Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Afghani #1 Grow Diary

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Afghani #1 Grow Diary
    Posted: 11 February 2008 at 22:00

Going to try and do a full grow diary for my second grow, in the hope that it may be useful for other novices like myself...

Here's the basics, setup for vegetating:
wardrobe approx 2.5ft x 3.5ft x 6ft
4 x 125w blue CFL lamps
carbon filter and extractor
2 x clip on desk fans

When I move to flowering I'll be switching to red CFL's, unless I can magically find enough money to get an hps in the meantime!

My basic idea is to attempt to germinate ten seeds, and allowing for some to fail, some to turn out male etc, I aim to finish with four plants, grown to 80-90cm. If I end up with a full ten plants germinated and surviving past seedling stage then I might flower earlier and keep a higher number of smaller plants.

So, day number 1 was saturday - put the Afghani #1 seeds in to germinate. I'm using the tried and tested wet paper towel between two plates method. To keep the temperature nice for the seeds the plates are kept in a drawer above the amplifier for my stereo (this vents our of its top, just enough to nicely warm the air in the drawer).

Today is day 3, really pleased to say 8 seeds have germinated and been planted into some small square pots. The pots are in the grow room, as far away as possible from the lights, with just two of the cfl's running, not the full four yet.

Will you keep y'all posted, no pictures yet as there's nothing to see....
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 22:33
Good stuff, cant wait to see how these turn out.

Jonney was doing a diary, but the slacker gave up on his diary, and we dont even know how his affie and AD turned out. You there Jonney? How was the smoke of those?

Affie is a classic, you'll not be dissapointed. I also have some affie#1 seeds, which i'll likely grow a few of soon. But i must get my jack flash and blueberry done first.
Green-Thumb Growing
cashcrop View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote cashcrop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 03:01
nice work germinating those seeds nemo and good luck with the grow
Thumbs%20Up
To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 20:05
Thanks guys... all encouragement and comment appreciated loving%20it

Day 4 - Last two seeds germinated by the time I got home from work... All are potted now but no sign of anything above the soil yet...

Don't want to tempt fate but am already doing better than last time - only got 7 to germinate last time.
Jonney View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Jonney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 22:38
Right i just had a massive reply written, been at it for 45 minutes. Was summing up my experiences  when the nob sat next to me knocked the mouse on the ground and clicked back, as a result i just lost my reply.

I@M frustrated to say the least. i really can't be arsed writting it again so here is is in a nut shell!!

Afghani: I had problems for the best part of her grow. As a result she was stunted and didn't fill out as much as i'd liked.

the smell is very potent, piney with slight bathroom cleaner smell. Not what i expected a full indica to smell like.

taste was like a lesser version of the smell, good but not great!

Effects were also unexpected.. very strong head buzz, i found myself very paranoid for the first hour or so. Edgy and restless. I didn't expect a full indica to be like this, i'd have a go at growing it again but if the results were the same i wouldn't be inclined to grow it again.

American dream.

Smells sweet and tropical with a slight skunk smell lingering. Freshly ground it's like a juicy lilt smell, it makes my mouth water every time. I can never wait to get this into a joint!! She tastes just as amazing, like a softer sour n sage taste, veg sage and a fresh garden always come to mind, sweet and not too acrid she is easily the tastiest and most satisfying smoke i've grown. The effects are again just as satisfying, slightly dreamy and euphoric, the sativa however sharpens the lazy vibe off it so you aren't stuck to the couch!! It's a fantastic stone.

overall you get what you pay for, it was easy to see why the AD is the more expensive seed... and i'm glad i've 5 more beans to grow cause she's definitely a keeper!!

And good luck with your grow nemo, i hope you make a better job of it than i didhigh
"It is possible that a certain amount of brain damage is of therapeutic value."

Dr Paul Hoch
------------------------------
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 21:32
Hey Jonney - sorry your Afghanis didn't turn out how you wanted (and seriously sorry about the nob next to you, its damn annoying when that happens) - you're right that's not what you'd expect from a real indica, will be interested to see if mine turn out the same...

A few boring details I forgot about the potting - am using biobizz light mix at this stage (used all mix last time but I thought I'd try the light - must say it doesn't feel as good as the all mix - the differnet material that has gone into it is more in big clumps and less well rotted and mixed the allmix was, don't know if that'll make any difference to the plants though!). I'm not going anywhere near any nutrients or additives yet. Once germinated potting process was to spoon the soil into the pot, give it a good shake and rattle to compress the soil just a little, then water before putting the germinated seeds in about 0.5-1cm below the surface.

Small update for today (overall day 5): I have one TINY baby - the first seed to germinate has just broken the surface of the soil now:
Not much to shout about but damn its good to be growing again, I've felt a bit lost for the last couple of weeks...

Also, last weekend made some hash (well, pollen or whatever you'd call it, I haven't compressed it yet and probably won;t as there isn;t really enough) from the wasteage of my shiva shanti crop - smoking nicely now its dry, and it smells delicious even better than the plants. Makes a nice change I've hardly smoked anything but bud for ages as the hash around here is all nasty nasty soap bar rubbish.

I used the ice cubes and blender method as described in several places including here: http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2312.html
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 00:00
Man, you need to get them out of that light mix. I only a month or so ago, did the exact same thing as you, and decided to try the light mix.

I bought 50 dam litres of the stuff. I was warned against buying it aswell, but thought, it surely cant be that bad, or why would they sell it?

Well, just as i was warned, at about the 10-14 day mark, my seedlings started yellowing, and showing a nitro defciency, and others most likely.

There is so little nutes or any goodness in that dam shite, that you need to start feeding your plants, when they are only small seedlings.

I had never had to do this before, when using cheap, garden centre potting soil. That would last me for a good 4 weeks, without need for feed.

For some reason, they have made this mix so light on ferts, you have to feed your plants after only a week or two.

I dont want to be giving my seedlings ferts with their water at that early stage. So i immediatly, repotted them into the allmix. Which is cracking stuff, unlike the light mix.

Just keep an eye on them come the 10-14 mark, and if you see yellowing, slow growth, and unhealthy looking leaves, which i'm sure you will with the light mix, its up to you, whether you want to repot into allmix, or start feeding yourseedlings.

I've still got my 50litres, barely touched, and i dont know what to do with it. I'd happliyl give it away, its useless to me. One of the only bio bizz products, i dont like.
Green-Thumb Growing
Jonney View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Jonney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 00:24
i ordered my 2 sacks of all mix today!

i found fert control quite difficult on the light mix, like you solid i got yellowing and other fert deficiency problems.

I'm totally re-vamping my grow room tomorrow, cleaning, re light proofing and re connecting the scrubber and ventilation, gonna be putting my orient express and blueberry into her.

Dr Paul Hoch
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 00:56
Ooo, whos blueberry have you got? I got white labels. I cant wait. I put two seeds into cubes last night. They better bloody germ for me.

And the light mix is a pain. But the allmix is great. My plants are at 4 weeks now, and still dont need a feed.
Green-Thumb Growing
Jonney View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Jonney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 01:13
It's some low end job. some mates got them for me in amsterdam, they only cost 15 notes so i'm not expecting gold!

Thinkk they are flying dutchman seeds!

thats great about the all mix, my seeds are cracked and in 7 litre pots for the time being... re potting will commence when the all mix arrives.

Dr Paul Hoch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 42>