Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Harvest and Beyond
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

How to dry the buds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tesmaker View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote tesmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to dry the buds
    Posted: 30 April 2005 at 22:17

What is the easiest way to dry the indoor plants. Can you tell me about the surrounding conditions? Thanks in advance.

Tompa View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Tompa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 17:37

I hang mine on klotheshangers, keep them in the closet. Cures nicely in 6-7days.

Curing slow is a good way to keep flavors and high at it's best

NL#5xH
mrnice View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mrnice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2005 at 21:47
never prematurely dry your buds. keep them in a room with an average temp/ humidity upside down for about a week or two that should do it.
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2005 at 19:53

Yeah as mrnice says never prematurely dry your buds - this will result in a loss of potency. Ideally you should have a seperate room to dry/cure your buds. The ideal temperature should be around 18C with a fan blowing gently over the plants minus the shade leaves and hanging upside down ( to help form nice shaped nugs ), yeah keep the buds on the main stems, as the helps in the process as the buds will still be using up sugars which will enhance the overall product. This process takes two to three weeks. Then take the buds off their stems ( the stems should snap - then you know there done, well almost ).Put these buds in tupper ware type containers or any thing airtight - like glass jars, don't pack em in, just loose enough to fill the containers. After 24 hours take all the buds out again and they'll probably fill a little damp. Then leave them overnight in a warm, dark dry place to finally dry off properly, then re-pack them into containers for storage. Heat, light and mold will ruin your buds if not careful. This is how I do it anyway. Hope it helps

peace

Stahman

Artifice View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Artifice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 00:14

TAKEN FROM ANOTHER FORUM::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I am writing this to hopefully help newer growers on how to properly cure you buds and I got a few pics that I will add as I update it.

1st of harvest, this can be a big thing and you can easily f**k this up right off.

I contend that when you harvest you should cut the branches of the plant off and start to hang them in a closet or somewhere that is dark with little light. Depending on the size I usually go with a 2 foot rule so that you can fill a closet up with lines tacked or nailed into the wall. I have heard that light does not aid the curing process and can also cause many problems. I usually trim the leaves off but I state this is not necessary, I do it to save time on trimming up the buds later. I have friends who just chop and hang and do the trimming later. My main thing is that some of the leaves might be brushing off precious trics when you goto cure them.

I would say when hanging the bud branches make a laundry line to hang from and don't over crowd your hanging buds. Hang upside down in a room with a lack of humidity in the air - you're trying to dry them out not keep them wet and trying not to get them moldy.

I usually wait about a week or so maybe longer, I know that they are almost ready to be transfered to jars (will get into that later) when the branches snap, a semi dry snap, not a moist snap.After this I will trim up the rest of the buds, take the leaves and save them for cooking or just toss them, its up to the person I would say. I like to use 6 oz mason jars with the screw on lids, with the seals on the inside. Put the buds in the jars, not jam pack, but loose enough to help them have some space. I usually open the jars once a day and shake (not like a earthquake) them a bit to get air to move around,usually I leave them open for about 15 mins to get air moved around and let the stale air out. Again I leave them in a dark place. I have noticed depending on the environment that this could take 2 weeks or more, seeing as it seems that the buds take on more taste and potency with the cure for the time it takes to cure. You will know your buds are done when they are crisp, but not crumbling into dust when you touch them. There's no point to rush good buds in the curing stage, once again you don't want to f**k this up seeing as that you took 3 months to get to this pivotal time. To me jars seem the way to go. When they are done they should smoke smooth and not be harsh like burning leaves, you should get a decent taste and a good high.

... the only thing I do diff is to not let them "air-dry" to the "snap" stage.. IMO, part of the curing process involves the plant having TIME to process the chlorophyll out of the bud ...and this can only be achieved if there is some moisture present... a longer and more gradual drying is in order to assure the buds stay hydrated enough for this to occur...

Hope that Helps
:Arti:
rajasdope View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rajasdope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2007 at 08:54
Dudes, I have a problem, I have to transport my ladies on a 4hr. drive to dry.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should do this?  I am planning on cutting and wrapping in some saran wrap, then boxing them up, leaving them under a car air conditioner, then taking them to dry.  Remember, it is summer, will this work?  Should I pack the entire plant, or should I take just branches?  Thanks so much.
rajasdope View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rajasdope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2007 at 01:27
    The reason I ask is due to the heat of the summer and if trichomes will be affected. Might they be affected by transport and heat, or not so much when they are that fresh? Thanks.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2007 at 17:16
It might be better to reduce them to just branches.

I wouldn't worry about the cling-film/saran wrap. It won't keep smell in very well, and won't protect the buds much. Maybe some of the largest ziplocks available (lb or kg size) - which will do more to trap the smell and also allow some air to be sealed inside, to cushion the wet buds.

Also don't worry about the car AC. They don't need to stay that cool (maybe, ifb temps are over 35C/100F), and the AC may actually have a negative effect, by drying out the foliage nearest to the unit, or by spreading the smell through your car.

A 4hr drive won't do much to reduce the quality of buds - they'll still be very wet if freshly cut, so they won't dry out, even on a hot drive.

Some sources say that a little heat is necessary to decarboxylate THC-acid to psychoactive THC (same for all cannabinoids, apparently). So the plants should be fine.

Drive safe, and don't go attracting attention to yourself!
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2007 at 16:36
Hey dude, I agree with all Ganja says, but man your car is gonna STINK during that 4hr drive. Fresh cannabis seems to give off the strongest smell when it's being moved around. Make sure there's no one driving behind you in a convertible... Thumbs Up
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
rajasdope View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote rajasdope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2007 at 09:14
Thanks dudes.  I will try to keep low key.  I think that I am going to try to use those large tuperware containers for storage.  I also have a friend that has a big ass German Sherpard that he is gonna let me borrow in case anyone becomes enticed by the glorious smell.  I will try to send some pictures before I cut the ladies down.  Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply