Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Outdoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

compost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jacks View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote jacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compost
    Posted: 21 May 2006 at 17:14
hi    im a first time grower of early skunk i live in central england and have no grow shops . what would be the best bag of compost and feed to buy from an every day garden center   cheers 
Bowen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Bowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2006 at 18:22
Get a compost that has a good quantity of peat, maybe some wood chips for structure and some perlite for drainage, and I think that you can youse either chempack 2 or 4, not sure tho, there was another grower from your location that used those ferts.  Maybe he'll chime in with his 2 cents

Hope I could help

Bowen

Edited by Bowen - 21 May 2006 at 21:02
Things are looking up.........grind through it and you'll get there :)
forsh View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote forsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 18:26
 NOW THEN ONE AND ALL  .  JACKS  if you lookin for a top grow  shop try  ,GROW WELL they are just  on the outskirts of solihul  .west midlands  . www.growell . co. uk      . the guys in there will help you   . top blokes .  dont think you will fall off with the advice BOWEN has given you with your compost mix   . try worm castings in your mix   , growell  do 40 lit bags  , high in nitrogen and also adds valuable aeration to your mix .  hope  i was some help  , take it easy and happy growin one and all   . FORSH 
dread View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2006 at 08:36
h i
just watch out for organic compost sold in garden centers ,i planted 2x off my plants in this as an experiment and had terrible results even mixed with perlite
Dread

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2006 at 14:17
I'm not an expert on soil, but from what I know, compost is better used as a soil additive than as the basis of a mix.

Starting with light, slightly acidic potting soil, you can add around  20-30% compost, plus 10-15% perlite (or even coarse sand) for drainage.

This comes from quite an interesting site about standards for organic soil:
"Compost is rarely used alone as a potting medium. Most composts are too porous and the soluble salt levels are often high. Rynk (3) recommends 20 to 30% compost content in potting mixes. Growers may use up to 50% in mixes for larger vegetable transplants.(4)"
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/potmix.html#making
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
DonQuichote View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote DonQuichote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 22:32
Compost is a kind of slow-food for the plants. You mix it with the soil once a year, and it keeps feeding the plants with nutritients that are easily solved in water.
This is an advantage and a disadvantage. If you want full control over the growing process (less likely for an outdoor grower), compost will make the process unpredictable.
But on the other hand, it is nearly impossible to overfeed plants with compost.

I tried compost as well to grow seeds in (vetegeables) and all I got were fungi. Even used coffee powder got me better results (yep, I like experimenting). For the seedlings, any flower pot ground will do, I guess. For larger plants, you can add some compost.
The world's first phyberpunk
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 11:08
compost is best if you make it by yourself.
If you buy it in a shop you should look at the package, is it for food plants or for flowers?
if its for food plants it is tested what the ingredients are. If its for flowers it can contain heavy metals and other , for human toxic, ingredients.( same for wormsh*t )
wormsh*t is compost eaten by worms, the food inside is direct available for the roots,without a chance for burn.( it gives NO air to soil) as said in an above message, but the opposit , its sticky when wet, you should put some sand or perlite in it for the air and drainage.
Compost is very good as a toplayer, and a very mild food, it helps the biologic proces, you can not overfeed with it.you can give in the whole plantlife, for example at the start a top layer and after that every few weeks a few hands full per plant.It is not a slow food as said in the above message , it is mild, but strong enough if well made for example 2-2-2.
if you use it dont use synthetic fluids or food, it kills compost and its working insects, bacterias,worms.You can make your own compost from your weedplant.waste.
start the pile with small branches from trees, than a small layer leafs(1cm), than some soil(1cm) with a little lime and bonemeal, bloodmeal and potassum ( small amounts )repeat this leaf/sticks and soil, some compost can be added or compostmaker, keep it wet, but not to wet, to start the proces and to keep it working, if its rainy, cover the pile with plastic, if its warm and dry give some water. Instead of compostmaker you can use a mix of water, sugar and yeast, to start the proces.the minimum size of the pile should be 1.2mtr x 1.2 mtr (4 foot x 4 foot), height at least 1 mtr. dont put a too thick layer of leafs and mix it with the stems for more air.other things can be added like coffeefilters (N) , nettles, camomille, etc.
the more variety the better. twice a year mix it all over and next year you have your own compost for free (almost).

Some say friends do not exist, we cant make words for things that do not exist...
Willie van het Kerkhof, Groningen NL
 Post Reply Post Reply