Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Systems - Setups, Equipment, Mediums
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Rate my system!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rate my system!
    Posted: 09 February 2006 at 00:27
Ok, i wanna tell yall my idea on how i wanna run my grow and i would welcome yall to advice me..i did research stuff so lets get started..
1. ima get sensi indoor mix and a sensi tshirt :)
2. i will buy two fluorescent tubes each 36w 120cm long for growing
3. one 400w HSP
4. 1 ventilator for the plants and air circulation
5. fertilizer and sensi boost for growing
6. 1 activated-carbon filter so that there is basically NO smell..

i plan on growing about 8 plants, actually i just want 5 but because there will be male plants i need start with more...the room will not be only used for growing..someones gonna live in it too.
i have no idea what the activated carbon filter needs..i read about tubes so the air gets out or so i dont want that i plan on just hanging it above the plants so that its close to the source and takes as much smell away as possible.. i dont know if i forgot something..???
what do you all think?
can i use one hsp 400w for so many plants?
i wonder if i will have a heat problem and if the fluorescent tubes are capable of growing the plants within a month so that i can start flowering in the 2nd month..please help a beginner..
thanks so much
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2006 at 17:10

1. Indoor Mix will give you a range of interesting and tasty Indicas, and you can store leftover seeds (if you keep them cool, dark and dry) for around two years.

On the other hand, if you're going to be germinating 8 seeds per crop, a single-strain packet of 15 seeds might suit your needs as well. That's two crops in a pack, not including any mother plants you might make.

Not recommending against Indoor Mix at all, as variety is the spice of life, and all the strains you're likely to find in the mix can flower happily together.

However, there are also advantages to growing a single strain. Powerful, fast and easy Indicas and hybrids around the price of Indoor Mix include things like Super Skunk, California Indica, Maple Leaf Indica, Afghani #1, American Dream and Silver Pearl.

2. You might want to use three or four 120cm tubes. You can grow with two, but you'll get better performance and coverage from four. They're pretty cheap to run and buy.

For a bit more initial outlay and slightly better output at the same power consumption, you could go for a CF light, which are good for vegetative growth in a small space.

With about 10,000 lumens, plants can be ready to flower in 4 weeks.

3. A good flowering light. try to get a SON-T-AGRO HPS bulb for a more complete spectrum.

A 400w HPS is good for about one square metre of well illuminated grow-space, maybe 100cmx120cm with a good reflector. You can fit 5 fairly large (1m) flowering plants in this space

4. Air circulation can be done with normal household fans. You should have an extractor fan too, if possible. To work properly, your extractor fan has to vent the air outside the grow-room, usually through a tube.

The same goes for a carbon filter. I don't think it will work properly unless it's attached to the air-out tube from your extractor fan. A carbon filter is supposed to remove all smell from the extracted air of a grow-room, so the air can be vented without suspicion.

Unless I'm not up to date on how an active carbon filter works (which is quite possible), I don't think it will function properly unless a fan is pushing air through it.

Finally, if there is someone living in the room with the plants, the whole set-up will, of course, have to be kept in a closet, box, or some other dived part of the room.

You could get away with living alongside growing plants under fluoro lights, but flowering plants are very sensitive about their light cycle,and cannot coexist with a human's day to day life.

Flowering plants need 12 hours of very bright light followed by 12 hours of complete darkness in each 24hr period. Small amounts of light in the dark period can seriously mess up flowering.

And living near/under a 400w HPS lamp would not make for a happy camper of a person either...

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2006 at 09:46
Hi,

thanks a LOT for your great reply.
I would use a cf light as you recommended but im not sure which brand and model also i dont know if one cf light can cover 8 or 10 plants?
I like the indoor mix cos i like all sorts it just sucks that you dont know which seed you actually use but you can find out later i hope (from the images)...
I bought a Philips 400w SON-T-AGRO like this..
Looks alike!

The problem is i cannot use a tube to extract the smell from the carbon filter. the plants will be close the a window and get fresh air..above the plants will be the filter with a fan on the top but i cant connect a tube to the fan to extract the air to the outside..all i can do is get two fans to extract fresh air in and old air out..i will set the lights on a timer so they will get 12h of rest.
"Finally, if there is someone living in the room with the plants, the whole set-up will, of course, have to be kept in a closet, box, or some other dived part of the room"
Why? They will be put at a good place...
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2006 at 13:44
I will use an extraction tube connected the the filter, but i can only use a fan to get fresh air in.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 14:52

The filter won't work without a fan pushing air through it.

