Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Alaskan thunderf**k

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
schlacked987 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote schlacked987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaskan thunderf**k
    Posted: 22 February 2005 at 16:17

I've got 2 Alaskan thunderf**k clones that are 3 weeks into flowering.  They're 8 weeks old total and stand about a foot tall. Just wondering if anyone else has grown any of this and could give me a guesstamite on how much longer I should flower them. I was planning on giving them another 7 weeks or so. any advice would be appreciated.

goutcho View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote goutcho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 14:50
i've gro.wn it 2 years ago and it was a very special strain.flowering time was 9 weeks for my 2 mothers,but you can let it more if you want,because this strain never stop to flower.i cut mine at 11 weeks whit more than 50 percent of white hairs and she was ready for a long time.the stonish weed i've ever had.you can't speak or move after a joint for 3 or 4 hours.good luck whit this strain
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote schlacked987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2005 at 16:06

thanks. I look forward to my catatonic state.

20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2005 at 07:45

From a well known user at another dope forum:

I live in Alaska and I can tell you 100% for sure that the original MTF strain is dead. Anything you have had that was supposed to be MTF was BS or a sh*tty cross breed.

From about 1982 to 1994 there was a gentleman in the valley that was the soul distributor of MTF. I know this because he was a good friend of mine. He never released any clones and never released pot with seeds in it. This was so he could have the monopoly for MTF in the state. His grow op was huge.

In early 1994 the police busted him and took all his nugs away. At the time he had just harvested his whole crop and had over 700lbs of dry Marijuana. This was the largest marijuana bust ever in Alaska and 4th largest in the US (With the exception of Border Busts). Needless to say he is still in jail.

The newspaper article printed in the Anchorage Daily News stated that the THC content of this marijuana was an astounding 27.4%. This was the highest THC content ever recorded by law officials anywhere in the world. I know this seems totally impossible, but if you don't believe me check with the Anchorage Daily News
http://www.adn.com and have them do an archive search for marijuana in early 1994 (Sorry I don't remember exact month). Their online archive only goes back to 1996 so it will require a phone call to them. Anyway what I'm trying to say here is if you really smoked MTF you would know it because you would be passed out on the floor, drooling like a rabid pit-bull, and wishing you had a bag of Doritos.

The moral of this whole story is that if you have a good strain share it with the world or else it could be lost forever. Personally I give clones to as many people as possible that way if I ever loose my crop they have a debt to repay with a replacement clone.

P.S. MTF was not a strain that could be grown outdoors in Alaska, you could start it outdoors, but you had to bring it inside after about 30 days of fall or the frost would kill them. The total budding cycle for the strain was around 55 days with outdoor light and about 65 with artificial light. The only plants you can grow entirely outdoors in Alaska and get a harvest from are the 30 day version of early girl. This strain of early girl is very hard to find and has very low THC content. In Alaska the time between 12/12 light and first frost is only about 25 days. If anybody has any questions just reply to this post.

Then after another user queried him saying that, "how come it exists elsewhere in clone and seed form?", he replied as follows:

This guy did mess around with cross breading a lot it is possible that some crossbreed seeds may have been distributed. If you check the THC content of any of the MTF strains floating around out there it is never higher than 20%. Not anywhere close to the 27.4% of the nugs confiscated in the bust. The original killer strain is dead, anything that is left is just a crossbread mutt of the original. The sheer quantity that this guy cranked out kept most of Alaska supplied with the legendary MTF. 700lbs is about 89,600 1/8ths, state population is @ 620,000, 700lbs is enough for 15% of the population to get an 1/8.  Like I said he would not distribute clones. Believe me I did ask. He had a lot of good friends and as far as I know he never gave out a single clone. If he did I would have given the strain to a couple of my close friends for disaster protection and done the same thing he did have my own little killer MTF monopoly.

Then another aged and well known user who lived in Alaska at the time the origianl was around posted this in the same thread:

Like (the above user said) and a couple others here, I spent most of my life in Alaska. I just moved to Texas, and why, who knows?...

The original Matanuska (not Mantanuska) IS an extinct weed. It made High Times magazine's most potent weed in the world, more than once, in fact several times. I have actually taken one good toke of thunderf**k when I was much younger, and have stood around dazed and confused for nearly six hours, and this is no sh*t.

