Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Germination, Seedlings & Vegetative Growth
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Weak/tall seedlings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
egawish View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote egawish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weak/tall seedlings
    Posted: 24 June 2005 at 15:04

Hello everybody,

Well yes it's my first time  to grow at home and i need you to help me.

After placing the seeds in the medium and after it gets tall, i find it falling. Kind of being heavy so it falls. What should i do?? i wake up in he morning to find my favorite one (bigger leaf) down and i find it semi broke (if yu know what i mean?).

Should i place a match or toothpick to help it stand or what should i do????????

dmdm View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dmdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 15:21
yeah get support for your babies, and get a fan and blow across your plants this helps strenghen the stem.

maybe look at what light they recieve as too much/little can make them rather lanky and fall over.

what light do they get ?.

egawish View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote egawish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 21:04
hey dmdm, thanks for your reply. well since they are in the medium they get plenty of light but not direct light. For your info i live Egypt (plenty of sun and light). I tried to put a toothpick but i can't really tied it to it. If it;s not tied then the tooth pick is for no good.
dmdm View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote dmdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2005 at 23:18
as long as it leans on it should be okay, failing that get 2-3 straws and sort of trap it in.

there is a away of making stem stronger by pinching the stem(soft tissue)

but i dont do this and would need someone else to help.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 15:07

You should definitely expose your seedlings to a gentle breeze from a household fan (on the lowest setting). This will cause constant, gentle movement, which will quickly make the stems stronger.

Seedlings fall over like this when they are germinated in an environment with static air. In nature, the seedlings will experience a breeze from the first moment they emerge from the soil. With constant gentle movement, the stem strengthens like an exercising muscle.

If you want to attach your seedlings to a stick or toothpick while they are being exposed to the fan, you can use a 'twist-tie'. These are the strips of wire enclosed in plastic, that are used to tie garbage bags and to bind coiled power-cords in new electrical equipment.

Get a twist tie and wrap one piece several times around the stick. You should be left with a few centimetres of plastic-coated wire protruding from the stick at 90 degrees. You can bend this piece of the twist-tie into a hook. Now you can stand the stick in the growing medium your seedling can rest against the hook until it can support itself.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Dazed&Confused View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Dazed&Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 07:23
I had a sijmiliar problem with seedlings about an inch to two inches high. The main stems got REALLY thin. Like a hair. And just as weak. They would lay over the sides of the pots completely limp.

I asked a lady at a local nursary about this and she said that it sounded like something that happened with the seed producer / farmer. She said it sounded like some kind of bacteria or genetic defect. I'm not so sure as I had this happen with two packs of Bubblelicious seeds bought months apart, and now it looks like it may  be on my next batch of seeds, Northern Haze19 x Skunk. Anyway, don't know what it is. The first two times I used Jiffy Pellets transplanted into Jiffy Pots. This time I germed in damp paper towels ( the way I always have ). Germed fine. I transplanted them. Three didn't come up through the soil,and now it looks like the main stem on 3 of them is shrinking. Down to five plants from ten. Getting REALLY skinny.  I feed with plain water or weak seaweed fert solution. They dry out daily or sooner. I water them every morning. How close should light be to seedlings. Dont want to fry them and dont want them stretched out.
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2007 at 14:58
Hello,

you should provide enough short-wave ("blue", "coolwhite", "daylight") radiation since it feeds the phototropism of the plant.

Uli
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 14:14
Originally posted by Dazed&Confused

The main stems got REALLY thin. Like a hair. And just as weak. They would lay over the sides of the pots completely limp
...now it looks like the main stem on 3 of them is shrinking. Down to five plants from ten. Getting REALLY skinny.... How close should light be to seedlings. Dont want to fry them and dont want them stretched out.

Do your seedlings receive plenty of moving air?

If not, this is why they're falling over.

It's not a problem with the seeds - young plants are supposed to gain height rapidly.

The problem lies in the plants not receiving all the elements of natural growth - light, water, nutrient and moving air
Dazed&Confused View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote Dazed&Confused Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 15:50
PLENTY of moving air. Had an oscillating circulation fan inside. Any stronger and they would've had NO chance of standing up.
Even though never did..
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2007 at 16:40
I've never seen that.

Was the breeze strong enough that you could see the movement in the plants?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>