Cannabis Forum > Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum > Recipes
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

THC Extraction from "Cooking with Cannabis"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
noreply View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote noreply Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THC Extraction from "Cooking with Cannabis"
    Posted: 23 October 2007 at 13:27
Hi
In the following book "Stir Crazy: Cooking with Cannabis
" (I own the German version) there is an instruction how to prepare a THC concentrate from leafes and alcohol.
The instruction describes each step quite clearly, I am however confused about some parts at the end. So here the short summary with my questions:
We should use a bottle of spirit (750 ml), soak the leafes and seal the bowl, after 2-3 days we should distill and remove the foil by leaving the bowl open for one day, the alcohol should evaporate by then (Question: isn't the THC in the alcohol??). Anyhow, the desription says that approx. the half of the added spirit volume remains in the bowl. Next step should be
to strain resultant product mix through a shifter and to squeeze with a spoon the fluid rests out of the leafes into a dish. These steps should be repeated few times. Remember, we have still 50% of the spirit volume left.
But then they claim that at the end we should have only a 1/8l (125 ml) "extract" left, which can be further evaporated by low heat down to 60ml. So how come that I am left only with 125ml?
If I strain the remaining product incl. spirit leftover there should be much more left then described. But if is strain only the soaked leafes without the remainder fluid, then I might got the 1/8l of the extract mentioned. I assume that this is what the instruction meant e.g. to strain only the soaked leafes and spill the remainder of the spirit.
Could you pls. comment if my theory is correct - or not.
Cheers, and thanks!

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 15:24
Not sure I can be of much help here, but keep the following in mind:

1) THC and other cannabinoids are a solid or a liquid (until heated, anyway), so while THC dissolves in alcohol, it cannot evaporate with the alcohol at room temperature (or at a low heat).

This is the basis of the process you're attempting - alcohol takes the cannabinoids from the plant material; the alcohol then evaporates, leaving just the cannabinoids.

2) The reducing volume of spirit sounds correct, as pure or nearly pure alcohol will evaporate at room temperature, until there is nothing left.
In this case, the evaporated alcohol should leave behind the extracted cannabinoids (and other alcohol soluble substances like chlorophyll).

3) BE CAREFUL! The flammable solvents are not the only risk factor. Be sure you have removed ALL solvent from the final product before trying to smoke it. And try a very small amount, at first.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 16:30
I think when it says 'bottle of spirit' it means vodka or something like that, not methylated spirits. That way, when the alcohol evaporates, you will have around half of the 750ml left.

The THC should be in the fluid at this stage (I think), because the alcohol should (theoretically) remove the resin from the leaves. At this point, the instructions you provided are indeed very confusing. I don't know how you can have only 125ml left until after you have reduced the mixture on a low heat.
noreply View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote noreply Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2007 at 19:24
Thanks guys for now.
Yes, the instruction it says vodka or schnapps, correct. And that is exactly what is confusing me too, as then it is mentioned that you should have after the evaporating still half of the fluid in the dish (which sounds only logical), but then after the straining of the leafes suddenly only 125 ml left, and this before any heating...
So I was wondering if the German version is eventually incorrect. Now t
he leafes are for the 2nd day in the soak already, and I am not quite sure how to go on in the next couple of days. 
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2007 at 03:27
this is my method:  you must use nor vodka o similar liquors.  keep that bottles for better use .  use alcohol 98 degrees usually sold to make liquors or cakes.   the secret, after a couples of days is to press strongly the leaves in order to get all the liquid out. then wait and forget the bowl.  do not heat or follow quick methods.  but use only a fan if you like.  at the end of the process that takes 2-3 weeks you will get an omogeneous black material.  add now some few of the leaves left reduced in powder- up to obtain an hard ball and enjoy an excellent smoke.     
 Post Reply Post Reply