Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Cloning
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing a Weak Mother Plant with Clones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GI-DRO View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote GI-DRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing a Weak Mother Plant with Clones
    Posted: 04 July 2006 at 00:02

recently i moved to a new location.  a few days after moving I took a big cloning.....after that it looked like the mom I cloned wasnt doing as well as she usually is but i thought with a little Tlc she would be fine.  She has taken a real turn for the worse.......she looks completely wilted, her leaves have turned a brownish green.....she looks like she is dying.....does anyone know what is happening?...please help save my mom 

fush                          buck
Sticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Sticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 02:07
Hi Gi-Dro.

A few things could have happened along the way to her, Or she diddnt like her new home?

How old is she Gi-Dro? Usally a good rule with Mothers is to regenereate  new Mother every 3-4 months.

I have taken two many cuttings from a mother before to have her take a real dive, it could be that you cut to much from her and she has gone into shock, The move wouldnt have helped either, 30% is a good number to take at one time from her.

Dont worry bring a new mother up, How are your cuttings looking ?

If you insist on trying to save your mother, lift your light up a couple of feet higher than normal, And feed her fresh nutrient feeds for the next 2 weeks, I cant remember if your hydro or soil ? Doesent really matter?

good luck hope this helps you.

Sticky smoke eye
GI-DRO View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote GI-DRO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 04:10

ty for the quick reply

her new home was a little humid, but she was only in that enviroment for a few days, then i purchased a dehumidifer and saw a great reduction in the hunidity level.

as to her age, she is approx.  9-11 months old

when i cloned her, i also pruned her  alittle bit....it is possible i took too much off her, but i have done that to her before with no problem.

the cuttings im not sure....i have to say, the clone stems were not as robust as i expected. perhaps she was declining prior to the cloning.

what i have done so far is flush her out both with water and water/superthrive. she was in a rockwool 6x6 cube, so i put her in a 5 gallon pot and surrounded her with mini RW cubes.

would removing the rockwool from her roots be helpful? im thinking the medium has to be replaced????????
fush                          buck
Sticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Sticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 06:58
I wouldnt play with the roots or try to separate the medium from them, If your worried about the wool not being healthy, Run some diluted peroxide thrue the wool it will sanatize and disinfect any nastys you may have in there, along with break down any salt build ups, if you have lots of what looks like green mold around the top of the plant on the wool it will clear that away as well.

i Use oxi plus, its in most grow shops.

9-11 months is getting on, my best advice is start a new mother, Your new cuttings should be better from a new mother as well but if they have stretched, start again from seed.

Good luck man

Sticky smoke eye

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2006 at 12:33
Yeah, the most important thing is to take as many healthy cuttings as you can, while the plant still has healthy growth. The clones will preserve the genotype perfectly.

Taking too many cuttings might speed up the death of the mother, but waiting for her to recover before taking cuttings may result in losing her altogether.

Mother plants have a limited life span. No matter how well you keep your mothers, at some point, each individual plant will be approaching the end of its life; its root structure, and its semi-wood trunk are not designed to live for multiple seasons.

The important thing to remember about preserving genotypes/mother plants is that there is no degradation between a mother plant and the clones it produces.

The idea that the mother plant is 'generation 1' and the clones cut from it are 'generation 2' , and clones cut from those are 'generation 3' is a growing myth/urban legend.

Environmental factors can affect the survival of a genotype, but there is no genetic difference between a mother plant and the clones she produces.

On general principles, we try to keep each mother alive and making clones for as long as possible, but when the that mother plant is reaching the end of its life, don't hesitate to make her into as many clones as possible and replace her with the healthiest of her clone-offspring.

In a few weeks or months, the replacement will be big enough to yield clones of its own, and the genotype is preserved.

I had a very similar experience just recently, trying to save a precious mother. The plant itself was very unhealthy, and cutting her back didn't improve matters. It was touch-and-go for a week or so, while I waited to see if any of her yellowing and spider-mite stricken clones would pull through and make roots. Two weeks after cutting, I have at least four rooted clones, and I think another few will make it.

The mother plant has continued to deteriorate, and I will do what I can to save her. But as long as I have even one rooted clone, the pressure is off, because that genotype is preserved (for the moment).
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 18:53
I go ahead with this old post.  I noticed that the clones seem not as bushy as the mother plant. Moreover ,  the main stem is bigger and higher then the corresponding in the mother plant.  I noticed also that the big fan leaves turn yellow before  those in the mother. just some few time before the harvest so not a big problem but I do not think it is normal.    
I am happy to understand from the previous Ganja post that a good clone can be a new mother and so on for long time, but I am a bit concern for such a differencies.  Someone with the same experience ??    
 Post Reply Post Reply