Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Systems - Setups, Equipment, Mediums
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Finding Lighting Complicated

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shane View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding Lighting Complicated
    Posted: 04 December 2007 at 12:47
Maybe it's just me,
 but the more I look into Lighting for an indoor grow the more confused I get

I googled the threads (your grow room info Farmer Mick is invaluable) and thought for my 1m squared closet I would go for 2 (red,blue) cfl as it wouldn't contribute to heat and having just found a grow shop near me went in for a chat.
The guy was totally helpful and talked me out of cfl and into sodium so I mentioned the 250 sodium's I'd read about here and he said " no they are not really worth using, we start at 400w and 600w as they are more energy/light efficient".

I have no reason to disbelieve him but worried then that this would turn my closet into an oven ( he may have suggested a cooling system for the light but by now I was getting overloaded with info!)
 so I come back on sensi to read up some more and find a thread that says no, u need mh for vegging and sodium for flower??? I thought I had read that mh was sodium???
confused and wishing it was spring so I could get on with "proper" gro9wing in the greenhouse!
get that sun on it :-)
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2007 at 13:45
MH is metal halide. Gives out bright blue-white light.

HPS is high pressure sodium. Gives red-orange light for flowering.

Both types are HID lamps - high intensity discharge. These lamps give the most lumens for power consumption.

I thought 250w were not very efficient (having only read the stats, rather than use one), but farmer mick has demonstrated, flowering with a 250w HPS can be very rewarding.

A 400w shouldn't heat up a small space too much, but you will need an extractor fan.
You'll need one for healthy plants anyway.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
shane View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 17:48
ah Ganja, see I am confused!
I meant LED lamps not CFL
I have seen some 168 led bulbs (mixed red/blue) on ebay going for about 25quid which would make my setup alot easier if I could use a couple of these?
just worried led is not up to the job compared to HID and I will be wasting my time and money on them.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 19:03
I don't think LED bulbs are efficient enough to grow cannabis.

They may give out enough light to keep plants alive, but I sincerely doubt they'll allow a plant to flower properly.

For low cost, low heat, low power consumption lights that give out enough lumens to grow cannabis, fluorescent is your best best. CFLs are good, and even 120cm household tubes are okay, if you have a few of them.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
blackmore View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote blackmore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2007 at 19:48
you know, ive seen some LED growing journals.
some of these guys actually grew a nice looking plant.
google it.

i think youre better off with CFLs though.
LEDs might be cool, but new and expensive.
CFL/HIDs are proven to work, so its the way to go, especially if its your first grow.

hope u get a good grow going.
shane View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 12:28
thanks guys, I have researched the web and I have 2 agree, but I think soon led's might be really useful,
sii'm back to cfl's and hids!
cfls' cooler and cheaper to run
hids better light but u have to replace them every grow, very expensive plus I'll have to spend out on exhaust fans etc
I was naivley thinking I could get away with led's and an oscillating fan!
think  I'll have to save up a bit more lol
Jonney View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Jonney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2007 at 22:44
i just use the one HPS bulb.. or to be more specific the son-t-agro by phillips. i was told it gives off enough of the blue spectrum to support veg and of course enough red for flowering.

my first grow was successful so i decided to stick with it. that with an exhaust fan (no heat troubles at all) is all i needed.
"It is possible that a certain amount of brain damage is of therapeutic value."

Dr Paul Hoch
------------------------------
shane View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2007 at 11:04
thanks for sharing your experience Jonney (i'm liking ur avatar)
what size is ur bulb? 250?
 Post Reply Post Reply