Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing > Indoor Grow Diaries
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

super Skunk. a first grow. grow tent, CFL and LED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2012 at 19:23
in any case, a nice rule of thumb is if the leaf is easy to remove then do it, otherwise don't! :-)
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 09:24
Thanks man,
I think I saw pictures where people were not removing the entire leaf, but just cutting off the yellow portions of the leaf... ?

Bad LEDs....   It is something to do with the angle of projection.  leds ussually come with angles of 120, 90, 60 ...  I'll have to check with the manufacturer. 
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 10:40
i would hardly suggest not to remove just yellow portions.
this way the half dead plant matter is an highway for pest and diseases.
when i remove leaves, i cut them off right at the base of the petiole.
just let them recover, build up some new nodes and leaves, then you can decide to remove leaves, or not...
leaves are a plant's lungs and personally i don't like to remove them in veg: i usually never remove leaves until the last couple of weeks of flowering, when i like to cut off those leaves that are going entirely yellow and will be very easy to remove; this is a natural process.
in your case you have a problem, and very damaged leaves will eventually die and fall in the next weeks. you don't have to play a role in that.

some growers even cut off some leaves that are a little yellow and/or are preventing lower leaves and branches from getting light. i think this practice is totally wrong: in this way you are doing more harm than good.
sanguenuzoi View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote sanguenuzoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 19:56
"some growers even cut off some leaves that are a little yellow and/or are preventing lower leaves and branches from getting light. i think this practice is totally wrong: in this way you are doing more harm than good."

yes absolutely ... cutting leaves away because they are a little yellow does more harm than good ... experienced people repeated this to my several times , dont f*ck with the plants they dont like it , allow old leaves to fall down naturally , or ,as alsc said , by very late flowering would be ok to remove older leaves ( those ones will probably be removed without the need of using scizors, pulling them with your own hans will do the job )
when the lion is sleeping... never u try to wake im
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 22:53
Got you guys .... no cutting :-)  Thanks for this I was really considering this move.

BTW, I think we figured out what goes on (me and my loved one- PY %3ceart ) .... 
Looking at all 3 plants, the symphtoms are strange... the burn is NOT at the very top leaves...  looking at them from the side, looks like a middle layer of burn...
So it seems like the LEDs have a concentration point, at somthing like 7 CMs from the panel... So for the next week we'll keep the panels  (PY will, cause I'm traveling again :-( ) at least 10 CMs from the tops of the plants.

I just feel sorry for the plants being in this experiment ....

Cheers
sanguenuzoi View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote sanguenuzoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2012 at 05:13
LEDs are quite new technology for latin american people like myself ... thanks for sharing your experiences with them

i wasnt able to find much info on my native language forums on LED growing , but the only guy i saw writing about the use of it was pretty much a technical freak when speaking about lights ,he was the only one in the forum aware of the concept of PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) and other lighting concepts wich most ppl around here dont hav a clue about  ... for what i could see this guy had great results using leds for flowering , but as i previously stated the guy was a technical freak on lights :D , results were not as good as HPS when talking about the amount produced in harvesting but he said buds quality was the same as using hps

best of luck with this LED experience ak50 ... watch out for this heat concentration points and be happy  :D
when the lion is sleeping... never u try to wake im
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 01:59
Hi Everybody,
Came back home last Sunday. and at the 50th day of lofe, we switched to 12/12.
Now the situation with the LED lighting is not optimal.... here are some insights and pictures from today,  day 52.   Day 2 in 12/12.
Aparently the issue is with the lights.

When I first saw the burns, all three (were still smaller) were under the (newly purchased) 240W, for less than a week.

I've seperated number #3 and #4 to be under the 240W LED
and #5 is under the used 90W UFO I also bought recently (but a used one).
Number #5 new leaves are clean and well -
you can see the old leaves down below.

However - #4 #3 looks like this -
Yep......  Sad....
But then - these two were fimmed/topped (not like #5) so these are more bushy.
And if you look closer into - let's say #4
you can see the new growth is allyas clean, but the lower part is getting yellow.

BTW - as long as I play with the distance, they are not beinbg burned as before - but only getting yellow....

#3-  same thing -

So - as of now - some resolutions ......
  • I am not going to switch to HPS or anything.  will be a big investment and will not prove anything :-)
  • I'd like to go all the way so see what will also be the effect on the harvest.....
  • It seems like the fact that there are diffent opinions out there could be very much related to the lights.....  it looks like differnt lights/manufacturers ...the quality reflects on the results.  too many technical specifications variations...    while HPS is HPS ....
  • I think I can also try to have the 240W MUCH Higher than the 90W..... it is like almost 3 times the strenght.  it is already 20 CMs away from the tops, I'll double the distance and will see if any change.

That's it for today.  wish me more luck. :-)

cheers.
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 22:36

Wazzaup outhere ? :-)

8 days into 12/12.  no real change that I can see.
No vast increase in growth rate, not white hairs yet.

I wonder - is there any other LED grower out there that experienced the same burning effect (or not? :-) ) that I am having?

When I first thought about LED growing, I asumed bruning was caused by heat.  and since LED do no create that much heat it will be safe to even have them almost touching the plants.
Actually - I was under the impression that having the plants closer to the light source will be better for the processing of it and actually a benefit.

The leaves these days are feeling more 'light' and crispy... less "thick" as they used to be when they were younger and under the CFL.  I wonder if this is regular or is also related to LED growing.

LED growers?  %3confused
ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 23:06

My dear diary,

31 days since previous post…  it is now Day 39 in 12/12, almost full 6 wks.

Trying to cope as much as possible, continuing the grow with the LEDs I have.

At some point I raised the 240W lamp all the way to the top of the tent, and kept only the 90W led + 120W CFL close to the plants.

(I gathered all 3 together)

#5 is doing the best.  She gave white hairs first, and looks healthy.

She was the farthest from the 240W (BTW, she was also not fimmed/topped).

#3 is in the worst condition, and #4 is much better, but not as nice as #5.

Some flowers from #5:

ak50 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ak50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 23:10

continue .... 

this is #5 in full -  approx. 30 CM in height….  L

And flowers from today –

Some of the hairs begin to change colors.  I assume there will not be too much additional growth in height in the next 2,3 weeks.

I can only hope the buds will develop enough to produce as much smoking as possible J, and that it’ll be a good smoke….

And I need to start thinking about the next iteration -

·         Use only the 90W (maybe two of them).

·         Maybe finish in bigger pots (this time I kept them in 10L)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>