Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Bubbler Cloner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Bubbler Cloner
    Posted: 21 January 2008 at 00:52
Here's a little guide for a do it yourself bubbler, i picked up at another site. Cheap and easy to build, you cant go wrong really.

I cant post in the cloning section, so i'll put it here, allthough even a few outdoor growers might like to use one.

All you need,

1- Aquarium pump
2- Aquarium heater (optional if indoor in warm enviroment)
3- Sandwich box ( mine is 3 litres)
4- 2 Air stones
5- Some air line
6- Some neoprene plugs ( i use the gerdening kneeling mats you can buy from any garden store. They are made of the right material, and you can cut to the shape required. Its pictured in the last pictrue)

Apart from that, all you need is a stanley knife, or if you have one, a drill with a hole cutting attachment, to make the holes in the tubs lid.

You can see my tub filled with water, with the air stones in it, and the pump turned on. This is creating lots of oxygen for the roots of the cuttings, and is the only reason they wont drown in the water.

The only bit of diy you need to do, is the cutting of the holes in the lid, which doesnt have to be perfect, as mine certainly isnt. Especially if you are using a kneeling mat, and you can cut a piece to size for your holes.

I have put 8 in my lid. I could of got 12 if i had wanted, but i can allways make another one, as they are so cheap, and i wont often have too many cuttings on the go.

When you cut your neoprene plugs out of the mat, make a cut from the outside into the centre, on only one side. Then get a small screwdriver, or a nail, and push it through the middle of the plug, where the end of your cut starts. You just need to hollow out a little bit through the centre,so the plug doesnt squeeze the stem too tightly.

You can then use this access point to add and remove your cuttings from the plugs, without pulling the roots about. 

I'm not sure if you can see my slits in the picture of the lid, but they are there. (I havnt hollowed out a bit in the middle yet in the picture). If you buy neoprene plugs from a gardening centre, they should allready have the slit made, but if not, you need to make your own.

Once you have cut the holes in the tub lid, and cut out your plugs, and made the slit. Your bubbler is ready to go, its as simple as that.

You should set your heater to 22 celcius. This is optional if you are indoors in a warm enviroment, or indeed outdoors in a warm enviroment. I am not using mine indoors, and things are fine. Warm temps do promote faster root growth, but they can also encourage bacteria and other nasties to thrive. Especially if using organic nutrients.

PH your water to 5.5-6.0. 5.8 is optimul, if you have a digital reader. I just have a liquid test kit, so can just get it between 5.5 and 6.0. Which is absolutly fine.

You can also add some rooting hormone to the water, i will be adding a tiny bit of canna trichoderma and root excelurator. And perhaps some alg a mic once they have shown some roots.

You should have the cuttings with the stem slightly submerged, about1-3 cm or so in the bubbling water, and you can leave alone then, and i'm promised i will have more clones than i know what to do with.

The same principal could be applied to grow just one or two large plants in a bubbler like this. Just make one or two larger holes, big enough to fit a net pot or two, you can buy from the pond section of a garden centre. Fill with clay balls or something, and away you go into a world of hydro.

I might give a one plant bubbler a go, at some point, but i want to get to grips with this bubbler first. My first clones for it wont be too long away, i'll let you know how i get on.

Green-Thumb Growing
positronic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote positronic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2008 at 10:25
Looking good mate, DWC/Bubbler systems are soooooo good !!!

I`ve not tried using a heater yet but it should be good in this system for clones as humidity will be increased...

Nice work !!
"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope" FFF Bros
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2008 at 03:59
This bubbler works like a dream. Just look at the difference of my cuttings. They look better now than they did when they were on the dam plant! They were all droopy when i put them in, and less than 24 hours later, they are all perked up and looking immaculate.

I only added 1/2ml of house and garden root excelurator to 2 litres of water. Seems they like it alot.

I think i will use this alot from now on. I should be getting much faster rooting. I'll let you know how they get on. Today is day 1.

Green-Thumb Growing
shane View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote shane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 00:10
bugger me, that's interesting

your gonna run out of space to grow Solidopc if u keep making all these successful clones lol

well done
get that sun on it :-)
Jonney View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Jonney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 01:03
you'll have to excuse the ignorance but

WTF???weed%20leaf
"It is possible that a certain amount of brain damage is of therapeutic value."

Dr Paul Hoch
------------------------------
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2008 at 01:24
Which part is it you dont understand? If you understand a bit about hydroponics, this is just a mini DWC, for cuttings, instead of one or two plants.

The stems are submerged in water, with the air pumps pumping oxygen into the water, to keep the cutting from drowning. Its a faster way to clone than with soil/rockwool.

Some people seem to get cuttings to root in plugs in 4-14 days. I'm yet to get a cutting to root in under 21 days. So i've made this bubbler to speed up the process.
Green-Thumb Growing
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2008 at 17:58
How are they going now? I

Incidentally, I think I can just see from your pics that the bottom of the lunch-box has been made opaque with tape? Is this correct?
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 11:50
There's a similar guide in vol.4 issue 2 of Skunk magazine, for makling a bubbler closer out of a 5-10lt opaque container.

The main difference is that each clone is held in place with a collar of vinyl tubing - 12mm diameter, cut into 5cm lengths, then sliced down the side and curled into the holes in the top of the container (which are a little smaller), making an overlapping tube/cone which holds the stems.

I'd always thought about using a soft material, like the kneeling mats used in your version, but now I'm wondering if these hard collars might not work as well.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 18:35
Here is a pic of some uk cheese roots in the bubbler. I stuck the heater in there, and set it at 24celcius, and the roots are flying out. They are allmost all rooted in some form or another, a few alot more than others.

The leafs of the cuttings are still green and look healthy, and all they have had in the bubbler water is root excelurator, which is a very low npk.

I'm toying with the idea of putting the two more advanced cuttings you can see, into a 10litre bubbler to share between them, and see if i can actually get them into flower.

I'm a little unsure how well my organic nutes will do in a hydro set up though. Anyone else ever used bio bizz in hydro?

Also, are the roots supposed to be a browny colour? The liquid of the bubbler with root excelurator and trichoderma makes the water brown. Is this the reason? They start off white when they are very small, then go a brown colour as they get bigger.

This doesnt appear to be doing them any harm. They are growing, and looking great. I've just never seen water roots before.

Green-Thumb Growing
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2008 at 22:00
looking good solid, im quite sure the roots will go whatever colour the water is purely because they are sitting in it constantly, but once in soil they should grow white again, going on what ive seen with my mates hydro setup Cool

BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>