Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains > Advice on Choosing a Strain
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

greenhouse in winter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pigdog View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote pigdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: greenhouse in winter
    Posted: 01 May 2008 at 23:20
Hi
I want to grow in an Australian Winter using a green house. I tried a lowryder mix recently but they were poor. I want a potent plant high yield would be nice.
Typical winter are absolute minimum 5 degree at night, day time temp 15-20 degree with few frosts. They would be in pots with potting mix. I have had summer time success with Dutch Mazar, Jamacian Pearl.
Im thinking of some of the autoflowering but they are so small or one of the skunk varieties.

Any thoughts
Pigdog
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2008 at 16:04
Gidday Pigdog,

It is possible, but probably not a practical way to produce a significant harvest.
You will need to use an auto flowering strain to achieve growth and flowering with natural.

Apart from that it depends on getting enough sunny days and keeping the plants warm enough at night.

Good luck

sara lou weed%20leaf
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 11:08
Depends how far north you are. The closer to the equator, the less change in day-length between summer and winter.

If you're quite a long way north, you could probably grow Sativas if the winter day is not too much shorter than 12hrs. IIRC, Sydney, which is fairly southern as Australian cities go, only changes about 3 hours between summer and winter.

Anyhow, you could start Sativas in a shortish day and have them start flowering almost immediately, while still gaining height. With decent access to sun, they could flower quite nicely before the day starts increasing in length enough that their blooming is affected.

The other option would be to allow plant to gain height in an 18hr fluorescent cycle, then put them out into the short day to flower.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Dreadnaught009 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Dreadnaught009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2008 at 13:42

My friend i checked this discusion forum about lowryders and according to the answer you gave i would like to ask for your help.

Im in south italy and im planning to grow lowryders in winter. in order to do that i have a large glass greenhouse and i have equipment there to control temperarure, humidity and co2 but i dont have artificial light. Is there any possibility to start growing there form january-february lowryders and succed 10-15 grms per plant yield with the sun natural sun available that season?

snoopy85 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote snoopy85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2008 at 19:16
im just asking myself why you want to do that?!? is the coasts to heat a greenhouse not very high in winters?why dont you do it indoors or if you have a good place, maybe a lamp would be great, but the its nearly the same as indoor
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2008 at 13:11
Snoopy, winter is different in Australia

If your winter looked like this... would you think about growing out of season?

This is why people in Australia seem to do strange things... like try and grow cannabis  during the winter.

It's a bit like England in the summer, minus the rain that you can expect from an English summer.

sara lou weed%20leaf

What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
snoopy85 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote snoopy85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2008 at 16:26
I think in europe s wether or better said intesity of sunbeams in winter is not so high...but as exmample lowryder could be possible cause its low light sort of cannabis and because its a ruderalis cross it can be nearly growed in every climate...as example finnland to
snoopy85 View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote snoopy85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2008 at 17:27
I just think about to try some low light grow in a house  of a friend who has much space ,with a little window cutten out and I want to use the same material as greenhouse are build...what do you think,or its better to take the "normal"glasses? its possible that I can simulate that winter light by reducing the incoming by a window...I know this sounds very tricky, but I thought with a little window so about 40cmx60cmx2cm it should be possible cause ther still seem to be much enough light coming...like a little wintergarden.I have too some incoming air and some ventilators..I will give some hours of light maybe that they have 18/6 but I just wont to use for 6hours a day electrical light(maybe a 100w or 70w hps and some cm more away than else)   .what do you think? is it a try worth as example with lowryder?
 Post Reply Post Reply