Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

sensi breeding question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whodair View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote whodair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sensi breeding question
    Posted: 04 October 2008 at 06:57
do the sensi strains evolve through breeding over time?  would a 1988 skunk 1 be the same as a '98 or '08?  how is it possible to maintain consistency without gradually drifting from the pure?

maybe they're improving through selection

k
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2008 at 15:21
Light cycle control and propagation by cloning allow the same individual parent plants  - female and male - to be kept alive for decades, if required.

With care and the proper facilities, hybrid seed strains can be made from the exact same parents for a very long time.
When making crosses from true-breeding hybrids or stable cultivars, keeping a particular set of parents may not be necessary, as subsequent generations of plants should perform in the same way. However, notable examples and established parents are always preserved.

Some strains would have been improved with selection over time, if it was found to be necessary or desirable.

Skunk #1 - with the exception of occasional stand-out individuals, such as Cheese - should be the same as it was 10 or 20 years ago.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
mike View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 05:20

I've read in a book or 2 that when it comes to breeding anything from single cell animals to the most complex animals its just a matter of numbers ie like they use to think DNA was for each person only but in the past few years they have found people in different countries that have the same DNA so not sure how many people there are on the planet but I'm sure it ranges in the billions but let say 1 in 10 million have the same genes now apply that to a plant that can easily have 1,000 seeds then that same plant is cloned and used for lets say 5 breedings a year for the last 30 years it comes to a 150,000 just for 1 clone used to make seed.

But point being is I'm sure Sensi makes way more seed then that so at some point some has either gotten the cheese pheno before or will again at some point as its just a matter of numbers

Sorry if i rammbled on been smoking some fresh clippings hash

help my plant's fell over and can't stand up
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2008 at 11:37
I would think that, over the years, many people have gotten a cheese-phenotype from Skunk #1 seeds. The UK one has been preserved and passed around a lot, but I sincerely doubt that it's a unique pheno, or even one-in-a-million. It probably pops up with some regularity.

I'm not sure that unrelated people in different countries can have identical DNA. They would most likely look identical (or nearly so) if that were the case, as with identical twins.
It is a matter of numbers when it comes to DNA variation, but the numbers are so enormous, with billions or trillions of possible combinations, that even in a population of 7 billion people, two with the same DNA would be unlikely.

It may be that the markers used in DNA testing can give the same results for two completely different people, but I think that would be because the genes being tested are a tiny sample of each person's DNA.
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 01:09
I would think that, over the years, many people have gotten a cheese-phenotype from Skunk #1 seeds. The UK one has been preserved and passed around a lot, but I sincerely doubt that it's a unique pheno, or even one-in-a-million. It probably pops up with some regularity

I certainly don't agree with that. It may not be a one-in-a-million. But i doubt many people have got a cheese pheno, and definatly don't think it pops up with some regularity. If it did, wouldn't all the dutch/canadian/US breeders have grown enough skunk#1's to find these phenos by now and clone them if they are so regular?

In my opinion, ukcheese is unique, as is every individual person and plant. There is no other cheese from a skunk#1. If you were extremley lucky, you might find something slightly resembling it, but the skunk#1's i've grown have been nothing like ukcheese in anyway at all. Admitteddly i've only grown it twice. But i see no similarity.

If you want something that resembles ukcheese, you are much better lookig off in the big buddha cheese seeds than anybodies skunk#1. I've got my last bbcheese in flower now, and it's as similar to the real deal as i can imagine getting, and again, nothing like skunk#1.

I am sure if the cheese phenotype popped as regulary as you rekon, alot of people would have it by now, and it wouldn't of been so localised to the uk. There must be millions of skunk#1 seeds grown over the years, and not one person has cloned a cheese pheno, when it's such a stand out plant, or even mentioned having grown one? Nah, i just can't see it honestly.
Green-Thumb Growing
whodair View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote whodair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2008 at 08:25

the UK cheese clone needs to catch a flight to the dam, jump in bed with a bunch of skunk boys, and we could all go home with some babies to raise

seriously, i wish the elusive clone only strains were easier to blend back into the gene pool and produce consistent phenos closest to the clone parent

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 16:39

Whodair - there's lots of Cheese in Amsterdam. Plenty of people grow the clone-only version, and it commands a decent price, like other famous/potent strains of recent years, such as Diesel and Amnesia. 

No doubt there are breeders and seed-sellers working on making lines from the
UK clone.

Solid, I don't really follow your argument.
Naturally, many people, breeders included, have found stand-out phenos of Skunk #1 and cloned them for further harvests or hybrids. Some would have kept their original name, many others would have been re-christened. Entire seed companies have been launched from such finds…

Of course, no-one else happened to name their stand-out Skunk #1 pheno ‘Cheese’, but that’s to be expected.

Aside from the name, what qualities are you using to identify Cheese? It’s got a Skunky formation, dense buds and is especially stinky, resinous and potent. This description could be applied many ‘elite’ clones that are passed around from grower to grower and  would certainly fit a fair number of Skunk #1 grown from seed (not to mention Super Skunk and Shiva Skunk).

We’ve seen a lot of Cheese in the last few years, and it’s great weed, no question about that. However we have definitely seen its like before (as have growers in other countries, no doubt), so to suggest that this phenotype has only occurred in the UK doesn’t add up. Britain is where this Skunk #1 pheno was preserved and passed around as Cheese, subsequently gaining a good reputation and following.

I think the fame of Cheese is partly due the fact that it’s a top-quality pheno, partly due to it being well-known and well-grown in Britain - a country which had, until very recently, a truly dire level of cannabis quality.

Post Reply Post Reply