Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Lighting
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

UVB Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UVB Light
    Posted: 28 April 2005 at 16:00

Hi eveyone

It is pretty well known that cannabis grown at high altitude will produce more resin than the same strain of cannabis grown closer to sea level, therefore the high altitude cannabis would receive more UVA/UVB and responds to this with more resin. My question is are there any such UVB lights that can be bought and utilized in a grow room alongside the HID's in the hope the buds would produce more resin than they would otherwise. The reason I say UVB is that I remember reading an article in High Times by Ed Rosenthal about this, and he was quite specific in mentioning the UVB rang of ultraviolet as beeing the trigger for this to happen. And while I'm at it - what about Sulfur lamps - are they available to growers yet?

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 17:05

It's sometimes claimed that high altitudes improve cannabis quality, but I suspect that this might be more folklore than fact (the kind of 'I just tried the best weed/hash ever' story that travellers to India return home with, in order to annoy their grower pals).

I haven't actually seen any data on the subject, so I wouldn't go so far as to claim that it's not true. But I reckon a better explanation is that consuming cannabis at a high altitude can have a significantly greater impact than at sea level. High-altitude cannabis consumed near where it was produced may absolutely floor the uninitiated, even if they're used to smoking decent cannabis at home.

Whether or not the altitude theory has any weight, it's definitely not advisable to use UV lighting in your grow-room (unless you want to use protective gear when you're tending your plants).

UVA rays are far from safe - they're beginning to show themselves to be potentially carcinogenic. But shorter UVB rays have long been known as a major factor in sun-related skin cancer.

UV is also dangerous to your eyes. UVA and UVB can both be factors in the causes of cataracts, macular degeneration and other eye conditions.

Even low-intensity UVB is not something you want to expose yourself to, if you can avoid it. The effects build up over time (ask any New Zealander or Australian).

So, with probable health damage vs possible improvement to plants, we'd give any form of indoor UV lighting a big 'no'.

Sulphur lamps seem much more attractive and less lethal, but they apparently disappeared from the face of the Earth shortly after they were annouced to the public.

I remember the High Times cover story ("Will This Bulb Revolutionise Indoor Growing?" or something similar), and a few other references to them - how energy efficient they were, how little heat they generated - then nothing. Apparently, the US Department Of Energy in Washington DC is illuminated with sulphur lights, but I've never seen one for sale.

We spoke to a customer who'd been researching them on the net, trying to find where to buy them. He was able to find documents published around the same time as the HT article, then nothing.

If you google the term 'sulphur bulbs' or 'sulphur lighting', you'll get some results, but most seem several years out of date. You might get better results searching for 'sulfur', but I hate to use that spelling...

It might be that suplhur bulbs are not being mass-produced and are thus still too expensive for general sale. A more paranoid person might assume that a shadowy energy conglomerate has bought the patent, or perhaps some arm of the DEA is preventing such a useful, efficient and hard-to-detect grow-light from being available to the public...

The cost issue seems more likely.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2005 at 18:17

Thanks for enlightning me ganga, the subject of Ultraviolet light and cannabis has been bugging me for some time now and that one on sulphur lights. The genetics of my plants are more than good enough anyhows, and through good care and optimizing their conditions I get more than good results.

Thanks again. Peace

Stashman

mrnice View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mrnice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 22:49
my doctor friend ensures me that at a high altitude the weed is no stronger than at low altitude but will seem stronger due to less oxygen in the atmousphere therefore making the canabinol "high" more effective and the user much more f****d
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 11:42

That was my no-medical-training guess as well.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2005 at 15:50

Just when I thought I was barking up the wrong tree I found an interesting link that confirms my thoughts on the matter of UVB light and its relation to resin development on cannabis. This link is very enlightening, as it explains the path of UV light on the equator as well as high altitudes and it's well worth a visit just for curiositys sake.  http://cannabisculture.com/articles/2696.html

Peace

Post Reply Post Reply