not much difference in potency between male and female. Much is lost because of the development of seeds. That's one of the reasons to remove the males before pollination. However I always spared them and I do notice a subtle high of the male plants that entirely flowered.
Further I always tended to a personal preference for plants containing seeds. It may be just a belief but I think you get a more naturally balanced product when the males are spared and allowed to pollinate the females. At least to my taste, I feel a more soothing effect of female plants when having seed. The only problem is to remove the seeds before smoking, but I see it as the charming part of the smoking 'ritual'. Anyone remembers the days you had to 'dissect' a Colombian bud before enjoying it :-)?
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 17:33
There's definitely a difference between the potency of male and female plants!

If the fan leaves of vegetating males and females were tested for cannabinoid content, it's possible they could give a similar reading, but the flowering tops are worlds apart. Female flowers have a huge cannabinoid content, male flowers have little to none. 
Kempin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Kempin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2012 at 21:00
I re-read the page in the Marijuana Growers Guide and the statement was indeed mainly about the leaves, while big differences can occur between the flowers.
greatisgood View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote greatisgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2012 at 19:27
So I need a bit of help. I'm new here, but if you don't mind telling me if this is male or female that would be great.

Let's just say I'm taking a quiz, and not sure which one it is. Indicators suggest male, but there have many indicators for female.

I greatly appreciate your help in advance.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/photoxgk.jpg/
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 15:57
That's a male, unfortunately.

Better luck next time!
Wowzor1234 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Wowzor1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2012 at 13:56
Please check this link and tell me if his plant is male or female?

http://wowzor1234.tumblr.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>