Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Lighting
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hamlet View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting
    Posted: 23 January 2006 at 21:46

Can anybody please help.  I have just purchased 3 x 400W Sodium lights complete with SON E bulbs.

These are a tulip shaped bulb with a white frosted coating rather than the cylindrical clear bulbs I have seen before.

Have I just wasted my money, are they going to be any good for flowering

Am I a plonker?

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2006 at 11:39

As long as the bulbs fit in the ballasts and light up when you switch them on, then it's not too much of a disaster. However, these 'E' bulbs are likely to be less efficient than 'T' bulbs.

Were the bulbs and ballasts sold together? If they were sold as a single unit, it should be safe to use them together.

The white coating will reduce the amount of light the bulbs emit - this might be a great reduction or a small one. The bulbs' packaging should include information about the lumens they give out.

A 400w Philips SON-T- PLUS (normal HPS) emits around 55,000 lumens for the power it consumes.

A 400w Philips SON-T-AGRO (HPS with extra blue light) emits about 52,000 lm for the same power usage.

If your SON-E has a comparable lumen output (say, over 32,000 lm) for the 400w it consumes, then it should be suitable for indoor growing. Below this figure you're not really getting enough light for the power.

As far as I can tell, the difference between SON-T and SON-E is only in the shape. Son-T bulbs are Tubular, and SON-E bulbs are Elliptical. They seem to have the same size screw-fitting.

If your ballasts are for 400w HPS bulbs, there should be no problem with them running SON-T or SON-E bulbs.

If you can fit a SON-E under the hood, you can fit a SON-T. Your reflector may have been made with one bulb or the other in mind, but this should not make a huge difference.

So, if you haven't yet used the 'E' bulbs, you might want to take them back to the supplier, and see if you can exchange them for some 'T' bulbs made with clear glass.

If the lights were particularly cheap, they might have been on sale because of their translucent coating.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply