Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Plant Gender
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

hermaphrodites

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
forsh View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote forsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hermaphrodites
    Posted: 25 January 2006 at 20:24
any one come across problems wiv hermaphrodites .growin , purple femanised .by dutch passion . first crop was piss poor weed . but wicked plant to look at . growin under 400 watt sodium .fans and heater .temp around 74 -80 hum 68 -78 . soil in 8 " pots .any ov you dudes shed any light on this for me .much appreciated . forsh .
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 11:43

Unfortunately, hermaphrodites may be a normal result when growing some kinds of feminised seeds.

Feminised seeds are always made with a hermaphrodite parent. The offspring of a hermaphrodite and a female have a much greater chance of turning hermaphrodite than the offspring of a male and a female.

You could argue that, while female flowers might show on 80-100% of plants grown from feminised seeds, the plants themselves are not 100% female.

All cannabis can turn hermie in difficult, irregular or stressful conditions, but the chance is greatly increased in offspring whose parent(s) have shown themselves to turn easily.

Did all your flowering plants originate as clones cut from the same mother? If so, all of them will have the same chance of turning hermaphrodite.

This tendency means that feminised seeds make unsuitable mother plants. The best chance of getting good results from feminised seeds is to grow each seed into one flowering plant and treat her very carefully throughout the whole flowering cycle.

If you have several different plants (or clones from several different plants) flowering, how many of them have turned hermaphrodite?

It doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with your grow-room. You can produce first-class cannabis with the equipment and growing-space you mention in your post.

You point out that your first crop of this strain looked fine, but wasn't much use as a smoke. My own (very limited) experience with feminised seeds had a similar outcome.

All plants became female (though showing their gender took over three weeks in some cases, which is unusual), and grew vigourously into large, broad-leafed, healthy-looking plants.

The problem was that the smoke was nothing to write home about. These feminised seeds were made from a top-notch variety, but the buds they produced were nowhere near as good as buds from the parent generation. "Piss poor" is a pretty apt description.

In general, I'd avoid feminised seeds. Especially if you have the capacity to keep mother plants and take your own clones. Then you need only one good female plant, whether it's from seed or clone.

Keeeping a mother will give you all the advantages of feminised seeds (with none of the gender-switching downside) plus several other bonuses that feminised seeds don't have - such as renewability and uniformity.

If you're going to go to the trouble (and possible risk) of keeping a mother plant, you should make sure it's a natural, 100% female, so she can provide clones for years to come.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
forsh View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote forsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 18:59
GANGA .now then dude .many thanks for your reply . started out out with 7 seedlings .to which 3 turned hermie with in 3 weeks off the flowerin cycle .so those little f**kers got the chop .the other 4 showed pollen sacks in week 5 .to which i set to then with tweezers to try and remove the sacks " mind blowin job " bud size was a good 6 to 8 inc . but like i said before the smoke was piss poor .have taken 7 clones which are 36 inc tall and are now in week 2 ov the flowerin cycle .just to see if these turn hermie on me ? also the seeds i recovered from the buds ive potterd on to see what out come ov these are ?. now have a new mother plant "variety " top 44 . to which 2 are in week 2 ov flowerin cycle and 36 are in rootin pots 18/6 light cycle .mother plant is pure female and a wicked smoke so time will tell the out come ? . thanks again for your advise .take it easy . forsh.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 11:22

Seeds produced by hermaphrodite pollen are likely to turn into hermaphrodites themselves.

Hermaphrodites that self-pollinate will produce copies of themselves in seed-form.

Hermaphrodites that pollinate normal females will produce seeds with the hermaphrodite tendency, though this tendency may displayed less frequently.

If they pollinate other hermaphrodites, there will be more variation in the offspring, but all of them are likely to become hermaphrodites.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
forsh View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote forsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2006 at 17:50
nom then Ganga . cheres dude thanks for your advise on the herm . seeds . happy growin dude . forsh .
teknoponic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote teknoponic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 02:43
Originally posted by Ganja

In general, I'd avoid feminised seeds. Especially if you have the capacity to keep mother plants and take your own clones. Then you need only one good female plant, whether it's from seed or clone.

Keeeping a mother will give you all the advantages of feminised seeds (with none of the gender-switching downside) plus several other bonuses that feminised seeds don't have - such as renewability and uniformity.

If you're going to go to the trouble (and possible risk) of keeping a mother plant, you should make sure it's a natural, 100% female, so she can provide clones for years to come.

Sound advice the Ganja, best avoid feminised seeds and stick to standard seed stock.  Feminised seeds are not produced using male pollen; but by inducing male flowers on female plants; hermaphrodites! 

You don't get any male plants from the seeds, only female and hermaphrodite plants!  As a result these seeds cost you more than your standard seed and IMO are not worth it as all the females are genetically hermaphrodites.  This makes them unsuitable for use as mothers as the clones most probably will switch gender at some point and drop their pollen; no thanks. 

Bunches of bananas hiding here there and everywhere; giving you some seeds and at the same time also reducing yield and potency... 

Not quite what we are looking for in our world!     

Galaxy NineJah Rastafari Selassie I the Conqueror...

forsh View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote forsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 January 2006 at 18:16
now then dudes .thanks again for your advise .Ganga .and all so Teknoponic . will scrap the lost few plants ov purple # 1 and blast on with my top 44 , two are in flower cycle and the other 30 clones in veg state all lookin [ cool for cats ! ! ] will keep ya all posted when the babys start to bud up . take it easy and thanks again .Forsh .
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2006 at 23:08
Hai,

Ganja wrote: "Hermaphrodites that self-pollinate will produce copies of themselves in seed-form."

I disagree. All one should say is that the offspring will not be very male.

I grew a mostly female plant out of bagseed. It grew 3 meters tall with pounds of weed and only a dozend seeds. Accidental hermies are great.

Uli
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2006 at 14:26
Hai,

I wrote: "All one should say is that the offspring will not be very male."

Give me another try! More generally: The child of two indentical parents (say a hermie pollinating itself) will statistically loose some genes. That is because chromosomes heterocygot on the parent can become homocygot in the child.

The male sex is dominant and cannot be homocygot for this trait, that means it needs a female in order to reproduce.

Uli
 Post Reply Post Reply