If you have only one extractor/intake fan, it's better to use it to draw air out - as this will allow you to make use of use your filter, plus the removed air will cause replacement air to be drawn in through every crack in the grow-room.

A fan that pushes air in will have the effect of forcing air OUT from every crack in the grow room, which will be a problem since the filter will not be working to remove the smell

Brands of CF bulbs shouldn't make much difference. Judge by light output for power consumed. A 125w CF that produces 10,000 lumens is sufficient. This would be enough for 8 to 10 small plants. Choose cool colours/high colour temperature for vegetating plants.

The SON-T-AGRO is a 400w HPS bulb, which can run in any 400w HPS ballast. The Philips ballast that we used to sell in combination with the AGRO bulb was the SGR 200 model.

The ballast pictured in the link you provide looks more like a Philips 400w MH (MGR 140 model) or the 600w HPS (SGR 160).

While the lamp in the pic might be an older model of 400w HPS (the one before the SGR 200), you should make absolutely sure it's not an MGR 140 or an SGR 160.

It can be dangerous to try to use a 400w HPS bulb with either of these ballasts. Check the model number of the ballast you have.

You wrote: "i will set the lights on a timer so they will get 12h of rest.
"Finally, if there is someone living in the room with the plants, the whole set-up will, of course, have to be kept in a closet, box, or some other dived part of the room"
Why? They will be put at a good place... "

Lights are not turned off for 12 hours to rest them. the flowering cycle of cannabis is 12 hours of bright light followed by 12 hours of absolute darkness.

If you don't give plants this light cycle, or if you interrupt the dark period with any light source, the flowering of your plants will be negatively affected or stopped altogether.

This is the reason that you cannot live in the same area as flowering plants, unless you can live strictly to the cycle of 12hours light vs 12hrs darkness.

hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 21:45
okay, thanks for your reply but you got things wrong, of course i WILL connect a fan to the filter cos thats the only way for the filter to draw all the air in and of course out thro a tube. i will also get an regular fan that i place close to the plants... but the filter MUST and will have a fan. it will be a 125mm fan with 350 cbm/H.
well, the ballast i dont know which model it is..i bought it and its used (kinda OLD) but the light in it was a philips hps 400w Son-T AGRO, and the light was looking real old too but it worked when i tried it. i dont know how i can find out cos i didnt see and tags that would tell me if its an MGR 140 or an SGR 160. i got a newer version of the agro light tho, it says "8L" above the philips logo.
on the old light that came with the ballast it says "5D"...what are the dangers IF i got an mgr 140 or sgr 160?
and concerning the light cycle i will make sure they get their right time off light...thanks
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2006 at 22:15
im thinking about getting a MaxGrow Blau 4U-115Watt/6400k with about 8000lumens for the growing period...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 14:02

"above the plants will be the filter with a fan on the top but i cant connect a tube to the fan to extract the air to the outside."

"of course i WILL connect a fan to the filter cos thats the only way for the filter to draw all the air in and of course out thro a tube"

The first statement sounds like you weren't going to attach a fan and and out-take tube to the carbon filter.

As long as you're going with the second statement, and the fan pushes air through the filter and out of the grow-area via a tube, then the fan and filter will work well together to control the environment and the smell of the plants.

If your ballast was already running a SON-T-AGRO bulb, then it's probably the right model.

I haven't seen a Philips 400w HPS ballast in that casing, but since Philips uses a similar casing for its 600w HPS and its 400w MH, it wouldn't suprise me if they once used it for their 400w HPS as well.

You may be able to find the model number of the ballast if you open the casing and have a look inside. It might have a sticker inside which indicates the model.

You should use a timer to switch the lights on and off at the same time every day, as plants can be very sensitive to small changes in the number of light hours.

After flowering begins, you cannot expose the plants to any other light source (except green light) during their dark hours.

hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2006 at 17:21
yes, you are right. i changed my mind regarding the tube and with the fan i didnt explain myself properly.
i gotta find such a green light then in case the light is needed really bad during the "dark hours" while flowering.
yes, a son-t agro bulb was already in the ballast when i got it and i tested it, which worked really well.
now i only need to find a nice maxgrow and im ready to go :) thanks
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2006 at 02:56
weird, i thought i already wrote something in here but i guess i didnt..i got the ballast in my hands and the ballast itself is from philips and on the bottom close to where the bulb gets in i found and sticker, (which looks old) and it said "400w agro" on it. i cant await starting the grow im f**kin desperate for it to begin since i been thinking about it for so long and getting all the stuff together
 Post Reply Post Reply