Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Myths
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

cannabis and cool weather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jimdandy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote jimdandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cannabis and cool weather
    Posted: 12 September 2008 at 03:07
Hey everyone,  
I'm wondering how cold temperatures can go before the plant starts to slow down growth.  The weather here only gets down' to around 50 F up to the end of December.  I'm thinking of starting a few plants that would be protected but not heated.
If I start them October 1st.  would I get a few buds before the end of December?
Thanks for any info.
jimdandy
It is what it is
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2008 at 20:50
Hey,

yes, go ahead, jimdandy! As plants do not keep their tissue at a fixed temperature (as mammals do) their growth depends on the temperature of their enviroment. Hemp is the most continental plant and likes warm summers, though.

Uli
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 00:12
mj stops growing when temps drop to 57F, to get anything worth harvesting you will need to veg plants for at least 2 weeks before putting them into flower, to veg them you will need to give them more than 12 hours of light per day, which wont be possible outdoors at that time of year. then the flowering period for most of the quicker strains is approx, 8 weeks.
you have to bare in mind that the days will start getting longer in late december, which again may affect flowering.

BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 14:50
Hi,

let me pick out your answer, BRTMNK, for the sake of chit-chat:
mj stops growing when temps drop to 57F

Um, that is 14 degrees Celsius. Average temperatures of my season are around this value or even less. I have germinated hemp seeds at around 5 degrees, maybe one degree more since the wetted potting soil and the germinating seed produce warmth by themselves.

to get anything worth harvesting you will need to veg plants for at least 2 weeks before putting them into flower, to veg them you will need to give them more than 12 hours of light per day, which wont be possible outdoors at that time of year.

I thought that a seedling vegetates for a month or so before it starts to flower, no matter what photoperiod. A fast auto-flowerer in a hot environment may show sex already after two weeks. Plant cultivation in living rooms with artificial lighting is considered hot by natural standards unless air conditioning, dichromatic reflectors, cool tubes and such are used.

As long as you do not choose an auto-flowerer or a fast INDICA the plants should grow at least knee-high and finish in December indeed, jimdandy.

then the flowering period for most of the quicker strains is approx, 8 weeks.
you have to bare in mind that the days will start getting longer in late december, which again may affect flowering.

One month vegetation plus two months flowering equals a three month lifetime, say Oct-Nov-Dec. Now jimdandy lives way down south where the days do not get that short. At the solstice the change in photoperiod is slow (which is why big stone circles had to be used to determine solstice) and plants should be able to finish without problems.

20'Thai rambled about winter growing, stating that in South Africa, Australia and elsewhere the winter crop --which may live through frost, snow and storm-- is sometimes considered the best. Hemp can stand arctic weather not just anecdotally but rather reliably although this also depends on the variety and the general state of health.

Uli
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 16:08
uli mate,
all info ive ever read states that mj stops growing when temps drop to 14c (57f) ive even read it on this site. sensi advise to germinate at 20c i think.

a seedling is a seedling until vigourous growth starts, usually 2-3 weeks, then 2 weeks veg, followed by 8 weeks flowering. so your looking at 12-13 weeks total.
i honestly dont believe that he will be able to veg in a natural 12/12 photoperiod, so his plants will probably go straight into flower once germinated as they will be getting 12 hours of darkness (and more) right from the start. if plants vegged for a month or so no matter what the photoperiod, then it wouldnt be worth putting sativa dominent strains straight into 12/12 once germed, for indoor growing.

auto flowerers on the other hand, can be grown from seed to harvest in 10-12 weeks no matter what the photoperiod.

i dont know where in the states jimdandy is from, so if it is in the south it may be possible, im no expert on the autumnal equinox so im not sure how it affects the southern areas of the northern hemisphere, so he may get longer days for a longer time, maybe someone who does may chip in.

and i dont doubt the winter growing in the southern hemisphere, although i do doubt its done in frost and snow.
but i stand to be corrected.
i would have thought the only hemp to grow successfully in arctic conditions, would be a non thc variety.