There is a lot of good one hit sh*t out there now, but for those of you who never had the real deal (Matanuska thunderf**k), you missed out on one hell of a high. And for those of you that claim to have MTF, or have smoked it any time in the last 8 to 10 years or so, sorry, but you got duped...

... just something to add: The Matanuska Valley is located about 1/2 hr to 1 hr drive north of Anchorage (where I am from). It lies next to the Chugach mountains on one side, and a few miles from Cook Inlet, on the other. Between all the glacier silt, the extreme sunlight hours during the summer, the volcanic ash, and God, the Mat Valley has been notoriously dubbed the World's most fertile gardening soil, by many people which enjoy any type of planting and growing of any plants. We have a fair every year, held in Palmer (the Alaska State Fair) at the end of the grow season for farmers... This is no sh*t... 20lb zuchini squash, 120lb cabbage heads, several pound potatoes, carrots, radishes, etc. Anyhow, I guess where I was gowing with this, is that these conditions for growing were probably one of the number one contributors for the huge success of MTF in her day, and such high potency...

MTF, I will mis you...

So what I feel you may have had there goutcho is a derivative of Samaganthas' and BrosGrimm MatanuskaTundra and MTF.  Which are both good strains, but nothing like the original.

Here's what another aged grower had to say about MTF that may account for the one you grew:

This variety brings back that majestic legendary marijuana from the great Alaskan Northland. Highly recommended by the best fishing and hiking guides in the Matanuska Valley. The buds are huge and rock-hard as Denali "Mt. McKinley" herself. Intense aroma, chocolate flavor and potency have combined to form the most dense variety we have had the pleasure of producing thus far. A glacier of THC crystals frosts her colas and she packs more power than an ice pack polar bear. Medical patients have mentioned that she is very beneficial for persons with pain ailments. The "creeper" quality of the smoke comes on slow and smooth, like a hike up a majestic mountain peak. Enjoy the view, with a smile on your face and a gleam in your bloodshot eyes. Persons prone to altitude sickness should use caution. Type: Indica, indoor and outdoor Vegetate until: 4 - 7 internodes Flowering time: 60-70 days Average height: 0.5 - 0.75 meter Yield: 350 - 375 grams / m² (dried, indoor) High: powerfully sedative. Smell: rich chocolate flavor.

Grow-tips for Matanuska Tundra is a unique plant. It originates in the valleys in Alaska where it grows outdoor, and that probably influenced the following characteristics. Leaves The leaves of Matanuska Tundra are very distinctive. The first 3 or 4 sets of leaves can be variegated. This means that they will have white stripes through the leaves. They will grow out of this phase, it's nothing to worry about. Sometimes it will come back later, but also that is normal. The leaves are very big. Sometimes the inner part of the leaf seems too big, causing the leaf to be a bit bubbly. This is also natural characteristic of Matanuska Tundra. It resembles the symptoms of over-watering, but it looks a bit different. A photo of a leaf will be exhibited later. When are the buds ripe? Most marijuana plants show that they are ready for harvest by the hairs which have shriveled up and turned brown. Matanuska Tundra is different. Very few if any hairs will turn brown. Here are the signs that show that the plant is ripe: The female flower consists of a seed pod and two hairs. The seed pod will swell up during the flowering period. When the flower is ripe, the seed pod stops getting bigger. If the seed pods on the top bud are shrinking, the top bud is a bit overripe and the rest of the plant is perfectly ripe. The crystals on the seed pods are transparent during the first 4 to 6 weeks of flowering. When they ripen, they first turn milky-white. A week later they will turn amber. When the crystals on the top bud have turned amber, the top bud is a bit overripe and the rest of the plant is perfectly ripe. Look at the crystals on the top bud with a magnifying glass to observe the crystals turning from transparent to milky-white. Keep an eye on the seed pods to measure their size.

I can also tell you that there are CURRENTLY 3 completly different genepools being sold as clones-only in the USA that are all called MTF.

In the end, I do believe that far too much emphasis is placed on strains instead of where it should be placed - ie the 'means' by which it is grown. 

