Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Plant Gender
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

NEED help detect a male/female

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEED help detect a male/female
    Posted: 03 June 2006 at 16:42
Hi,

i got them in folowering.
Now they really really look female but 1 has a ball hanging looks to me
like the male i had kicked out the first week but this one is really female... all white hair but has a few balls but out of them hair is coming out but the ball that concerns me didnt open yet and he is hanging downwords...please help me make the right decision i dont wanna loose a female shes gonna be a heavyweight when it comes to buds BUT i dont want a shemale destroying my sensemilia dreams..thanks
marijuana keeps me calmer, makes me smarter, burnin down the high way, the highest grade gettin to my head
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 18:33
Hi hydrodon

From your description without any picture I think you've encountered a Hermie.
This is quite common and probably the only one you've got, but it's best to get rid of it before it starts to fertilize your crop and make you some seeds.
Other reason for it being hermie could be due to light leaks in the dark period, which could effect other females you may have. Recently during a winter grow, I had an oil filled radiator which was always on during the dark period. This had a thumb sized red light indicator when on, the 2 nearest ladie's turned hermie and grew male balls on the flower nodes and within the buds. Got em out as soon as I noticed. So an electrical appliance with any switch which is lit could give you a "light leak".
So if you think you've got a hermaphrodite get rid of it, and check for any signs of light leaks....keep safe....Stash
I soar like a bird in the wind , though I glide as I'm flying through Heaven.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 19:17
If you're really keen to save this plant for flowering, you could remove the potentially male flower and just keep a very close eye on that plant (as well as checking for that light-leak).

She may grow a few more staminate flowers (which can also be removed ASAP), and then grow no more, continuing into the large yielding female you're predicting.

If lots of balls start appearing out all over the plant, remove it from the garden.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 19:32

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

I only saw one ball hanging so i thought about ripping it off the plant.

Is that a good idea?  The plant has other balls but they are not hanging and they opened slightly and white hair is coming out of them :)

i must admit its hard to kill it when you see so many buds everywhere with so much white hair.. i guess i will wait some more or rip that hangin one off..thanks

marijuana keeps me calmer, makes me smarter, burnin down the high way, the highest grade gettin to my head
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 19:35
Anything roundish with white hairs coming out of it is a female flower. Leave it on the plant!

Any pod that hangs away from the stem, and does not have a pair of hairs is a male flower. Rip it off!
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
hydrodon View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote hydrodon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 21:25

Ok Ganja, i will do so..its got both but so far i just discovered one hanging ball..and i got to admit that i violated the dark period several times but only by a short time and i know its bad so im gonna stop it!! Ganja u help so much, you deserve to smoke some :)

P.S.: One thing that really did go wrong so far is the use of a 115w maxgrow bulb. Because of that the plants are not compact, too huge, kinda thin stem and skinny BUT buds are growing and i see lots lots of white hair :)

I got 10 females out of 14. i expected 5 cos its usualy 50/50 so it should've been 7 but i got ten! So some space issues but it works out..maybe that 3 days darkness gave me 10 girls i dont know, if someone would've told me that in advance i'd start with less seeds!! can u msg me ur email ganja? 

Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2006 at 21:43
Hello,

the certain way to detect a male trait is when pollen hase sunk down onto the pistils, and seeds form. Before that happens, watch out for green-yellow bananas with fewer resin glands than female bracts have! On the other hand pollination no matter if accidentally or by purpose is an experience which every grower should have made once.

Uli
Sticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Sticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2006 at 03:00
A skunk, its a hard lesson to learn for you ouch"

I tend to agree with you, Get them out of contact with each other dont allow them to touch, fans can polinate aswell by blowing early powder

If your not sure pop them out side for a week, They will show there sex

But most of all have patience hydrodon, Diffrent strains have diffrent needs, I still find blueberry A hard one to call with its unique pistols ?

Next time man take a cutting from them all and wack it under fluros for 12 hrs a day,  Your cuttings will show there sex within 2 weeks, and you can avoide cross polination altogether ?

I agree with you uli trial and error make good growers

Peace to all ya"

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2006 at 12:31
For some reason, I thought you were only flowering two or three females, so saving one was of more importance.

If you've got 10 plants and you're actually a little short of space, then you might want to get rid of the female that grew the single pod, unless it's one of your most promising plants, structure/resin-wise.

It should be noted that female plants can put out staminate flowers in response to a range of conditions, and this reaction doesn't necessarily mean that it will continue to grow them.
A distinctly female plant producing a few male flowers does not mean that plant is a full blown hermaphrodite, especially if the staminate flowers are grown in response to stressful conditions.

In the latest edition of Marijuana Horticulture, Cervantes mentions a few times that he doesn't like the word 'hermaphrodite', and uses the term 'intersex' to refer to plants which grow flowers of both sexes.
He points out that intersexuality of plants ranges from almost unnoticeable (one or two 'bananas" - single anthers - produced on a large plant that's been flowered for a few weeks past its ripest point) to full-blown intersex/hermaphrodism, where a  plant produces large numbers of male and female flowers all through its reproductive cycle.

Under the right circumstances (including chemical/hormone treatment), I think every cannabis plant can become (or be made) intersexual.

Hydrodon, I may have mis-read your description, but I got the idea that the plant we're talking about was displaying a lot of female flowers (is it a few weeks into flowering?), and just a single staminate pod.

With this sort of ratio I'd hope that the plant wasn't particularly inclined towards intersexuality.
If the plant looks particularly promising, I'd try to keep it and devote 10 minutes each day to checking it thoroughly for more staminate pods.

If this plant is not that much better than the other nine, and if you don't really have space, then it's probably better to be safe than sorry - turf it or move it away.
 Post Reply Post Reply