Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Myths
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Does Mycorrhizea really help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jimdandy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote jimdandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Mycorrhizea really help?
    Posted: 12 October 2008 at 05:11

Hey Everyone,  I'm wondering about this one?

I copied part of Wikis entry on this. 

Plants grown in sterile soils and growth media often perform poorly without the addition of spores or hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi to colonise the plant roots and aid in the uptake of soil mineral nutrients. The absence of mycorrhizal fungi can also slow plant growth in early succession or on degraded landscapes.[7]

Regards,
Jimdandy
It is what it is
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2008 at 03:54
Mycorrhizal symbiosis is the basis of true soil feeding.

Mycolog has a more understandable expanation than the wiki entry.

Originally posted by www.mycolog.com/mycorrhiza.htm

How do fungi form partnerships with most plants?

Without fungi, there would be no forests, and perhaps not even any land plants. This is because a few thousand fungi have evolved intimate and essential relationships with the roots of almost all living plants. They work like this...

The fungus explores the soil and brings back scarce mineral nutrients, especially phosphorus, to the plant. The plant hands over to the fungus some of the sugars it has made by photosynthesis.

The fungi grow around and into the roots, establishing a microscopic interface across which phosphorus moves one way while sugars move the other way. Both partners benefit, and neither would thrive without the other.

The partnership is called a mycorrhizal symbiosis, and about 90% of all plants have these specialized fungi on and in their roots.

There are basically 2 kinds of mycorrhiza.

1) The kind established with about 2 000 species of coniferous trees involves about 5 000 fungi of the kind that form mushrooms or truffles. These fungi produce a mantle around the roots and grow between the root cells but never penetrate them. This creates an ectomycorrhiza.

2) The other kind is called an endomycorrhiza. This is a very ancient relationship (it evolved 400 million years ago) and involves microscopic fungi that penetrate the root cells and make tiny tree-like organs inside. These fungi form spores in the soil but no structures that could be seen by the naked eye. Endomycorrhizas are formed by perhaps 250 000 species of plants.

But will this means buying a commercial product to inoculate your soils will result in bigger buds? - I don't think so,

What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
 Post Reply Post Reply