For example - if you smoke some of my Sensi WL Nev's Haze that I harvested a few montha ago, it too would do what your MTF does, as 3-4hours I can get off the 50/50 pheno of NevsHz - 4-5hours off the Sativa pheno.  If ever you'd like to try something that puts you into a catatonic state with a capital C, try growing ShivaxSkunk outdoors.  I say this and keep in mind that I have no vested intrests in saying so.  I say it as I know it.  I could also name you many other strains from other breeders that can do it as well - to me, it's neither 'here nor there'.

In Ozz in the late 70's they imported some 100%sativa Purple DurbanPoison from Africa that made everyone see things that weren't there when they first smoked it.  Many people had to be rushed to hospital and shot up with a high dose of pure Valium to calm them down.  Once you were use to visual and audible effects of that batch of Durban, it would completly aniolate even the most hardened of smokers for over 8hours...and I mean smokers that could bong 7-8grammes of the finest imported ThaiSticks per day without consequence, that were sold 'before and at the same time' this PurpleDPoison came into Ozz.  The PurpleDPoison had some seeds in it, and I grew it for 4 years straight.  The offspring for ONLY the first generation/year were purple and thereafter reverted back to the standard green.  But none of us could make it as potent as the original batch was that came in from Africa. Close - but no cigar, if you know what I mean.  The farmer in charge of that grow in Africa was a Cultivar-supreme at the true sense of the word as the dope was not laced with anything I assure you - it was straight from the BlackMans'Hand who harvested it out of an organic field of soil inside some jungle. One smoke, and you knew 'that' immediatly, as it tasted as smooth and as sweet as could be.  After some people were hospitalised(for a day) as a result of it, authorities here obtained samples of it and thoroughly tested it to find that it had nothing else but an extordinary amount of Cannabinoidal resins in it - higher than anything else they'd ever tested before.  No chemical additives whatsoever.  The Media here at the time nicknamed it 'Purple Poison'.

There have been over time in many countries differing imported buds like Thai, NamBlacks and ColumbianReds that would stone you for as long as the PurpleDPioson did.  Yet when seeds were taken from the samples that had them in them and were grown out the following year by home growers, they were never quite as strong as the original either.  Very strong, yes, but not as outrageously potent as the originals.  Why?  Perhaps the mass-scale farmers of those times were using secrets passed down from genereation to generation that they never divulged to anyone and have since died with them...who knows?  Your guess is as good as anyone elses.

Perhaps growing dope on a mass scale (guerilla type), works in the same way that cooking food in a massive oven on a mass scale does also - it aids to enhance itself from the mass aromas involved.  Possible, but once again, not definate.  What is definate though, is that there are much stonier smoking buds than those that do it for you for 3-4hours.  Go to a SpanishFlea market near Madrid at the end of their/your growing season, and you'll see what I mean.  Ask for KalamataRed Sativa buds, and enjoy a heavyDuty 6-8 hour experiance...but they'll be twice the price of the thai and columbian buds they sell.  In Spain, and many other places, after you've been around in the game a while, you'll find buds that will match the finest there is...and certainly much longer lasting than the MTF(?) you enjoyed.  But the finest, if you are the right person, will find you - you, will not find it.  It is an unwritten Lore of the cannabisKingdom.

Take care.

I look at the world as all do, but I see something different

Always do RIGHT; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote schlacked987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2005 at 15:54

So I appently was duped a little when I bought these clones. But I will say that I got a little impatient and cut a couple buds (about a dime's worth) off one of the plants a couple weeks ago and then smoked it yesterday with my girl. We were stoned for a bout 4 hours no lie from one hit apiece out of our bong. It was an intense high too. I was watching ladder 49 for the first time and after it was over we had to re-watch it because neither of us could remember what had happened for most of the movie. After watching it again it was actually a pretty good movie. Anyhow I harvested the rest of the bud last night and the switched my lights to an 18 on 6 off schedule. I left the bottom two sets of underdevloped buds and leaves on the plants in hopes that I can revert the plants to vegetative growth and then maybe clone them in a month or so. Has anyone tried this before? Will my clones suffer from the added stress of being put back into the veg. state? Or will my plants just die off now that they've been harvested one time? I really wnat to keep these plants to make clones and grow more, this is by far the best weed I have ever grown and I kind of want to keep it around regardless of what it is, like I said before it got me high as hell and it lasted for about four hours before I even thought about packing another one. Another little side note after smoking a second bowl I had to take a nap a couple hours later My brain just seemed "heavy" and need about an hour of shut eye before I felt "clear" headed again. This is not something I've ever experienced before and it wasn't totally undesirable. After my little cat nap I felt more refreshed than I did after a good 10 hours of sleep the night before. Anyhow thanks to everybody who responded to my questions. I appreciate all the help I've recieved even if some of the news wasn't something that I nessacarily wanted to hear.

