Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ruderalis indica

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hidingtree View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote hidingtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 16:46
ok . right on . so i think most of my question here about the breeding or crossing of ruderalis indica to itself and other strains has been pretty well answered . any one know how long ago sensi stopped using the older style packaging ? this was the issue . the age of the seeds .not so much the germination method . as stated germination of seeds has not been much of a problem except when they may have been dried out from being old . as in this case ... i e-mailed the re- seller yet haven't gotten a response yet . and i have yet to try the newer pack. thought i would try the older one first . i'll post how the next batch is when i have the room to try them . thanks ,~hidingtree

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 17:11
The new packaging was launched right at the end of 2005, so seeds in original packaging may still be fresh.
We give seeds a two year lifespan (quite a conservative estimate - if they're kept properly they may last much longer), so any original packed seeds produced in the second half of 2004 onwards are still what we'd call fresh, assuming they've been kept cool, dark and dry for this time.

AFAIK, we did invite all resellers to return their original-packaged seeds to exchange for the new ones. I think most resellers have made the change already, though there may be resellers who get their seeds through a chain of middlemen, and have not caught up yet.

As for germination, when all's said and done I'd stick to the plates-and-tissue method for any purchased seed.

Submerging isn't automatically a recipe for disaster, but it adds an unnecessary element of risk, when the same saoking can be accomplished with wet tissue.

All the foolish discussion on this thread (that has since been moved elsewhere), basically had that point at the centre. It may be possible to germinate seeds in any number of ways, including bathing them in radiation. But if a method offers no extra advantage and adds an element of risk, it's best to stick to the tried and true method.

If you're using lots and lots of naturally (freely) obtained seeds, it may be less important to take the greatest care, especially if you're looking for the most vigourous plants from a selection of hundreds or thousands of seeds.

In all other cases, I'd favour the safest method.

hidingtree View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote hidingtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2006 at 04:21
thanks ganja ...that was a bit entertaining though (the back and forth )and i agree if seeds are not expendable why risk it ? i'll stick with the tried and true method also . as for "ameriskunk" we need to remember where he (and i ) are from so yes indeed we may be " troubled " it is kind of scary(in amerika) ... especially the laws where he(or she) is in okie land (oklahoma)the laws there are worse than where i live as they are variable by state ... some are basically "decriminalized " where the penalties are not as severe as " zero tolerance states " where one can be put in jail for a year for a joint or a cannabis seed .... for growing cannabis in oklahoma one faces 2-20 years in jail for anything less than 1000 plants ....pretty sad ..... where i live ..." manufacture " as it is referred to (cultivation) carries a punishment of 1 to 5 years in jail and $5000american dollars fine . so i pray for ameriskunk so he gets his (or her ) self sorted out in the mind .. ok peace to all .... if it stops raining where i live for a week or so then outdoors we go! cheers ,~hidingtree

Mutant View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Mutant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 11:17
Hi Hidingtree,

A friend also got some Ruderalis Indica in old style packaging via the UK
with poor germination & some minor deformities due to age of the the seed,
which self-corrected once there were a few more sets of leaves growing.

He then did the following with the rest of the seeds to improve germination:

1) Sterilized some soil in the oven @ 250 degrees C for an hour or so
     in a metal tray covered by foil with some holes to let the steam out.
     (open the windows to let out the smell :)

2) Put the COOLED sterile soil into a pot & planted the remaining seeds
     into the dry soil.

3) Burned some small sticks & grass in a small metal can with small air-holes
     an inch above the bottom until there was a nice little pile of glowing red ashes.
     A small amount of water was then poured into the can with the still-glowing
     ashes to QUICKLY extinguish the ash.
     The ash was then crushed & further mixed with the water & left to soak
      for a few hours.

4) The water was then strained & roughly filtered using paper towels.
     This makes a 'quick & dirty' version of 'smoke-water' which promotes
     fast, vigorous germination. This technique was originally discovered
     for germinating fire-dependent native plants that require a fire to pass
     over before they will germinate.
     This was found to also work well to improve germination of other plants
     which are NOT fire dependent, so it seems to be a genetic survival trait
     to out-compete neighbouring plants after a fire has reduced competition.

5) The yellowish 'smoke-water' was then put into a small 1/2 litre mist-spray
     bottle then sprayed over the soil containing the seeds until moist enough.

The rest of the seeds germinated very fast & were much thicker, healthier
and without deformities. This works very well with many plant species.

Using this method he has even germinated some much older seeds
that would not germinate at all by any other methods that he had tried.

I hope this helps :)

- Regards.
dread View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 14:47
just a quick note ,i have been using a few seeds every year out of a packet (old)of superskunk that i picked up about 3 years ago in the dam and again this year all 3 sprouted ive only 3 left so ill experement some more next year,but there doesnt seem to be a problem this year

also my low ryders i got dont seem to have the autoflowering trait  but are flowering nicely ive put 1 out in the green house with a male low ryder .male super skunk and male sensi skunk ,im hoping for some seeds a little messing around ,does anyone know if these seeds will work or be any good
Dreadweed leafjoint
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 15:04
If the female LR is a good (potent) plant, you could get lots of viable seeds, some of which should display some interesting traits and combinations of traits from the parents.

With three pollen-fathers, you will probably get a massive amount of variation in the offspring and seeds in almost every calyx.

If you do get some spectacular plants from these seeds, it may be impossible to determine which male plant donated the pollen, but this would only really matter if you were trying to stabilise a strain from the offspring.
americano View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote americano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2006 at 17:40
stabilising the strain is what we pay sensi seeds for.
I REMAIN
U KYIN SWAN
Mutant View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Mutant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 03:35
Do they stabilize or hybridize?
americano View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote americano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 18:08
Goed moses mon, if you do that you have some serious time on yoru hands, I can barley stay up with my 12th generation indicas form hawaii, I have now gotten to the point where I have only 1 mother right now, and broke a huge branch today, oh well, I have taken 16 clones form her, and have 3 non sexed aged 1 month plants, and since our Hollandia weeather is so kick ass right now, I dropped my last 11 seeds in the dirt two days back.

This plant has the huge white flowers with only a hint of orange, untill later before picking.
I will get some pics on asap. Super sweet, no heavy smell till late when it starts to dry out before I pick, It gets really crystally, and the typical hawaiian is like nothing else you can find anywhere around europe, unless your plugged into the Islands like me.

I mean all seeds that come from anything that says hawaiian, is usally just some california orange bud, It is possible to get the red to come out of this pure strain, but in this climate and my lat 52 plus degress, I cant see it happening, the soil is also needed, and since I can not  replicate the exact scenario, I cant get the red to come out of this plant.

But I am trying.
I REMAIN
U KYIN SWAN
serial#9 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote serial#9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2006 at 12:02
Sorry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>