Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Poor Conditions can slow down flowering.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poor Conditions can slow down flowering.
    Posted: 21 February 2008 at 13:57
Anyone who's done some growing knows that poor environmental conditions - particularly during flowering - will have a negative impact on a plant's size yield and potency.

What's not always known is that poor conditions can actually slow a plant's flowering and extend the blooming period significantly.

The plants in these photos are virtually identical - clones cut from the same mother at the same time, which rooted at the about same speed, had the same vegetation time and went into flowering in the same time in the same spot.

While overall conditions have been good, the smaller of the two plants has had a tougher time its whole life, and as its clone sister in the same pot has improved, this has made conditions worse for the smaller one.

The two cuttings rooted in a single piece of rockwool (due to space considerations) and were left there until their roots had intertwined so much that separating them would probably have killed at least one of them. So, just for the heck of it, the two were put into the same pot and set to flower (the larger one was a few cm bigger than the smaller one at this stage).

The larger one might have rooted a day or two sooner, and whatever the reason, its root system was the dominant one in the single piece of rockwool.

This gave the larger one an advantage when the rockwool was put in a pot full of clayballs, and allowed it to take over most of the pot with its root system.

This allowed the bigger plant to grow faster, which meant that its foliage could spread faster and absorb most of the light that was hitting the pot, which gave it extra energy to extend its root system, and so on.

Thus, the smaller plant has had a life of less light and less root growth (while still being pretty healthy in and of itself).

The notable thing here is that the smaller one is not only going to yield less, but that it's clearly a couple of weeks behind its clone-sister in maturity.

Lower light leads to less bud, but the larger plant is at about 5-6 weeks flowering, while the smaller is at about 3-4.

Given that all other factors were identical, this is a nice demonstration that poor conditions in flowering really can increase flowering time by weeks.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Yaelandar View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Yaelandar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 14:07
Hi Ganja,

Thank's for these details about environment conditions and Flowering stage.

Peace Yael

Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 15:45
Very interesting. I wonder if there will be any difference in the taste/aroma of the two?

My uk cheese cuttings, are in different size and shape pots. Its quite interesting to see the differences between them.

What i am noticing, but dont know if its just coincidence, is the plants in the round pots, seem to be growing faster, and larger, than the cuts in square pots.

Anyone else ever noticed something like this? I have two in round pots, one a 10 litre, the other a 15litre. The 15 litre cut, looks bigger and more hea;thy than its sister in the 10 litre round pot, which is to be expected i suppose.

But theone in the square pot, looks smaller and less healthy than both of them, and the square pot, is a 12 litre pot, so bigger than the 10 litre, but not looking as vigourous.

It's a bit of a pain, because i prefer to use the square pots for space. But the plants in round pots, looks aloit nicer. Plus, the one in the 15 litre, is so much bigger, that i would like to grow all my plants in there pots. But they are quite large, and i can only fit 2 in my veg room, as compared to 6 of the 12 litre square pots and 10 litre round pots.

Green-Thumb Growing
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 16:25
The small one is doing fine in terms of resin and aroma, it's just a couple of weeks behind where it should be.

The larger one will be harvested first, and we'll leave the smaller one to continue, taking note of how long it needs to reach the same state (if not the same yield) as its big sister.

I don't know that square vs round pots makes a big difference in root growth. I think square is the more common standard in large scale indoor growing (legal included) where pots are used, but I couldn't swear to it.

Square pots are almost always used in the Museum.

Those two plants may be doing better because of other conditions, and the round pots could be a coincidence.
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2008 at 22:44
Well I guess that settles it, my plants need to get back into the sunshine. These things take long enough to flower as it is. Thanks Ganja Thumbs%20Up
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 21:03
Good one Ganga, as I have a very simple setup at the moment, it was good to read that post. Not growing optimally at the moment, but still doing fine, things are taking a little bit more time to get dialled in. Had a desaster last year and had to start from scratch....Life !!

Thanks....Stash
I soar like a bird in the wind , though I glide as I'm flying through Heaven.
Indica Lover View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Indica Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 03:40
Yeah Ganga that is a classic example of bad conditions slowing flower time. I have just started a new room and found things where inadequete i.e the ventillation was not good enough and the first 12 plants have been slowed down by 2 weeks, I can tell this cos I fixed the problem and put another 8 into flower and alas they are at the same stage now as the first 12. the first 12 are 28 days gone and the 8 are 15 days gone. The temp was a staggering 36 degree C. but now hovers around 24-27 oC. this is the first time I have done things wrong so my querie is: if I leave them all to crop at same time as they are all now at similair stage, will this effect yield ? or would you advise that I chop them when they have reached 45days as the are afghani's?
holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 07:10
unless your selling it grow it out till she`s done not buy the calander
Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
Indica Lover View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Indica Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 15:47

thanks for the advice. have also not done anything with PH, it is at 7, would water of PH 6.5 help now or would I be best to keep on going with a ph of 7. this is the first time I never used PH-. As we never had the money for it. this grow has just been flung togeather so we could get started. I wish I had just waited till all was in place. As my ladies are to big for the room too and I have been cracking the heads on them for the past 2 weeks.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 17:09
Better to give all of them, especially the slower ones, time to finish properly, rather than definitely cutting them at 45 days.

Adjusting pH is useful for making sure that nutrients are taken up properly, but it doesn't sound like your plants are suffering from a nutrient problem. Water of pH 7 is a bit alkaline, but shouldn't harm them.
Adjusting pH is not necessarily going to improve the grow, so if it's too costly don't worry, but if you can, you might as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>