Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Lighting
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Indoor growing (equiping closet for light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ithal1 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Ithal1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indoor growing (equiping closet for light
    Posted: 20 May 2005 at 16:51

Hello everybody!

What are the effects for attaching alluminium foil pappers allround the innerside of the closet? Is it good as a reflector for the plants? How will HPS light or  plants react to it.

This is my new uppcoming experiment, so I really need some help with answers regarding this issue.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2005 at 17:24

Foil is OK, but it's really fragile, and the lining of your closet will probably have to be replaced regularly.

Silver or gold materials and mirrors may have a problem of reflecting heat, as well as visible light. This could be a problem with a 400w HPS if it's in a very small space.

White is a great reflector - whether you use paint or white plastic. I'm pretty sure that it's less able to reflect heat, and will reflect mostly visible light.

I'm curious if there's any noticeable advantage to oufitting a flowering chamber with red/orange reflective material. Would the reflected light be any better for the plants?

I guess not, as it would probably be of lower intensity, due to wavelength.

Anyway, I think that if your HPS lamp is giving off light that's mostly red/orange, white reflective material will do a fine job of reflecting it, plus all other visible light.  Red/orange reflective material would just cut down the amount and intenisty of reflected light.

Still, I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried it.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
dmdm View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dmdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 10:28
i would get the heavy duty thick black n white plastic.

its good at reflecting and it is wipable.

also u can make an instant wall with just a pack of drawing pins.

and with foil u can get heat spots the foil has to be tight with no creases or it can reflect light/heat more intensly on 1 spot causing leave/bud burn.
milehigh View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 15:06
Don't use foil. Look at the photos of grows anywhere. No one uses foil. It does create hot spots. The best and easiest is just a can of flat white paint. Paint everything flat white and you will get all the reflection you need.

milehigh
stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 14:09

Like milehigh says best not use foil. I always use the back and white reflective sheeting as it's very efficient at reflecting light without creating hotspots. Mylar is also good for reflecting but again it rips easily, although there is Mylar with a plastic backing which solves this - Mylar reflective sheeting is quite expensive as opposed to black and white reflective sheeting. Anyway if you're going to use foil, put it up with the non mirrored finish reflecting the light, not the shiney side as this will cause all of the problems mentioned before. Good luck and happy growing.

Peacemilehigh

Gr1mey View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Gr1mey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2005 at 23:08

Iv recently just purchased 10 northern lights seeds and will be planting them soon. I was just wondering when you know when the plant is ready for budding?

stashman View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote stashman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2005 at 18:31

After vegging for about 3 - 4 weeks or when they reach two to three feet in height. Take a look at sensi frequently asked questions, you'll get a lot of information there. Happy growing mate.

Peace

Dazed&Confused View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Dazed&Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2007 at 20:38
    T5, CFL, or 150w HPS

Which is going to give me low heat with best producing light.? 6square feet surface area.
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2007 at 00:19
The T5 and the CFL produce low heat, the HPS is better for producing light and is the best light for flowering cannabis. However, if you want to get a decent harvest, you should really use a 250w HPS minimum.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
 Post Reply Post Reply