Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Lighting
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

LED panels vs traditional lamps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED panels vs traditional lamps
    Posted: 19 January 2008 at 02:48
I am talking of a surface of blue and red high powerful leds that seems indicate for bot vegetative and flowering phase.    I see all around a lot of rumors among the growers regarding the LED panels or led lamps . they seems to reach the same results but with a big advantage of a consumption 10 times less than before, no problem with burning leaves, easy to handle etc, so it seems they give a big advantage.  Anyone who have experience with such a technology ??
Sticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Sticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 17:36
Hi connery, Long time dood

can you make your self clearer, Would like to think i can help.

Sticky One.
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 17:46
Hi Sticky, nice to see you some time,  the led panels seemed the gold idea to replace the lamps, but I remember a discussion about a couple of years ago, (not on this forum) where the comparison indicate a much higher harvest using the lamps.  But I am talking of a long time ago and the technolgy has maybe improved in the meantime.  Certain is that the led panels,  once working properly, are a top idea.  I am actually working indoor  with the envirolite.  But my heart remain in the greenhouse.
If you know more about just let me know Sticky  

Edited by connery - 10 June 2008 at 17:49
Sticky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Sticky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 17:53
hi Man .

Wheres uri when you need him.

Sticky.
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 20:27
Hi, I think you mean me. :-)

I do not care much for the technics as long as it gets the bill paid but rather for the plants' needs in terms of spectrum, intensity and direction. LEDs are great for japanese pokemon cultivation efforts, small boxes which can be carried in the school bag. In primary school we planted sunflowers.

Long ago we had a discussion about the best light spectrum. I think that plants use green light for energy while blue light is used for intelligence and red light for stimulation.

Plants are mysterious beings. I sometimes think about 20'Thai's Tesla "lights". How they fetch nutrient ions from the soil, using the roots as antennas! It must be a closed circuit with current running through.

Some animal ate a strong hip-high plant, leaving only the first node. The surrounding sea of stinging nettles was virginal as if the hemp-eating being had been dropped by a helicopter and been picked up again after its feast. Deer can be graceful. They often leave one node hence do not outright kill the plant.

LEDs are the lights of space travel. But a colony on the moon does not depend on it: In a greenhouse plants could grow for a forthnight. In the following dark forthnight the temperature was lowered so much that plant metabolism came to a halt. (Auxiliary lighting with an intensity 1/20 of sunlight may be used but is not mandatory.) When the sun comes back growth resumes.

Uli
connery View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote connery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 10:53
Grasso I feel you smoke a great weed !
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 20:14
wow what you smoking grasso lol so%20high

connery mate im sure shane experimented with led's a few months back, with not much success IIRC smoking

BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 11:55
Surely green plants reflect green light? That's why they appear green to our eyes and why you can use a green light in the dark phase without interrupting flowering.

Uli, are you referring to a different measure of 'green', such as colour temperature?

LEDs show some promise, but the idea that they can give comparable growth with 10% of the power consumption is a bit fantastical IMHO.

I'd imagine that 125w of LED lighting would give about the same growth as a 125w envirolight.

I remember when envirolights/giants CFs became popular, it was claimed that they were better than HPS, gave more usable light, that two or three 200w CFs would give more light than a 600w HPS, etc.

As it turned out, envirolights are good lamps, very useful and with a wide range of applications. But better than HPS (or HID) in terms of power vs light vs time vs yield & potency? I think that's a bit of a stretch.

The industrial greenhouses that grow legal crops with artificial light are a fairly good measure of the efficacy of new lamps. They use HID lamps almost without exception. The ballasts last a long time, but the bulbs must be replaced at least once a year, maybe twice.
HID bulbs are similar in cost to envirolights, so the price of refitting a large greenhouse would be quite high, but not prohibitive.

These guys are industrial farmers all the way, and part of their business is getting the maximum yield and quality from their greenhouses at the minimum cost. If there was a light that gave the same growth and saved 10% in power costs, this would be a huge competitive advantage and would be adopted very quickly (let alone a 50% saving or a 90% saving).

AFAIK, the legal greenhouse growers didn't switch to envirolights, and I haven't heard of any using LED yet.

As Grasso says, I can see LEDs being of more use in micro-grow-rooms.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 22:10
A plant leaf reflects or lets through most but not all green light. A forest absorbs most sunlight including the green. It looks green because of spectral ratios but the eye is logarithmic. Light flows. Green is in the middle of the spectrum of light which reaches earth hence plants use it. There are few things I know for sure but this is one of them.
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2008 at 18:19
All I know is that the panels of LED's are now replaced with a circular LED light configeration known as the LED UFO light. Apparently equilivilent to a 400watt HPS, well so they say. Gives an array of light that covers a metre sqaured, and can be used for all stages of plant growth ( including flower ). Worth a google search.

One Love
I soar like a bird in the wind , though I glide as I'm flying through Heaven.
 Post Reply Post Reply