Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Yellowing cotyledons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rajasdope View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rajasdope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellowing cotyledons
    Posted: 28 March 2007 at 05:38
    I am having a problem with some of my starter leaves. They seem to be turning yellow on a couple of my plants. These are the round leaves, not the jagged ones. My plant is about 5 weeks old. On a couple of the plants one of the round leaves is turning yellow and the other one isn't. The stocks look fine, and the other leaves are fine except for a couple of red/yellow spots and splotches. I believe the spots and splotches on those leaves is caused by rust. I felt one of the larger spots and it cracked, so I guess that the spots cause dehydration of the effected area. I found a couple of holes in some of my plants so I started treating with neem oil, but it didn't seem to counter the "Rust." I read on Wikipedia that neem can treat rust. I can't send any pictures right now, but I will describe the red/yellow splotches. They are smooth just like the leaf, and they exist on the top side of the leaf. They are large and they are not around the edges of the leaf, but the center area. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please respond. Thank you.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 11:02
(moved your post to a new topic)

Yellowing cotyledons should never cause a grower to worry (except in the cases where they're the only leaves on the plant).

It's normal for cotyledons to whither and fall away when a plant has a few sets of true leaves.

If the red spots on the upper leaves really are the kind of 'rust' than affects plants, then this is a type of fungus, I think.

You can treat with a suphur-based fungicide, or simply dust the affected areas with a light coating of baking soda (this should upset the pH balance of the fungus and cause it to die).
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 22:43

also try looking here for clues

Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
Quarzen View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Quarzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2007 at 23:29
dont be afraid if leveas turn yellow or even fall off. its an effect of less light and high humidity. look at the plants outside, no one cares if the leaves fall off, only the plant knows that its equal.
holistics link fits to nearly every leaf problem.

send us some pics if available.

good smoke ! weed leaf

Quarzen

Sensi Seeds: the Indoor/Greenhouse Collection - amazing strains for indoor or outdoor growing!
blackmore View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2007 at 21:23
ive got a 85W CFL on my seedling.
humidity is low...30s  
about 2.5 weeks old

and i have the same problem. but this is way too soon in the plants life.
the cotyledons are withering away and the first set of leaves is yet to fully come out.
They Are there...about 2mm worth is peeking out.

i am worried. dont know what to do. been thinking its a nitrogen deficiency.
but the seedlinds too young for any ferts, ive read.

any one been able to solve this problem?

and ive heard about people throwing in an iron nail, copper wiring, zinc in the soil. which eventually oxidize or ionize into the soil providing nutrients to the plant.
any truth or point to this?
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2007 at 22:30
The yellow seedling is probably dying. I had this happen to me recently with two White Skunk seedlings (from de Sjamaan). The germination rate on the seeds was very low and the two that managed to sprout both stopped growing and started to wilt when they were very small. I kinda managed to get them growing again with a bit of root stimulator, but they were still very weak so I scrapped them.

I'm not sure exactly why they failed to grow, but it was most likely a problem with the soil (ie too damp, wrong pH, etc). However, my ERSB seeds are all growing fine in the same soil, so the poor-quality WS seeds were probably a factor as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply