Cannabis Forum > Hempflax > General
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sandy Loam Soil Good for Growing Hemp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mutatron View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote mutatron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sandy Loam Soil Good for Growing Hemp?
    Posted: 29 June 2005 at 20:28
I don't know much about farming, my grandad used to farm, but now the family land in Texas is just planted with hay to keep the property tax low. I believe the soil type is what you call sandy loam.

My question is, is it possible to grow a good industrial hemp crop on this kind of soil without a great deal of application of fertilizer? Is there somewhere to find esitmated costs and profits per acre?

A Texas Representative, Ron Paul, has introduced a bill in the US Congress to relegalize industrial hemp. If it's as easy to grow as hay, I figure it would be a real boon to the economy, since a lot of the hay grown now goes to waste because it's just grown for tax purposes.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 18:40

Hemp is well-known for its kindness to the land and the fact that it does not need chemical fertilser.

That said, hemp does need a lot of nutrient to grow effectively, particularly a lot of nitrogen in the vegetative stage. Hemp can happily extract this nutrient from 100% organic sources, such as manure.

Also, this nutrient can be easily returned to the soil after harvest, as industrial hemp is mostly cultivated for its fibre and seed. The leftover foliage makes highly nutritious compost.

Hemp need not deplete good soil if farmed effectively. Better still, it can greatly improve the quality of less-desirable land by using up excess water, by removing potentially harmful build-ups of nitrogen and by aerating soil with its deep root system.

I don't know the qualities of sandy loam, whether it's high in one mineral or another.

Hempflax.com might be a good source of infromation about specifics of hemp farming, as well as the International Hemp Association (NL), which publishes the Journal of Industrial Hemp. iha@euronet.nl

In the US, there's the Hemp Industries Association info@thehia.org and hempindustries.org

The IHA and HIA should be able to provide hard agronomical numbers about farming costs and profits, though you may have to become a member for full access to their library.

Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply