Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Latest News
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Science vs Prohibition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kidsreturn View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote kidsreturn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2006 at 02:28
"also there is the opinion that (...)"

Yes I edited my previous post so to hihlight this a little more.
enkigooroo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote enkigooroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2006 at 07:48
Hi Kidsreturn,

You are doing great! I admire your knowledge and seemingly endless resources on this subject!
I wish I had more time to study them all, personally I am interested in all science, and read all
the latest research news as it is published, which occasionally contains news about pot.

Education of the known accurate facts on the subject seems to fall on deaf ears for those
on the "right", who gobble up all the misinformation to maintain a self-deceived opinion.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Smoking Marijuana

Smoking marijuana is gaining moral acceptance, particularly among Democrats and Independents. Forty-seven percent of you believe that smoking marijuana is acceptable, but there are stark differences by party. Democrats are more likely to approve the use of marijuana, while a majority of Republicans feel it is never permissible.

source:
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote enkigooroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2006 at 08:10
Hi Kidsreturn,

Here is a link to that published study about pot being good for your brain by
promoting new brain cells, be sure to check the long list of references at the
end of the report:

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

Thanks again!!

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote kidsreturn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2006 at 21:21
Originally posted by enkigooroo

Hi Kidsreturn,

Here is a link to that published study about pot being good for your brain by
promoting new brain cells, be sure to check the long list of references at the
end of the report:

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis and produce anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects

Thanks again!!

Yes, thanks too, glad if some linked pages do interest people. And yes i'd seen this cannabic neurogenesis, pretty astonishing (puzzling, as say some scientist). It's incredible how much things we know on some subjects, and how some less politicaly correct subjects can be scientific no man's lands. Hopefully the trend to scientifically study cannabis is bound to stay, exept for where it's still totally illegal to grow cannabis even for research purposes.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 12:17

I was reading a couple of articles the other day that really made my blood boil.

First was the DEA's scheduling of illegal drugs in the
US. Schedule 1 drugs are the most seriously prosecuted, attract the biggest punishments, and are rated as having a 'high potential for abuse and no accepted medical value'. Schedule 2 drugs are those that the DEA/US govt. considers 'less' dangerous.

SCHEDULE 1 - Heroin, morphine and their synthetic equivalents (huge medicinal value, but very dangerous and addictive drugs), plus LSD, MDMA, psilocybin, DMT, GHB and .... wait for it ... CANNABIS!

SCHEDULE 2 - Cocaine, crack cocaine, amphetamine, methamphetamine, PCP, oxycontin, opium,

http://www.dea.gov/pubs/scheduling.html

Truly amazing. Most of the drugs which ANY scientist will tell you are known to cause insanity, death, violence and massive addiction are rated as less serious than cannabis and other hallucinogens.

MDMA (ecstasy) is the love-inducing, slightly psychedelic relative of methamphetamine. The latter is highly addictive, mood altering, prone to abuse and very prone to induce psychosis (whether temporary or permanent); it's THE drug that's currently tearing through the young populations of the west and
Asia.

And meth is listed by the DEA as less serious and harmful than ecstasy. That's not a matter of opinion, that's simply and wildly incorrect. Maybe meth's 'medical value' comes from the fact that it's given to 'ADHD' kids under the brand-name desoxyn?

It's right there, codified on government websites - drugs which are generally non-addictive, which make people think and laugh, and some of which grow naturally form the planet and need no processing - they're the ones that are a danger to society and the people who take them. The drugs which unquestionably cause violence, stupidity and, crucially, less thinking - they're the ones that are seen as less harmful.

Not a mistake, a conscious plan for evil, IMHO.

And a few days later, this little bit of text almost made my head explode (maybe I'm suffering from cannabis psychosis):

"Since 2001, Craker has been seeking a license from the Drug Enforcement Administration to establish a medical-marijuana growth facility at UMass-Amherst. It would be the second such facility in the
US; at present, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, a federal agency, produces the only legal supply of cannabis in the country at the University of Mississippi.

The DEA lists cannabis as a Schedule I drug, meaning that it has a high potential for abuse and no accepted medical uses. However, marijuana is unique on the Schedule I roster-which also includes cocaine, LSD, and MDMA (Ecstasy)-as the only substance that is not available from multiple independent producers for clinical research purposes."

Aaaargh!

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2006 at 12:41
Originally posted by enkigooroo

Hi Kidsreturn,
 There is also the opinion's that those with schizophrenia mental disorders are "self medicating" making it seem to be a cause, also there is the opinion that those that choose pot are a unique subset that includes those with schizophrenia mental disorders. The same could be said for peaceful people, does pot "cause" people to be peaceful, or do a subset of people who are peaceful choose pot?? Did "hippys" choose pot, or did pot cause people to become "hippys"??
Cheers,,,,

Wel, it did mellow me out a bit, when I was an irascible teenager...

