Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Plant Gender
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

sexing male vs female

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
impact View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote impact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sexing male vs female
    Posted: 06 April 2005 at 07:05

im a first time grower and i have all the right lights and stuff and my plants are looking pretty good i got this pic on the web on how to tell the male seemed to have darker leaves and and little heavyer looking and the female loofs lighter and thiner leaves and any one help me on this i know about the balls droping with the big flower pod things or what ever but the pistols kinda look the same ans the nuts in this pic i wanna get the males out very ealry

doctor dolittle View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote doctor dolittle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 18:36
I wouldn't go on colour or size of leaves to sex them, the pistol/male flower pods are the only way..
I used to think that the taller plants would be males, but was very often, very wrong, so now I only go on what is visibly male or female, ie pistols/male flower pods. It's so much easier with clones as you know already..
don't pannick though, the males should appear first, and you should get them all out before the females start fully flowering. They should be showing after the end of the first week in 12/12, and you shoul definately know by the end of the second week.
Feline View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Feline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 14:36

True indeed.

Before flowering, there are some indications whether a plant will be male or female, but you'll never be able to make more than an educated guess.

I'd never throw away a plant just because I suspected it was going to be male. I'd only cut it down when I actually saw the pods that will open into staminate (male) flowers.

Even at the earliest of early stages (7 to 10 days after inducing flowering), it's possible to tell male flowers from female ones.

And, as Dr D. points out, the males almost always show themselves before the females.

The first sign of gender is a tiny growth at the internodes and the top of the plant. Both genders' earliest growth could be described as a 'pod', but the male flower is oval-shaped, while the female calyx is teardrop-shaped.

The most important feature to distinguish the very early male flowers from the female is the pair of tiny white or transparent hairs - the pistils - growing from the top of the teardrop-shaped female calyx.

Don't confuse these with the green 'spurs' that grow on each side of the internode. These are much bigger than the young calyxes and are green, not white. Both male and female plants have spurs.

If you can clearly see a pod-shaped growth on a plant, and it does not have two white/clear hairs growing from the top, then that plant is definitely male.

If you have ten plants, and four of them show male flowers in the first ten days of flowering, while the rest show nothing, there's a good chance that these other six are female.

Edited by Ganja
impact View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote impact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 01:02
oh ok this answers my other post i made as well i was wondering how long till they show there gender they have been in 12 on 12 off cycle for 12 days but i still cannot really see any thing i have 2 plants if i post pics is there a way you guys could try to tell me maybe LOL i got a good zoom lense
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 17:13

If your digital camera doesn't have a macro lens, you might be able to get good close-ups just by using a magnifying glass and taking pictures of the magnified image.

Feel free to post your pictures here for identification.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply