Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Harvest and Beyond
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum-sealed Dope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
anyhandle View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote anyhandle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vacuum-sealed Dope
    Posted: 08 April 2005 at 18:17
Anybody know how long you can vacumn seal dope for if you can do it at all?
Always have one foot dancing
doctor dolittle View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote doctor dolittle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2005 at 18:10
I tried a vacuum sealer..These are the problems I found with my one..
1.It crushes all the bud together
2.It didn't hold the vacuum very long as there's always a little bit of stem that goes through.
3. Even though the bud wash bone dry when put in, it came out slightly damp.
4. It didn't get rid of the smell.
5. All that bud scrunched up doesn't look very nice

I wouldn't vacuum seal at all..air tight "tuppperware' would be better

For the last few years I've been using brown paper sanitary towel disposable bags,..1 bag holds 1oz (of bud)..i then tape them closed and put them in a freezer
I have had none of the trouble from the vacuum bag method....maybe a few odd looks at the bag logo, but on the whole much, much better
Feline View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Feline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 15:26

You can get much thicker vacuum-seal bags, that bits of stem are less likely to puncture.

Many people who use vacuum-sealers will triple-bag weed - seal a bag inside a bag inside a bag. This is to overcome the chance of rogue odours leaking form the package.

It should be noted that vacuum sealing is not a great solution for storing weed long-term. I think most people who vacuum seal weed do so in order to smuggle it, rather than store it.

As DrD. points out, the vacuum process does compact the weed into a very tight package - so if it's a fine, delicate sativa, it may well be crushed. Vacuum sealing usually spoils the look of weed.

I'd usually disagree with any method that involves storing buds in a paper bag. I'm guessing that the sanitary-towel bags have a plastic lining?

This would be much better than standard paper bags, which are notorious for turning nicely dried buds into super-dry dust in a matter of days or hours.

The freezer is the best place for long term weed-storage.

I usually use a preserve jar (with a rubber seal and a wire locking mechanism) with dried buds loosely packed inside. Depending on how much weed you're storing, these might be a little harder to fit in the freezer (jars hold 30-100g, depending on the size), but they protect the buds from being crushed by other contents of the freezer. Also, resin separates from the buds much more easily at low temperatures, so it's best to store buds in a container than stops them getting knocked around.

anyhandle View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote anyhandle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2005 at 18:32
Feline are you stalking me or answering any and all post left unattended, in any event, all advice that is good advice is appreciated. My problem is this, im seriously considering doing a prolonged grow out at home which renders several difficulties, i want to store several pounds off property (in a drum in the ground) that will hold out for a few months ( at least till all cultivation is complete) to avoid all unnecessary civivl law matters, im trying to figure out the best way to do this, I figure a vac seal is probably my best option. i dont give a flying f**k how it looks, as long as it passes the bar at 2000 an  elbow. is vac seal my best option?
Always have one foot dancing
doctor dolittle View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote doctor dolittle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 12:59

Originally posted by Feline

I'd usually disagree with any method that involves storing buds in a paper bag. I'm guessing that the sanitary-towel bags have a plastic lining?

This would be much better than standard paper bags, which are notorious for turning nicely dried buds into super-dry dust in a matter of days or hours.

The freezer is the best place for long term weed-storage.

no they are just brown paper....I found the wax/plastic lined ones created a bit of moisture....I don't get super dry dust buds either, and was rather suprised that it happens....I have few dedicated drawers in the freezer to stop the odd pizza or bag of chicken legs destroying anything.
I've tried glass jars, but found brown paper suits my needs or conditions better.
back to the question,
I would use triple vacuum bags and then put it into airtight containers just to be safe.

Edited by Ganja
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 13:22

The problem with storing weed in any kind of paper bag is the leaching of moisture from already dried buds.

Paper is an excellent 'conductor' of water - the more porous it is, the better it absorbs water. Buds in contact with paper will usually lose all their remaining water to the paper. After all, plant cells are designed to accomplish this function - transferring water from one cell to the next via capillary action. This process still works after the plant tissue is dead.

You may get better results with paper bags in the freezer because the atmosphere contains lots of moisture, so any water leached from the buds doesn't go on the evaporate from the outside of the paper bags.

Duh! Now that I think of it, the far more obvious reason is that, within an hour or two of being placed in the freezer, any moisture remaining in the buds is FROZEN (obviously), so it's not going to be absorbed by paper.

Based on this, I reckon that this (or any) type of paper bag would still dessicate buds if they were used to store weed at room temperature.

Other people and sources strongly recommend against storing in plastic, as static electricity has a tendency to pull resin from buds...

I'd go with glass jars, space allowing.

Edited by Ganja
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2005 at 13:33

Originally posted by anyhandle

i want to store several pounds off property (in a drum in the ground) that will hold out for a few months

Sorry, with the glass jars I'm talking about general household weed storage. For your underground drum idea, you're right that vacuum-sealing is proabably the best solution.

Get bags as thick as possible, and seal each package inside 3 to 5 bags.

I'd also think about putting each package (or pair, depending on the size) into an esky, to protect against big temperature shifts.

You definitely don't want to use paper or (standard) plastic if you're burying underground in any part of Australia. Go for suspended-animation type storage!

Edited by Ganja
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
greenfinger420 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote greenfinger420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 12:16

Storing Weed.

Hello there,

I vacuum my grass for traveling thru Europe, nicely smel free. But i uses a profesional vacuum machine they use in kitchens and stuff it can go down to 30 bar- in this case the grass becomes rock hard and if you leave it like this for some dayz/weeks it will stay rock hard after unpacking. Normaly i would vacuum till 10 bar- and your grass will come back alive a bit after opening.

The vacuum machine is also great for slow drying/curing your weed, by seeling it when it is not totlaly dry jet, leaving it a day or to and opening it again, to let it air. also pieces of fruit can be vacuumed with for axtra flavour. but watch out for fungi

Long term storage, sure u can use the vacuum machine, use 2 or 3 bags over eachother, use thick profesional seeler bags. if your vacuum machine can do it start the first bag low vacuum, 2nd bag medium vacuum and the last bag maximum vacuum.

And yes if you burry sh*t make shure animals cannot get to it so metal or glass jars are the best to prevent your stash from being eaten

later

KEEP IT GROWING
 Post Reply Post Reply