BM weed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 22:02

this is from the sensi shop, under growing strains outside.

• Please note: although many parts of the world have a mild or warm winter, outdoor growing is usually only possible in spring and summer. This is because most cannabis relies on a changing photoperiod (hours of light per day) to flower, mature and ripen. Near the equator, where the day stays around 12 hours in length all year long, outdoor growing is possible at any time except the wet season. Outdoor growers in the tropics are advised to choose Sativa strains, which are native to the equatorial regions and can perform superbly in a constant 12-hour photoperiod.
  • hope this helps.

BM weed%20leaf
    sarah louise View Drop Down
    Sensi Moderator
    Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 05:05
    Maybe I should add something to this discussion...

naturalised thai x at

36'SLat,

longest day 14.4 hrs, shortest day 9.5 hrs.

Mid winter avg natural 'bright light' 4hrs

Lowest Winter temp -2C, avg  daytime 13C

Summer - fecking hot and dry.

soil grow thru summer (late flowering)-

same strain, pot grown thru summer with LST 40L, (early flowering) -

same strain, pot grown thru winter with LST, 12L, (early flowering) -

same strain, soil grown germed in late winter 4 months old (preflower) -

same strain, pot grown germed in late summer 4 months old (flowering) -

I read and heard a lot about cannabis in the last 45 years, most of it wasn't true.

I get spontaneous germination at about a soil temp of 13C, below that it doesn't seem to happen, at least in my garden.

sara lou weed%20leaf
    What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
    Grasso View Drop Down
    Sensi Advanced Grower
    Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 22:35
    Hi,

nice picture, Madam, but the small plants have had too much "love". Maybe your kind of soil lives with the seasons too much, or maybe a self-fulfilling prophecy? Bartmanuk, you argue by dry logics as if you had never risen a plant, but make it up by quoting the sensi FAQ. Columbian days have 12 hours. Still acclimatized plants grow for months before starting flowering.

German farmers sow hemp when soil temperature has reached 7 degrees. I sowed 3 seeds at around 5 degrees. Two seedlings arose. Believe it or not!

I sowed tiny homps (hemp x hops, the latter being very recessive) seeds at the solstice. Although this summer has been week and although my garden has a very simple loam soil I had to prune the plants twice in order to keem them ducked behind the tobacco. Now they flower nicely. I can grow sweet corn in summer and spinach in winter, so why can jimdandy not have an autumn grow in his sub-tropical climate? It is the easiest because the season is at its pinnacle and the most stealthy because noone suspects small ganja plants around this time of year.

Uli
    bartmanuk View Drop Down
    Sensi Advanced Grower
    Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 23:10
    hey uli, im not meaning to argue dude, im only stating things i have read in grow books, and have been told by other growers, as i said before, i dont know where jimdandy is from, his info only says united states.
    i only quoted the sensi bit, to point out what they advise.

BM weed%20leaf
    sarah louise View Drop Down
    Sensi Moderator
    Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2008 at 02:04
    Uli, there is no need to shit on BM, so what if he is quoting Sensi's FAQ's?  I think Sensi's FAQ's are pretty relevant to the discussion.

You on the other hand seem to be having a flight of fancy.

Of course, you can grow corn in the summer and spinach in the winter - that is when both of them are supposed to grow.

Funny thing about spinach, it is the most cold tolerant of all vegetables, which can survive having both it's above and below ground masses frozen. But even spinach grows better in the spring and autumn when soil and air temps are warmer.

Anyway, it is hardly relevant to whether Jimdandy can, at an unknown latitude, grow cannabis out of season, start to finish in 3 months.

I will summarise my pic post in little words -

triffid in the ground in summer - big plant (2 lbs)

triffid in a pot in summer - small plant (4-6 oz)

triffid in pot in winter - puny plant (1/8 oz)

It takes the same amount of time to grow them, even though the ones planted out of season are in short day conditions from germination.

3 grams is hardly worth the water it takes to moisten the seed for germination.

I'd hardly say that this is a worthwhile time for Jimdandy to start anything other than Ruderalis Indica.

What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>