Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Plant Gender
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Breeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
crazyirish View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote crazyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breeding
    Posted: 19 March 2007 at 16:08
Im thinkin of trying to make my own strain i think i understand how it works just need sum info. I hav 2 grow spaces and 2 flowering bulbs in the same room both closed off from eachother. The way ive been told to do it is grow male and female (diferent strains) with male in one room and female in the other then when the male is ful of polen put a bag over A male branch then shake the plant to AlowThe polen to stay in the bag and the put the bag over the female branch and then wil polenate the female and keep repeating the proces by growing the seeds from the polenated plant
Jurt wondering if this info is correct
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 17:21
Hello,

it is a bit too correct. Even a small male plant produces that much pollen that there is no need to collect it. Check it everyday, and when its flowers open, shake it, see the yellow pollen dust sink down and make a plan! On one hand a bantam staminate can father thousands of seeds; on the other hand pollen soon dies under light and humidity. On one hand a bantam pistillate can grow much more seeds than you will be able to use in the following generation of a small-scale indoor cultivation; on the other hand it takes more time, care and luck to grow seed than bud.

Sometimes you will experience strange inheritances or infertility. For example Macks Futter pollinated by Haze did not grow any seeds, probably due to the indoor growing environment being improper for a fiber-and-seed-strain, due to high humidity (I did not have a fan but mistakenly relied on the chimney effect for ventilation) and due to the great difference between both races, making them seperate species. Other crossings (Haze F1, (Shiva Shanti x Haze) x Haze and (Shiva Shanti x Macks Futter) x Haze) of that time were sucessfull.

Lastly, when you name a cross the pistillate part comes first. If my guess that the animal kingdom follows the female x male rule is right then my cross name is Ursula x Peter.

Uli
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2007 at 21:21
Hi Crazyirish, the method you describe is good for getting seeds, but tecnically you're not creating a new strain. If you cross, for example, Northern Lights x Haze, the seeds that result will grow into vastly different plants, ranging from 100% NL to 100% Haze and everything in between.

In order to create a new strain, you need to stabilise the plants that shows the best characteristics through several generations of back-crossing, until you eventually end up with seeds that are fairly uniform and only produce a small number of regular phenotypes. You usually need large growrooms or greenhouses to do this, so you can grow lots of seeds and select the best plants for every back-crossing.

This is all just technical stuff, however, and there's no reason why home-produced seeds won't grow into nice plants.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
crazyirish View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote crazyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2007 at 12:45
thanks for the info guys
rajasdope View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rajasdope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2007 at 06:57
I have a question about breeding as well. I have some Afghani #1 plants that have now been in bloom for 1 week. I have been told by many to trash the males so I can get sensimilla. I haven't identified sex, but I was wondering about how long I can take after identification before I trash the males? Well, I don't really want to trash them, I want to get some seeds, but not have any seedy weed. A friend of mine suggested isolating the males and females, maybe taking the males outside and leaving the females inside. Take some wax paper, scrape some pollen from the males, wrap a female bud with the wax paper, and leave it for a couple of days there. Does this sound like it would work? Also, will the light cycles alter the males so badly that they will not pollinate if I bring them outside, after having lived inside their entire lives? Thanks.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2007 at 15:23

That technique should work to pollinate individual female flowers. The males will need to be kept somewhere warm and bright after you take them out of the growroom. They will also need to continue getting 12/12 light/dark if you want them to produce pollen. Their growth might slow down as they get used to the new environment, but if you keep the conditions rights, they will survive.

rajasdope View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rajasdope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 06:08
    I read that males can produce low amounts of weed, but I was wondering if you could make hash with the male plant. Would you recomend making hash out of these Afghani #1 males? Also, the plants are recieving 9hrs. of light each day, so taking them outside would give them nearly 12hrs. of light, would this force it into a vegitative state? Thanks.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 14:57
12hrs light/12hrs dark is the blooming photoperiod.

There's no hash to extract from male plants. You're better off cooking with the leaves.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
rajasdope View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rajasdope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 22:44
12hrs. light and 12hrs. of light is the photoperiod for bloom?  I have them on 9hrs. of light per day at this time.  Is this the right amount of controlled light for bloom cycle?  Will the females still produce on this cycle?  I have both the males and females on this cycle.  How much time do I have from after sex identification before they begin to pollinate?  I am planning on getting the males outside of the room, and control pollinating.  When will the females start to accept the male pollen?  How many times should I apply the pollen?  Also, which part of the plant should I apply it to for a controlled method?  Look below for the method of controlled pollinating that I will be using for more info.  Thanks so much.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 23:50
Yeah, rajasdope, 12 light/12 dark is what you want for flowering, they'll still grow with nine hours light, but will yield more if they get the extra three hours every day. The males will start to shed pollen around 3-4 weeks into flower, the females will be receptive at around the same time.

If you want to pollinate one branch on a female, get a plastic bag and put it over a male branch that is shedding lots of pollen (ie lots of small yellow/white flowers that are already open) and shake the pollen into the bag. Take the bag and put it over one branch of your female, then shake again. You can leave it there for a while if you like, to make sure it is thoroughly pollinated.

Make sure you dont allow pollen to get all over the other branches, or the plant will concentrate all its energy into producing seeds instead of buds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>