Cannabis Forum > Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum > Recipes
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Recipes without the high: anybody? I tried...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
leodp View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote leodp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recipes without the high: anybody? I tried...
    Posted: 02 February 2016 at 10:15
Hi!

I like to cook with cannabis.
I like the flavour, the smell it adds, especially when roasted or sauted.
But I also would like to eat it or sharing with others without necessarily feeling the high, or getting unwillingly "medicated" by high CBD/THC strains.

Last year I have grown some industrial hemp (I think it was Futura75, image attached), which can be taken to the floral stage and harvested legally where I live. It's a monoecious/hermaphrodite variety which produces a lot of seeds. Buds are small and compact with very little smell, even when bruised.
I cooked with buds and I also made infused butter.
Results were not satisfactory: no flavour & smell at all (as expected, giving the start material), even when increasing the plant matter concentration to where the first mind effects became perceivable.
Same flat sensory experience with the variety Tipo 31, another industrial hemp selection (THC<0.3%).

Does anybody have any experience with cannabis recipes which combine smell, flavour and absence of high?
I have read that raw cannabis contains THCA & CBDA and almost no THC, so a possibility would be to juice or blend it and avoid heating it during the preparation, in order to avoid the decarboxylation of THCA in THC.
This restricts quite a bit the cooking procedures.
I also suspect that the drying and curing of the plant before usage if on one side could improve the smell/flavour, on the other would increase THC at least to a certain extent and make the recipe psychoactive.

Are there some strains which bring with them the full sensorial experience and almost no THC or CBD?

Are there high CBD varieties with a low enough THC content to make them legal in many lands (say THC<0.3%) and an intensive smell (skunk?) even if at the cost of a higher CBD % content?

Thanks,
Leodp
CowardlyCustard View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2016 at 18:22
some of the ruderalis strains might give you somewhere near what you seek but i dont think what you want exists. sorry i cant help you more but the aroma and flavor are a cocktail of volatile organic chemicals that would be pretty difficult to replicate a lab let alone your kitchen. besides its the thc and cbd among other chemicals that do you good. why would you want to do with out them? if you dont want to get high use strict measures when you are preparing your edibles. always use a recipe and stick to it. getting creative when cooking with pot can lead to dire consequences and hellishly introspective moments that a person can do with out. if you use a piece of paper and a pen you can work out by weight how much each edible has got in it and then adjust your dose to get the effects you want and not some nasty surprise that can come from underestimating the active contents of the piece of food you just swallowed and will have to endure till its ride is finished. when you eat pot your body metabolises it in to a different form of thc which is ten times more psychoactive so just be aware of that fact and you should be fine. im pretty sure cbd has no psychoactive effects so it doesnt matter how much you consume as its mental effects are negligible but its biological effects are good for you.
Nec Plus Ultra
leodp View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote leodp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 09:41
CowardlyCustard, thanks for the ruderalis hint.

Yes, I guess the only possibility of having smell/flavor and no THC is going to the CBD varieties.
I will not go so easy by saying that it doesn't matter how much CBD you consume: it is still a chemical which has effects on our endocannabinoid receptors and alters the physiology.
And I also think it's not correct to say that "
when you eat pot your body metabolises it in to a different form of thc which is ten times more psychoactive". At the end it's the THC concentration in the blood that counts. Oral administration compared to lung intake has a completely different threshold (so overall you probably need to take more) and time response (onset, duration, wear-off) which can be measured in hours instead of minutes, besides being difficult to correctly guess how much to eat, due to the delayed response. These things contribute to the intensity of the experience.
I know the risks of cooking with cannabis you are mentioning. My idea was to avoid them all by finding strains with almost no THC, in principle even legal (at least in the countries which allow cannabis with THC<0.3% or so).

Let's give breeders some more time. They have done wonders selecting for fiber, seeds, THC, and now for CBD.
I'm sure in the future, when the legalization settles in  in more and more states, we'll se new varieties, not only targeted for the industrial, "recreational" or medical use.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 11:22
when you eat cannabis it is metabolized by your liver. you liver converts delta-9-thc in to 11-hydroxy-thc. this is considered to be up to 10 times more psychoactive than the delta-9-thc. please read this http://cannabis-med.org/index.php?tpl=journal&id=228&lng=en&fid=:&red=journallist open the pdf link on the page and you will learn what you need to know.
Nec Plus Ultra
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 12:54
There is a newly released strain called "Therapy" by the CBD crew that is consistently testing at approx 8-10% CBD and 0.5% THC, this might be what you are looking for.

http://cbdcrew.org/varieties/cbd-therapy/

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
leodp View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote leodp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 14:12
CC: 10 times more psychoactive is not a number written on stone, but for sure the liver involvement makes things quite more complicated. I have found an interesting thread with multiple references here:
http://marijuana.com/community/threads/11-oh-d-9-thc-more-powerful-than-d-9-thc.151289/

alecky: THANKS! That may be worth a try.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 16:41
thats the great thing about research leo. everything changes all the time. yesterday its ten, today its four (browne and weissmann 1981), tomorrow it might be six. trying to get consensus in the scientific community is tricky at the best of times but even more so for compounds that the law says are schedule 1 and that extremely few people are doing credible research on. 
Nec Plus Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply