Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Outdoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Very first time (last pics: October 1st)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
[sensi_noob] View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote [sensi_noob] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very first time (last pics: October 1st)
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 13:24
Hello to all,

First a big thanks to all the veterans on this forum for all the information provided. I've spent quite some time reading posts and learning a lot.

I live in the South of France and have chosen Early Skunk for outdoors growing. Today is Day 5 and I think things are looking good for now... Let me know if you think you see a problem (see pictures below)

Question: I've read quite a few times that bringing seedlings outside in full sunlight during the day can be beneficial, but that this should be done in moderation as these little babies are still fragile. I've also read from Mountain Girl's Primo Plant book that it's OK, but that filtered sunlight is best for the first few days whiel they grow stronger. So I've improvised the following sunscreen (see pictures below) using those thingies you put on car windows during the summer. Do you think this is OK ? Or am I better off leaving them inside by the window with a small fan on ? Note: the weather is great right now: sunny, 21 ° C with a light breeze.

Many thanks in advance. I'll be posting more pictures every week as things develop...

"Truth is what stands the test of experience." - Albert Einstein
holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 19:46
the pics look fine and i think the "shades" are a great idea in say another weeks time once then get first set of three fingered leafs you should be able to leave "shades off" welcome to sensi, best of luck, and happy growing.
Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote [sensi_noob] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 20:18
Thanks holistic, for the feedback and the welcome.

Update: I can now upload pics to the forum, so here they are (day 5). I'll upload more every once in a while...

sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 06:06
I agree that the shades are a good idea. In a bout a week or so, depending on growth you could leave the shades off during the earlier part of the day, but keep the protection up for a while in the hotter part of the day.

if you are planning to continue the grow in pots, consider someway of preventing the direct sunlight from striking the pots. The black pots will absorb an awful lot of heat on a sunny day and can fry your root system. I've taken to spray painting the pots white to lower the soil temps, it works. 
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:01

welcome sensi noob Thumbs%20Up

good job on germination mate, 6 little beauties there, good luck with them my friend. excellant idea on the shades Cool

BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote [sensi_noob] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:02

Hi sarah louise,

Thanks for the great advice on painting the pots. I have a rooftop terrace (which you can kind of see on a couple of the pics) so indeed they will be spending the summer there in larger pots. I was thinking 20 liter pots should be fine.

I'll see if my local garden center has any white or light colored ones, otherwise I will indeed get myself a white paint spray. It does get awfully hot here in the summer, with temps up to 35 - 40 °C in July / August and a very strong sun...
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote [sensi_noob] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 10:04
Thanks bartmanuk ! Will keep you guys posted as they get bigger...
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:13
For a roof top terrace I would be going for larger pots. I've found 40 litre to be more effective at maintaining stable soil temperature than 20 litre pots. Other than that, mulch the soil surface with pale coloured, organic material (like straw) to shade the soil and reduce evaporation.

best of luck with your grow weed%20leaf
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote [sensi_noob] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 12:57
Thanks again for all the good advice, sarah. Thumbs%20Up

I may stick with the 20 liters though, as I don't want the plants to get too huge for privacy reasons. Though I'm on the roof, our region is very dry and often has fires; thus we sometimes get helicopter fly-bys. I also work from home and will occasionnally need to hide the plants in the small shed I have on the terrace when clients come over. The six 20-liter pots will fit, but I'm not sure about the 40 liter ones...

But I'll definitely keep in mind the advice about mulching and watching soil temperature.

Thx again & cheers ! Smile
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 00:21
Ok, I understand why you want to stay with the smaller pots. 40L pots are heavy even when dry and difficult to move by one person.

You may find you need to put the plants in light shade during the middle of the day to keep the temps down.

Something else to think about ~ It is statistically unlikely that you will have 6 female plants, that is, unless Early Skunk has a feminised form. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>