-987

Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote schlacked987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2005 at 16:44

Sorry I forgot to put this in I'm now using 4 54 watt high intensity florescent bulbs that are rated as 5000 lumens apiece. I have the two thunderf**k plants, a secret stash plant and an ak-47. I also am growing a few odd house plants and catnip in the room. For added light running along the walls of the growroom I have 4 two foot gro-lux florescent lights. Is this enough light for all of my plants or should I add another 250 watt high pressure sodium light? I think that there is plenty of light as I grow under my staircase so the room is shaped in triangle about 4 feet wide 10 feet long but the plants only go back about 4-5 feet and can stand from 3ft to 8 ft tall depending on where they ar placed. It stay at a constant 77 degrees right now with all lights on and about 65 when they are off. thanks again for any input.

-987

20'Thai View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote 20'Thai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2005 at 13:50

Hi Schlacked,

You said - So I appently was duped a little when I bought these clones.

Keep in mind that only you said that mate.

Personally, I would not consider a strain that gets you high for 4hours as a dupe of a strain.  All that was in doubt was the authenticity of the MTF.  I would not be complaining about that kind of smoke by any stretch of the imagination.

As for revegging...here's what I have found over many years of trying it both indoors and out.

Some strains are better at doing that for you than others. But generally speaking to do it outdoors we need to have a long flowering season and a strain that is capable. Even then the 2nd harvest will be a mere shadow of the 1st as the plant cannot reveg to produce loads of new budsites.

Indoors it is possible to produce a yield bigger than the first with most any strain - but I hope you have heaps of time to spare.

After harvest cut away all branches above the 'base of the few tiny bottom shoots' that you leave on. Such that ONLY the inch/s long shoots that still have a few nodes on the and a few leaves remain and are the highest part of the plant remaining. So your plant then looks like a stump with a few shoots growing above it.

Then 18-22hours of light per day with one full dose of N fert(no more till stretching begins) - fluro light is best for this. After 2weeks the shoots shall begin(only begin)to revegging and proper stretching will commence a week or two after that. Then after another 2 weeks the shoots will be around another foot long at least. At this point we need to provide the plant with new fresh soil to grow new roots in that are needed for good flower production. Transplant into pot at least twice as big and veg another week. Then strike with good flower fert and enjoy you next harvest when ready.

But in all reality, it would better to have cloned those few good shoots and just started again. This is why 2nd harvests are not a prefered choice of growing more buds.

I would recommend you start from scratch indoors with clones or seeds and assure yourself of a full harvest with minimal effort and cost. Huge pots filled with lots of soil after repotting a revegged plant cost extra and so does the extra fert required to feed them. In the end you lose with revegging - but if you must, that's one way of doing it.

You then said:

My brain just seemed "heavy" and need about an hour of shut eye before I felt "clear" headed again. This is not something I've ever experienced before and it wasn't totally undesirable.

If that is what you're after, may I suggest a strain that I have grown years ago and nicknamed it the '3bong sleeping pill'.  Sensi's BlackDomina.  The reason I recommend it over other Sleeping/veryNarcoric strains is that unlike most that fall into that catagory, BDomina has a very high qulaity stone and Afterstone.  In fact the best afterstone I have ever had in a Heavily narcotic strain.  In 'afterstone' I refer to the way it leaves you feeling in the morning when you wake up - beautiful.  Not hung over and never depressed.  It's as though you did not smoke the night before at all.  I recommend it as a nightcap to anyone.

As for your last post, you said:

I think that there is plenty of light as I grow...

You answered it yourself me thinks.

Take care.

I look at the world as all do, but I see something different

Always do RIGHT; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
 Post Reply Post Reply