Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Afghan Kush Grow Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 20:01

Thanks Ganja. I'm alot less worried now you and Mick have chimed in.

I'm gonna trim the lower branches off, this wont stress them at all will it?

Green-Thumb Growing
Jonney View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Jonney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 20:10
i would have thought it would!?
"It is possible that a certain amount of brain damage is of therapeutic value."

Dr Paul Hoch
------------------------------
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 22:05
It will obviously cause some "stress", but as long as the plant is strong and healthy, you won't notice any difference. it's best to prune during the veg stage or in the first week of 12/12. After this stage, it could interrupt the flowering process and cause bud growth to slow down for a few days.
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2007 at 23:57
Well, seeing as i was in the room trimming a few lower leaves and such, i decided to go the whole hog, and try and get a few clones while i'm at it.

I've never taken clones before, and i didnt have any rooting hormone or stuff like superthrive, but i decided it was worth a shot, as i would only be throwing the stuff away otherwise.

So, i selected my best cuttings for clones, they were all kept in a cup of water. I then mixxed a bit of potting soil and perlite, and put it into small pots. Then poked a hole in it ready for the cutting.

I cut the lower leaves from the cuttings off, and made a fresh cut at the bottom, then sliced up through the middle a few cms, as per insturcted in the jroges cervantes book. I then just stuck them in the soil. Water the soil a little, and misted the cuttings.

I have 1 AK cutting from my favourite AK plant, one from the sativa pheno from the Breeders Collection, and two from the real nice smelling indica dom Breeders Collection. If only one clone roots, i hope its one of these two!.

So, as i dont have a humidity dome, and i dont want to keep my cuttings in the grow box, incase the knats move in, i have them in the bathroom, with the lights pointed at them, and will be misting them with water often.

Do you think there is any chance of them surviving? Or have my clumsy newbie skills destroyed any chance they had? 
Green-Thumb Growing
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 15:58
Originally posted by Solidopc

... then sliced up through the middle a few cms, as per insturcted in the jroges cervantes book. 

I have to admit, I've never heard of this technique before and it definitely isn't mentioned in my Jorge Cervantes book.

All I do is cut the branch tip at a 45 degree angle, remove lower growth, apply rooting powder, stick in soil. Works every time. I do not mist my cuttings and I do not touch them. All I do is water them when they need water and then leave them alone.

Personally, I only leave around 3-4cms of growth above the soil and around the same amount of stem below the surface.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 16:05
I tried splitting the stems the other day.

It's a pain in the ass to get split stalks to slide cleanly into the rooting medium (a pain with rockwool anyway, soil might be easier), so unless this method shaves three days off rooting time (which it almost certainly doesn't), I'd stick to making the traditional 45 degree cut with a very sharp blade or scissors.

Also, judging by clones I've examined after they rooted well then died for other reasons, the roots don't come from the cut, or the exposed cambium (as mentioned by Cervantes, which is the rationale for splitting the stems)

Roots grow easily from the unsliced length of the stem, and from (trimmed) internodes that are placed below the surface.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2007 at 21:19
Thanks guys.

Do you have a humudity dome for your clones Mick? I am misting mine because i was told that i needed 100% humidity, and without a dome the best way was to spray the leaves often. Is this correct?

I was also told that it was good to mist them, because they are no longer getting water from the roots, and can take it in through the leaves.

Anyway, do you think they have much chance seeing as i didnt use rooting hormone, and i did the slice thing?

Its funny, so many people disagree with so many things in the jorges cerveantes book. I wonder why i bought it sometimes. LoL.

I really hope they do survive. Espeicially the nice smelling breeders collection ones, as i wont be able to just buy them again like the AK.

If the smoke is real good, i might just keep the mum around permanently.
Green-Thumb Growing
crazyirish View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote crazyirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2007 at 12:06
its not that  jorges cerveantes method is wrong its just theres lots of methods for taking clones. you should keep the clones misted about 3 times a day and a humidity dome would be good, but if you havent got one just get a few empty pop bottles cut the top off the bottle and place it over the clone this will act as a humidity dome. or go to B+Q and get a small propagator for a couple of pound and use that.

just to tell you wat cloning method i use,  once uve taken the cutting place the stem in some water so you dont get any traped air in the stem. cut a 45 degree angle on the bottom of the stem, also if possible take a cutting from the plant that has 2 sets of nodes so you can remove a leaf and place that under the medium aswell. place cuttings in propagotar/humidity dome and within 2 weeks you should have roots

Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2007 at 15:58
Solidopc, I don't use a dome and I don't mist my clones. I don't even have a humidity meter in my growroom. Cloning is very, very easy. Personally, I find it easier than growing seeds. I have a 100% success rate so far with clones, but I have lost a few seedlings that just got sick and died when they were very young and weak. 

In my experience, cuttings will take up all the water they need via the stem. Rooting hormone is not necessary, but it should speed up the process. The leaves on the cuttings will sometimes wilt or droop downwards, but they should perk up again within two weeks as the roots start to grow.
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2007 at 23:10

Ahoy all! Well since its an Afghan Kush grow diary, here are some pictures of the AK at 11 days of 12/12.

They are all doing well, and eating well. 1ml of grow, 1.5ml of bloom and 1.5ml of top max per litre of water. Will likely go up to 2ml of bloom and top max next watering.

No signs of any trichs yet, but they are certainly the best looking plants in my grow room, and are coming on great.

The clones are also doing good. They look quite healthy, and ive made a make shift humudity dome out of a clear storage box. Hopefully they will all root for me, and i'll have three different mother plants.

These AK are said to finish in 47-55 days by the breeder, so i may only have 36 days to go!, but i doubt it.
Green-Thumb Growing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 22>