Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

250W CFL vs 250W HPS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johnmatrix View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 250W CFL vs 250W HPS
    Posted: 19 October 2012 at 13:42
Hi,
i am currently growing under 250W CFl 2700k. Some of you told me if i change cfl to hps it will improve yield.I will have some extra cash next week and was wondering does changing 250W CFL to 250W HPS will improve yield?
If yes please tell me what should I looking for i mean what lamp, reflector and ballast. I want to spend as low as possible and buy in UK.
So far i know that should go with digital ballast's which are more efficient than magnetic, please correct me if im wrong.
Would this ballast be ok for my needs:

http://www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Hydro-Digital-Dimmable-Ballast/dp/B007PV4P44

The other thing is do i have to change the reflector?  My reflector has ceramic light fitting E40, some holes on the top and standard cable with 13A fuse.

Size:
50cm/l and 40cm/w

Please refer to the actual picture:
http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/pelny/2447a74977cc90e3.html
http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/pelny/fc812a604c0737ce.html

I am growing in Secret Jardin DS2 90x90x180
RVK Fan and Rhino Filter, passive intake
4-6 lowryder plants

Thanks in advance
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 14:19
the blue's are most important during vegetative growth. the presence of some blue spectrum light during flowering can keep stretching down and, some claim, make your buds more psychoactive
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 14:30
Sorry i changed the post :)
I decided to go with hps instead of adding more CFL's
Sorry for confusing ;)
PetrolSS View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote PetrolSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 16:25
250w CFl vs 250 hps ....yes your gonna get a bigger yield from the HPS
Social revolution in the 1960's US was necessitated and made inevitable by the accelerated convergence of polydimensional conflict within the shift from a rural-urban society, technology, and mobility
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 18:16
Ok, thanks but i need more deitls before i do it ;)
I found some information about the ballast and is not recommended to use 250W bulb with 400W ballast so do i have to buy 250W ballast for 250W bulb? Is any ballast i can switch from 250-400W? I don't know if i need 400W.
couchlockd View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote couchlockd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 18:49
if you space will permit the extra light, and you can evacuate the extra heat. go HPS, and for that matter, if you can upgrade to a 400 watt e/digital ballast do it. you can run both MH/ and HPS on those. you can eliminate a "limiting factor" more by going to 400w lighting.

the 250 and 400 watt ballast should be soo close in price or even equal in price its a no brainer granted you can remove the extra heat.
skfblues View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote skfblues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 12:02
i have an ecolux digital ballast, i can switch from 300-450-600, i am using a 600 grolux bulb. I am told that the digital ballast uses less power but this is the first grow with it so i haven't had the bill yet.
I am thinking of looking at the LED lights next, pricey but cheap to run.
ganphati
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote johnmatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 17:49
Ok i have contacted some manufacture and they advised that 400W ballast should only be used with 400W bulb otherwise it may damage the lamp or whole system. Safety first ;) I don't want to burn the house.
So the best solution is to buy switchable ballast like yours.
How much did you pay for it? Where did you ordered?
munzy View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote munzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 18:07
if you want a decent light order from growell go for the budget hobby system, ballast hood and bulb, i think the 250wtt is £50 cheap as chips but excellent quality i been running multiple 600s for 4yrs with no problems at all and have recently purchased a 250hps for vegging very very happy with these cheap systems
ANDWHAT
couchlockd View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote couchlockd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2012 at 21:57
whay you are calling a switchable ballast is not correct. the digital ballasts that "dim" a particular wattage light, are dimmable ballasts.

they will dim either a 400 or 600 etc to 75% 50% or something of that natuture.

there are a few ballasts such as the galaxy "selet-a-watt" which will let you power different wattage bulbs.

all electronic/dimmable ballasts will run either HPS or MH lamps.
http://www.growlightexpress.com/grow-light-ballasts-3/1000-watt-ballasts-14/galaxy-select-a-watt-400-600-1000-ballast-1062.html

thats the galaxy

here is the most badass digital ballast out there yet. it is made by hortilux, and assembled in usa using japanese parts.  (japs make the best as far as "china vs japan vs america" debate but it is only avail in 1000 watt models so far. they run at 75 hertz or so

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>