Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Smokers' lounge
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

ducting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CowardlyCustard View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ducting
    Posted: 26 February 2016 at 14:20
i just thought i would share some observations of the different types of ducting i have used since starting this hobby.

tumble dryer vent duct is fine but a little too flexible for my liking.
stiff aluminium foil duct is good but will develop pinholes in it eventually.
acoustic ducting is a nightmare to work with or at least the piece i bought was as the fibreglass filler between the pipes was awful stuff.
combi ducting is the best stuff i have used so far, silver on the inside and black on the outside not sure it dampens the sound much but the double skin of the pipe gives me a little extra piece of mind that its not going to leak.

Nec Plus Ultra
SkinupPinup View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote SkinupPinup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2016 at 17:57
I've heard it bandied back and forth that acoustic ducting isn't actually quieter - how's that been for you in your experience? I've never actually seen anyone attempt acoustic ducting but I've also heard that it's a pain.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2016 at 13:12
as the filling is fiberglass its more difficult to get and keep straight and taut which can be a nightmare. the noise comes from turbulence as the air passes over the spiral winding inside the duct. the smoother the inside of your duct is the less resistance there will be leaving you a little quieter running. i have a filter/fan/silencer/ducting set up which brings me down to super quiet and with my fan controller turned down at lights off its down to nearly a whisper. 
Nec Plus Ultra
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote SkinupPinup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2016 at 18:19
So theoretically, one could sand down the fiberglass for a quieter result?
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote CowardlyCustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2016 at 01:21
the layer of fibreglass between the inner and outer pipes is very thin and flexible or at least it was with the stuff i had so sanding is not an option. if you were to put it in some box trunking, that would help absorb some the sound as its reflected back in to the fibreglass off the trunking. when i do my next refit i will be using a mixture of solid and combi ducting to try and get the best out of my fans, filters and silencers.
Nec Plus Ultra
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote SkinupPinup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2016 at 18:10
Cool - thanks for clarifying! I wasn't planning on using acoustic ducting anytime soon but was simply curious.
 Post Reply Post Reply