Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My Seeds! My Babies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
matski View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote matski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Seeds! My Babies!
    Posted: 07 August 2008 at 01:17
lol sorry but this is all quite new to me.
Basically I bought some movely Power Plant seeds from the Sensi Seed bank, and followed the guide to put them between 4 sheets of wet kitchen roll, between 2 plates, and 2 days later woohoo we have life, however, the roots on 2 of them were exceptionally long, like one of them was 3 cm's! I have stuffed them all into some Fleximix Root Riot Organic Starter cubes, made sure they were covered over, shove them into a propagotr, shoved that inside a home made hinged box with 3 standard strip lights (udeal for cuttings) (only 2 lights switched on). My real question is basically, are they going to be ok? I was worried about the extraoridinary length of the seed roots and the awkwardness of stuffing them into the cubes.
Thanks for your help
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 01:53
Congratulations man. You've crossed over from a cannabis seed collector, to a "criminal".(in the eyes of the establishment) LOL. It's much nicer this side of the fence though. Aslong as you don't get caught. Just don't forget, do not tell anyone else you are growing.

Good luck with your power plant. They should be fine, aslong as you weren't too rough with them, and damaged the taproot. I'd have put them into a pot of soil rather than a cube. But i don't start seeds in paper towels, i start them in the soil cubes.
JackFlacket View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote JackFlacket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 04:55

once knew a guy kept on & on bout his "exceptionally long" seed root.   he's dead & i'm bald.  hardeeharhar.   matski dear, the big dogs here will need details, temps, wattage; air flow to guide you all i can really say is don't worry about the extraterrestrial lengths nor  the rootcubestuffing into awckwardness.  i suspect you are onto a good thing.

Ying%20Yang

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 09:37
It's better to take seeds from the paper towels as soon as they put forth the first millimetre or two of root.
Many will do this within the first 24hrs, so check regularly.

If seeds are left in the germination medium too long, they will grow long as they have in this case, as they try to break through the soil they perceive to be keeping them in the dark.

As long as you're careful not to break the main root, and keep it pointing downwards when planting germinated seedlings, all should be well.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
matski View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote matski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:30
cool should be ok then, the roots fealt very stiff so no breakages, what was worrying was the shell around one of them was very lose, presumably they lose this bit anyway, We will see how well it work soon.
Hmm, Im not a complete novice in that im not on my own in this game, living with my parents who have been growing nearly my whole life, thus I have their wisdom and we are doing this togethe, its just they have never grown from seed before, usually use cuttings heh.
We have a fan on a timer in the main grow room which creates windflow for about 12 hours a day and the temp is roughly 21celsius, but it does raise upto 28 which is normal for this time of year I guess.

Do you reckon it would be a good idea to put a small fan inside the box with the propogator in? past experience from cuttings suggested they will be fine without windflow until they are under the proper light.

Thank you all again, these forums are so much help, and also incredibly interesting, I shall be posting some pictures soon if it all works heh
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:35
Without some sort of breeze or air movement, new seedlings do have a tendency to grow very tall when emerging from the growing medium, then they often fall over.

If there is a gentle breeze blowing across seedlings as they emerge, their stems become much stronger and they rarely fall over.

Also, the seed casing should be thrown off the seedling as the cotyledons (first round leaves) open.

Occasionally, a seed casing will stick to one cotyledon via a dried membrane. This is unlikely to affect the seedling, as the cotyledons aren't crucial for photosynthesis beyond the first few days, and a larger seedling can easily support the weight.

More occasionally, a casing will not open immediately, and a seedling will emerge from the soil with the casing enclosing the the cotyledons. In most cases, the seedling will still throw off the casing eventually, but some growers will choose to remove it very carefully, using fingernails or toothpicks to pull the sides of the casing in opposite directions without exerting any pressure on the seedling.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Nemo View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Nemo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 18:33
Hey mate, just my 2c worth:

I've never found a need for a propagator for seedlings. Cuttings work fine with a prop but no fan, but for seedlings I'd use a fan and no prop.

If you're in the UK and your max temp at the minute is only 28 then you're doing great on temps! I wouldn't worry at all until it starts hitting 30 plus, and even then it shouldn;t cause real problems unless it's that hot all day every day or if gets above about 34.
Sensi's collection of Indoor Cannabis Seeds

No Turn Unstoned
matski View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote matski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 13:40
hey guys, thanks again! 4 of 5 seeds hace come through and are looking great, fingers crossed for the last one heh, here is a pic

bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2008 at 14:50

nice work matski,

not bad for your 1st attempt, hope the 5th one sprouts soon for ya.

BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Hitman View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 16:55

nice photos,so far so good mate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>