Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Plant Gender
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Male Flowers (early signs)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Male Flowers (early signs)
    Posted: 04 May 2007 at 10:50
It's been a while since we've had any male plants in the Museum garden, as we've been testing feminised seeds for many months, and flower clones most other times.

Right now, we're working with some Jack Herer seed plants, cloning for sex and selection.

As we're often asked how to spot male plants it seemed like a good opportunity to take some snaps of staminate flowers in their early stages.

The pics below are from plants that have been in the 12/12 flowering cycle for 10-20 days.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2007 at 10:57
Here's a feature than can be confusing when identifying plant gender for the first few times:

At the top of this image, the male flowers are clearly visible.
On the bract at the bottom of the image, there are some male preflowers just visible, and also what could be mistaken for white/orange pistils.

In fact the slightly twisted 'hairs' on the lower bract are the spurs that grow at the bracts of male and female plants in vegetation. They've just dried out on the lower, older bract. On the upper bracts, you can see the same structures but new and green.
Identifying dried spurs as pistils may lead to disappointment...

CU of dried spurs:

CU of healthy spurs:
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2007 at 11:08
Some more early male flowers:

shell View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote shell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2007 at 17:51
great pics ganja nice to know i didnt kill of any girls when i decked the boys lol cheers shell
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 18:35

I am cultivating america dream and the plants are 7 weeks old :  The majority of the plants are showing the preflowers so far.   With a good mignification lens is easy to distinguish the two white pistils @ V against the little balls.   This make me gain a lot of time as it is already the time to eliminate the males.   The past years I did not see this effect because, I think , I start one month later so on the same period the plants were smaller.  And I was obliged to wait up to August to distinguish the sex.

The question is:  Is it true that the plants could even after the preflowering  change sex ?  Farmer Mick explain something like this in a post.  I wouldn't kill actually males trasforming in female in the near future !!  Is that possible ??   
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2007 at 21:17

Pre-flowers are a good indication, but wait until the plants are  flowering properly before you go cutting any down.

Some female pre-flowers will not have pistils growing out of them. This might make you think they're male when they're really female.

On the flip-side, some plants that do grow pistils from the pre-flowers can turn out to be male, or hermaphrodite to be more accurate.

The photos Ganja posted show early male flowers, not pre-flowers. The plants in Ganja's pics have been flowering under 12/12 lights for around 2-3 weeks.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 18:49
mmm Farmer Mick  you are breaking my plans..  I was actually quite sure of the sex  stating that the tipical femal pistils are quite visible in at least side by side in a couple of internodes or even in three of them.   I was so sure that some clones have been already cutted down .  The supposed males have been not removed as yet as they do not disturb at all.  Now I am in a doubt again.  I realized that the ganja pictures do not show preflowers but are just the beginning of the flowering phase.   I am sorry I do not see how to post some pictures to show the true preflower.
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2007 at 22:34

The plants that have pistils are very, very likely to be female, but there's no guarantee they're not hermaphrodites.

I was convinced one of my Mango plants was female, but I realised last night that it's actually a hermie. The only way to be 100% certain is to wait until they're flowering properly. If you have a keen eye, you'll be able to tell for certain in the very early stages of flowering.

By the way, this is the first time I've ever had a hermie. Every other plant I've grown with female pre-flowers has turned out to be a normal female.
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2007 at 10:11

f.m. you are pointing out a detaile that concerned me yesterday.  In fact I have 1 plant with @ the lower internodes the little balls and the couples above with pistils.  You think I am in front to an hermy ?  For me as well this is should be the first time.  Then I do not know what to do with the hermy... Is it to eliminate ??   I am cultivating on soil under the sun. Therefore at present we are still talking of preflowers.

Back on topic, I decide that when i see a plant with 3 internodes either with the pistils or the balls it is definitive , while I will wait some more time to be 100% sure.    Remain the above doubt. 
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2007 at 11:02
I think you're pretty much safe assuming that the plants  with females preflowers will stay female.

There is a very slim chance they'll show as males when they fully flower. If they did so, I think it would more likely be a result of stress.

It's not so much that you should worry about the females turning male, more that you should not assume a plant is male and discard it on the basis of preflowers. Wait until it's really showing as a male before cutting it down (unless you already have too many true females).

There was an interesting occurrence among the Museum plants that I'd never seen before - a male that was capable of turning female. I think every other hermaphrodite/intersexual plant I've seen was a female that produced male flowers.

This was the first clone-for-sex cut from what turned out to be a father plant.
When that clone showed staminate flowers after two weeks in 12/12, the father plant was removed from the 18 hr cycle, as were a few other clones cut from the same plant.

The original clone sat in a window for a while, experiencing the natural light cycle. About 10-15 days later, it was noticed that the male had produced a couple of distinct pistillate flowers.

The other clones form the same plant and the father plant itself never made this switch, though they did not experience as many changing light cycles in such a short time.

I actually have two clones of that plant next to each other at the moment (still just sitting in the window). One is the 'reverse hermaphrodite', the other is a straight male.

More interesting, the hermaphrodite has pollinated itself, and is now a slender stalk about 20cm high with 20+ seeds ready to fall.

Most don't look viable, but I think I can get at least a couple to sprout. I'll be interested to see what they turn into. Probably an exact copy of the father plant, but you never know...

I have some pics, but I can't transfer them to the computer right now. It really is a strange looking little plant.

Also,another interesting feature is that many of this plant's calyxes are doubles - two seeds per pod. Something else I've never seen.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>