Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Cloning
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Old enough to clone or flower?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dread View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2006 at 08:41

Hi ganga

thanks for that ,i might try to take some cuttings before and during flowering and see how i get on ,the problem is i have plenty of side shoots but the all only have 2 flores  wit only a very small gap between them,it might be because they were in pots too small,i potted them on last night and they seemed like they were slightly pot bound so im waiting for them to get bigger
thanks
Dread
dread View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 15:29
hi
please tell me if you think these are suitable for cuttings/clones yet?also i cant set up gallery
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 19:22

It looks good to go, but it’s hard to be sure without another object in the picture to judge the size. Can you post another pic, showing more of the plant?

A green shoot with an internode at the top and a stem that's about 10cm long and at least a millimetre in diameter will make a good cutting.

A cutting isn't limited to the length of a single internode. Most decent-sized cuttings will have a couple of nodes along the stem, with a strong node and a couple of leaves at the top. The nodes on the stem are usually cut away, leaving just the one(s) at the top.

So, if the stem in the picture is about 2mm thick, and if there's about 10-12cm of growth above the internode at the centre of the pic (the one that's on the same level as the '1' from the date-stamp), then you could make a good cutting from this section (assuming that the plant is big enough to be pruned - say 30cm+).

I'd make the cut just above the central bract (where the purple spot is), trim off the leaves and nodes immediately above and probably the next pair as well. I'm not sure how many more nodes are above the top of the pic, but if it's only one or two, I'd leave that much foliage on the cutting and proceed as normal.

BTW - I notice Arjun responded to your query about setting up a gallery. Did you make one, or is there still some difficulty?

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Sticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 03:35
I would wait till there bigger

Ree potting them will make them grow faster aswell,  Depending on your skill levels dread, bottom cuttings can be a little bit more friendly than tops, which require a little more loving to root, And as ganga said theres only one cutting with internodes on it being the top ?  Wait my brother until she gets to at least 2 foot before cutting her back, and i wouldnt recommend taking any more than 30 percent of her at one time

v1ru5 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote v1ru5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 11:48
I agree with Sticky, although the nodes on the middle (and possibly the ones under em) could be cut to be cuttings.

But with another weeks wait you could have much better results with your cuttings - they'd root faster etc.

-v1
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 18:52
Originally posted by dread

are you taking clones during the flowering stage ... I seem to be waiting for a while  to get cuttings that are big enough and id rarher start flowering 

Dread

Maybe I'm mis-reading Dread's intention, but I thought he wanted to put the plants into flower ASAP, taking a few cuttings beforehand in order to preserve copies of the flowering individuals.

If a plant is destined to be a mother, then growing it up before taking a serious number of cuttings is a good idea.

If a plant is going to be flowered and propagated with what's sometimes called the "British method" - growing a plant to a decent size, taking cuttings and then flowering the large plant (and repeating this process once the clones have reached a decent size) - then taking clones from smaller plants is normal.

Also, if the aim is to take cuttings and get the seed-plants into flower ASAP, waiting for plants to get bigger will postpone the start of flowering for a number of weeks. There's the extra growing time, plus the recovery time after cuttings are taken to allow new shoots to grow from the internodes.
Cutting soon means that shoots will start their recovery the next day, allowing flowering to start sooner.

I must admit that I'm still a bit unclear on the size of the pictured plant. Comparing the size of the main stem to the branches and new leaves, it could be under 20cm or around 40cm.
If it hasn't yet exceeded 30cm, then hold back on taking cuttings for a short while.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
dread View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2006 at 09:20

Hi ganga

thanks for all your help ,i think i havent been to clear so here goes

my plan us ive planted seeds and have a number of plants growing ,they are about 50cm tall ,the shoots in the phot are about 70mm tall some now are bigger with a gap  from the first set of leaves to the next.

my plan was to take some cuttings and then put them to flower and when i sex the plants i will know which clones are female

when i
 harvested ill be able to put the clones in to the grow room to flower and therefor dont have to wait for as long for my next harvest also the benefit of knowing all my plants then will be female ,i dont have intentions of holding a mother plant and will just try 2-3 harvests  this year
sorry for the confusion maybe this is clearer

and youre right i do want to put them into flower asap and if i wasnt trying to get clones i would have started already (no smoke)

thanks again
Dread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12