Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Outdoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

how to reduce mold with big colas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
alsc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alsc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to reduce mold with big colas?
    Posted: 15 October 2012 at 18:47
the other day i visited my friend's outdoor (almost)guerrilla garden.
i helped him out with harvesting these monsters: 4 m and more high plant.
i am sorry i couldn't take any pic.
he's really "old school" and really clandestino! hidden in the bushes and of course paranoid over being caught! :-)

i helped him out in choosing strains this year. we choose mainly big bud from sensi and white widow from white label. i've already tried out the firsts he hearvested and they are just delightfull!
it was really exctiting to deal with such big plants. however he had to throw away entire colas to mold. expecially some of the huge big bud colas were problematic. most of the harvest is great but still it was horrible to had to throw al this good stuff away!
even if the climate here is really nice, he got a couple of horrible rain days and after that warm and wet days... that's what caused the mold for sure...
so i was wondering how the outdoor experts deal with mold. i know some of you live in rainy places like england or ireland so it must be even worse for you!
thanks, al.

sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2012 at 20:46
i combat the rot in three ways

1)strain choice,indoor strains not only behave totally different outdoors due to phenotype expression, they are not really bred for the changeable outdoor environment having been more than likely bred/selected indoors in a climate controlled room.

2)site selection, with an open site with morning sun & wind/breezes to dry large buds after rain/mists stops the rot getting a foot hold

3)cold pressed Neem oil!!!!!!! this stuff is unbeatable if used as a preventative(ie once or twice a week) its has anti-fungal, insecticidal property's

i still get the rot i just minimize the damage by planning ahead.

Heres another little nugget for the outdoor grower, trying to find a plant/strain that works in your environment in a random ten pack from a seed company would be like winning the lottery, by making seeds in your environment/climate you are in affect cutting down the odds and by breeding the plants(male & female)that do well at your site you will end up with an acclimatized strain that will only get better if you continue to select for hardy early resistant individuals, also topping a few times is affective as it creates lots of smaller buds that are less prone to mould because the dry out quicker but over all start off with the best outdoor genetics you can lay your hands on.

coverking View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote coverking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2012 at 00:58
well said sickle nice bit of info sir
Growing Weed is like a Game of Chess! You must think before you move!
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 17:52
and the buds with mold, i throw them away ofcourse
Some say friends do not exist, we cant make words for things that do not exist...
Willie van het Kerkhof, Groningen NL
Schwarzenegger View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Schwarzenegger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 16:19
this is a mildew year, so whats happening is that all non midew rsistant strains out there are being selected.... :)

Darwinian Selection applies to plants also
"New shit has come to light, man" -the big Lebowski
Schwarzenegger View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Schwarzenegger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2013 at 10:16
good outdoor strain would be Durban Poison.
Thats the only non-purple strain I know of that is capable of producing a well ripened bud in the shitty Dutch autumn

"New shit has come to light, man" -the big Lebowski
 Post Reply Post Reply