There is a lot of noise made about a Swedish study (possibly produced by Jasmine Hurd at the Karolinska institute) which looked at army conscripts (ie the entire Swedish male population born in a given year, since they have mandatory national service).

The study seemed able to 'predict' future mental illness, with some correlation to those conscripts who smoked cannabis. Based on this kind of reverse-science, a pattern could be perceived by anyone who was already decided about the horrific effects of cannabis.

The funny thing is that if the same study is performed with alcohol considered as a factor, heavy drinking is four times as reliable a predictor of future mental illness as cannabis.

Similarly, people with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses are far more likely to smoke cigarettes than the average person.

Naturally, such studies are not done very often (or not publicised), as there are rich and powerful interests which are sure that their product does not cause such problems...

I don't think the higher use of cannabis (or tobacco, or alcohol, for that matter) has much bearing on mental health. The question is presented as a 'chicken and egg' type  of problem - do they self-medicate or are their problems caused by the substance they use?

The simple way to see through the hype is to recognise that while sufferers of mental illness may have a higher incidence of smoking cannabis, cannabis smokers definitely do not have a higher incidence of mental illness.
Simple. No chicken and egg. The equation has to balance on both sides.

Incidentally,
if you believe in evolution, the chicken also had to come first...
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote kidsreturn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 12:36
To get back on a earlier point, i wonder how much progress of science is linked to common public enlightment. Certainly a little, and it's hard to imagine that logic (economic, social, medical, any kind of logic) can be disconected so much longer from the prohibitions' popular support.

At the same time theres a thresold of the cumulative anger and problems directly caused by prohibition (problems such as health problem linked to black market drugs or enjailment, in longtime degraded structures, of otherwise non dangerous citizens) that our governments most often know how to handle. The part of smokers that are made legal example of is apparently not enough to push the others to defend the issue as an important civil right issue (that would be crossing the thresold), nor to diminish the drugs consumption for that matter; and the part of smokers that suffer from drugs but because of prohibition will often by themselves, like the society, point finger at the drug but not at the prohibition. Thats some textbook vicious circle. [/rant mode off]
hidingtree View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote hidingtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2006 at 14:41
ok , science in united states has said cannabis is of medicinal value . yet the government says it has none . the united states made cannabis illegal around 1937 . this was the first part of thier evil plan .it was easy because the american peple were just recovering from the historical "great depression " where the stock market crash left many people penniless and to fend for themselves this began the selfishness most americans have to deal with where they are only concerned about themselves and thier families and screw everyone else . there was a great boook that came out in the late 80s or early 90s ... by jack herer called " the emperor wears no clothes " it makes sense of how cannabis (hemp ) can literally save the world and how the uprising of corporations producing synthetic fibers (chemicals and oil ).were threatened by the long lasting, easily,and naturally produced fiber of cannabis hemp.the huge cotton farming industry that raped the land and left it dead also had alot to do with prohibition in united stastes and thus the entire world!!!! however the evil beings that have governed this country (and many other countries) don't seem to want to save te world ... they want to destroy it ...and make thier selfish money . one conversation i had with a friend was about how maybe it is the plan of the Almighty to see if we can spread the consciousness and opening of the minds doors through the use of cannabis to those that have thier minds door closed by years of brain washing . with the huge non acceptance of cannabis by republicans (who dominate the government in our country it can be quite frightening ... being a martyr for the sacred plant ?????? how do we fight it non violently .... we must .... or????????

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote enkigooroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2006 at 09:02

I was reading through some of Kidsreturn's links, (thanks KR) and wondered if anyone
had studied or reported on the "70 different cannabinoids" in weed? (see source below) This is an interesting thing to me, since different weed has different effects, could this be nailed down to a particular unique set of cannabinoids? I always theorized the different highs had to mean there were different drug variants involved.
Would it not be as interesting to the smoker as to the researcher to identify these differences, and be able to test for them individually?

Cheers!

Source:

Just what have you been smoking?

THC is the best known active ingredient of cannabis, but by no means the only one. At the last count, marijuana was known to contain nearly 70 different cannabinoids, as THC and its cousins are collectively known. These chemicals activate receptor molecules in the human body, particularly the cannabinoid receptors on the surfaces of some nerve cells in the brain, and stimulate changes in biochemical activity. But the details often remain vague—in particular, the details of which molecules are having which clinical effects.

More clinical research would help. In particular, the breeding of different varieties of cannabis, with different mixtures of cannabinoids, would enable researchers to find out whether one variety works better for, say, multiple sclerosis-related spasticity while another works for AIDS-related nerve pain. However, in the United States, this kind of work has been inhibited by marijuana's illegality and the unwillingness of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to license researchers to grow it for research.

Q´sGhost View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Q´sGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2007 at 19:39
hey its the first time a MS patient gets cannabis from the doctor against pain here in germany ... arent these good fckn news ? :) gd smoke !
1 TIME FOR YOUR MIND, BODY AND SOUL !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>