Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Germination, Seedlings & Vegetative Growth
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Triplet plant..?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
positronic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote positronic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triplet plant..?
    Posted: 11 April 2007 at 00:59
This is the first time I`ve ever seen this...

2 plants have been growing 3 sets of leaves instead of 2; one is Shiva Shanti, one is Mexican Sativa.

Any ideas ??

*Started out like this with 3 cotyledons...

*Turned into this...

*Now...

??

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope" FFF Bros
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 09:57
Whorled philotaxy. Can cause three, four or (possibly) even more leaves per internode.

I don't think it's a trait that is easily passed on to seed offspring, but this individual plant is quite likely to continue growing three leaves/bud sites instead of two at each internode, which could make for a very nice mother plant, assuming this plant is female and potent.

There's one guy trying to sell seeds of a strain that he says will always produce three nodes for CAD$20,000 (10 seeds). Yes, twenty thousand.
I won't give the web address, as I fear he'd get a lot of sarcastic emails.
(try googling 'ricky' and 'triplenode' for a laugh)

Hope this plant grows well for you and turns out to be a female.

Did you germinate other plants from the same seeds? If so, I'd be interested in just how much extra bud came from the plant with whorled philotaxy. This growth pattern was one of great interest to breeders 20 or 30 years ago, but you don't hear much said about it now (except by Ricky - he may be the one from Trailer Park Boys ... I'm not sure).

EDIT - just saw the mention of Shiva Shanti and Mexican Sativa. Nice. You should have some good control plants to see if the triple-leafers produce more.

EDIT II - Looking up responses to the fantasy-priced 'triplenode' seeds, left by members of other forums, quite a few people say that plants with whorled philotaxy will rarely produce more, yet will often be less potent, and that it's a disadvantageous mutation. As i suspected, it's not a trait that is easily passed on to offspring, and even individuals displaying the trait may grow out of it after a while in veg.

Still, I'd keep these plants, just to see what happens.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote positronic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 18:44
Wise words as usual Ganja, cheers for the info...   
"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope" FFF Bros
holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 19:07
well they look nice i only had one in my grows but it was a boy so keep em and hopefully you`ll get a good female. ps posty ? hows ur budding going under the clf ? am i wright in thinking you got one ?
Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote positronic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 19:52
Yeah hol, I`ve got 125w CFLs in red & blue spectrums... I got about 10gr dry from 2 Shivas under the red CFL:

I think maybe a ScrOG grow would be better as the bottom buds seem to be much smaller than the tops. Either that or maybe a hydro setup to allow more growth ?

All the best with ur new grow mate, looking good !!

edit - just checked out the ricky seeds site; he`s gotta be joking, right ? twenty grand for ten seeds ??

holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 23:46
thanks for update im going to run both 200w looking at yours ill try vegging them for longer as well with this good heat coming to the uk shud be ripe for budding come may god willing so 400w one red one blue should be interesting as im planing on moving lites about in room to get good coveridge still any weed grown at home gotta be better than street stuff
Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2007 at 11:00
Originally posted by positronic

edit - just checked out the ricky seeds site; he`s gotta be joking, right ? twenty grand for ten seeds ??

As far as I can tell, he's serious. I mean, he thinks he's serious.

Truly weird. And I can't imagine who would have the combination of
a) money to burn
and
b) absolutely no idea about cannabis or the value of cannabis.

Maybe some Russian mafia dudes up from Jersey?

If he has ever sold seeds  at that price (previous price of 10 seeds was $10K), he would be well advised to move to another city right after the sale. To quote someone from another forum, 'Triple the yield? No. But triple the beatings for Ricky if anyone ever buys his seeds at that price".

Not that I'm condoning violence (like it makes a difference), but some people are just asking for trouble.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Utterly Dutch View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Utterly Dutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 22:54
Ganja wrote [There's one guy trying to sell seeds of a strain that he says will always produce three nodes for CAD$20,000 (10 seeds). Yes, twenty thousand.] Yeah mate i see him nearly made me swallow me joint i was smoking LOL anyways ill take me luck with the 10 seed packs never no might get a PHENO or 2
mike View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 01:56
yeah all i've had thats started that away useuly switch back to regular growth ie 2 leaves instead of 3 right before they flower with this last grow i did i've had a total of 9 tri-leafed plants never any from sensi yet but 2 from nirvana from there big bud which theres in my opion should be called big joke i'll never do that again buy a knock-off strain 2 from one packet of mango very nice yeilding plants but i figured they would be more fruity then they were and the other 5 were from various local imports either mexican or columbian
help my plant's fell over and can't stand up
 Post Reply Post Reply