Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hydroponic Starter (Noob)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ruffyen View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ruffyen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydroponic Starter (Noob)
    Posted: 19 May 2009 at 20:22
Ok I have been doing a little research and it would seem that a hydroponic system would be of great value to me. Mainly for the automated structure(i can go on vacation lol). I have looked at two types of systems

My question is this. These tutorials state watering 2x a day for short periods(like 1 min per water). I know from previous readings that you should wait until soil is mostly dry before watering again to avoid over-watering and causing root rot. I guess my full question would be is 2x a day too much.

Also when starting from seed should I start out in soil and transfer the seedling when it gets a few sets of true leaves, or should i start in rock wool and just transfer the plant (rock wool and all) into a perlite vermiculite mixture (50/50). It is my understanding that if you start in rock wool you transfer everything to the p/v mixture. Would i remove the plant from the rock wool or will the roots extend past the rock wool. I have never even seen rock wool but was curious as there are no hydroponic stores near me so I am forced to purchase this stuff online.

Thanks in advance
ruffyen
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 10:47
The rockwool should become completely full of roots (if the system is functioning well), so it is not removed, just transferred to the next medium.

Hydro systems are different from soil, they usually drain better and hold much less water and much more air, so they can be watered much more frequently. Also, if the watering system is a drip, spray or mister, the falling water brings air with with it into the medium, so the chance of drowning is reduced. There are systems which constantly pour water over the roots of plants, but since the moving water stays oxygenated it does not damage roots (see also: aeroponics).
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 11:28
Just my opinion on this, but as a new grower, if you're set on going hydro, i'd suggest coco. It's not exactly the dictionary definition nof hydroponics, but you are still having to provide the plant with all the food it needs etc, as you do in water hydro setups or rockwool, but it's very easy. I have read the ph of rockwool is not very stable and has a tendancy to rise. For a new grower, this might cause problems you are unable to fix.

With coco, it's so dam easy. It's like soil in that your plant is in a pot of medium, that looks a bit like soil too. But as Ganja said, it holds much less water and more air, so is a perfect medium for a drip system, as it won't stay water-logged. Alot of growers rekon coco is the best medium for drip feeding.

Also, if you buy good quality coco, like canna coco, you don't need to worry about ph going all funny, and using canna coco a+b it's allmost too simple once you get the hang of what to do.

A run to waste drip system would be best, but an autopot system also looks allright. Allthough that feeds from the bottom, so no drip feeding. And you'd need to give it a flush from the top i guess every week or two to prevent salt build up.

I have my eye on a drip system. Would prefer run to waste, but hate the thought of tweo ruddy big tanks taking up space in my budbox. I am waiting to find someone growing on coco using an autopot. Havn't found anyone yet. If i can, and it looks like it works, i might buy a 1 pot system. Good thing about them also, is you can buy a 1 pot system, and then buy another pot to fit on if ya like it.

Still, i rekon a few soil grows under your belt would stand you in much better stead before jumping into hydro or coco. All seems so easy once you know what you're doing anyway.
Green-Thumb Growing
sorethumbs View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote sorethumbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 12:06
I'm using the auto pot system for the first time growing Nirvana Northern Lights.
75 Perlite 25 Coco with canna coco A+b and PK 13/14. When I get back from work I'll take some pics and go into greater detail.

Later
ciao
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
Solidopc View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Solidopc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 12:16
Interesting. Look forward to seeing what you are getting from the autopots. Allthough that seems quite a heavy perlite mix for me. I would probably use my h&g aqua flakes if i was using more perlite than coco like that.
Green-Thumb Growing
ruffyen View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote ruffyen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 18:29
Originally posted by Solidopc

Just my opinion on this, but as a new grower, if you're set on going hydro, i'd suggest coco. It's not exactly the dictionary definition nof hydroponics, but you are still having to provide the plant with all the food it needs etc, as you do in water hydro setups or rockwool, but it's very easy. I have read the ph of rockwool is not very stable and has a tendancy to rise. For a new grower, this might cause problems you are unable to fix.

Solidpc,

I am not exactly set on hydro as of yet but the concept thrills me :). If I do hydro I am probably going to go with coco, but I have thought of experimenting with perlite and vermiculite (50/50) as well. Might try a few plants in each next grow-round.

From a specifically hydro point of view, the size of the container should not be as big of an issue should it? I am thinking of re purposing some Coke bottles (3lt Resevoir and 1lt-2lt containers filled with medium) in an ebb and flow style setup. From what I understand hydro plants dont require the extensive rooting system that soil plants do allowing the plants to have a smaller root structure. A smaller root structure would allow me to have smaller containers.

Any foresight on this matter is greatly appreciated as usual :)

ruffyen
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 07:41
Can I use only coco fiber wool as my substract in hydroponic systems ?
thatguy View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote thatguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2009 at 10:36
yoka86
i think you can use any medium in your hydro system but , clay pebbles, rock wool or coco would be the most populer and best choice for your system
yoka86 View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote yoka86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 21:26
thatguy,

my doubt is about my coco block because it is to hard and I am still waiting to plunge in the water to see if it gets softer. I want to know if is possible to the roots grow in this medium being hard as my coco block is.
do you have any tips to seedling stage ?

I appreciate your attention,
Grasso View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Grasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 23:54
Hi,

yes, it did not really expand as was written on the package so I had to grind that mean stuff with my own bare hands. Coco is not better suited for plant growing than soil and Rockwool is but it suits the economy better as it is based on a cheap third-world resource and heavily processed and shipped using fossile fuels.

Peat (turf) as digged around the North and Baltic Sea is fossile, too, but proven for a long time (dutch greenhouses) and buffers hard water. You do not have to mix in Perlite but just start with small pots and then re-pot regularily. Canna Vega contains all necessary nutrients (except for Calcium which should be in the tap water), one bottle is all you need. It should be dosed in the same (several times lesser than advised by the manufacturer) amount from start to finish.

Vacation and indoor growing do not mix. With hydro-electrical help (timer, pump/valve and dripper) or dimmed lighting one week absence is allowed but beyond that you need human supervision. And if you are not back after a month then why did you start growing at all?

Greetings,
Uli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>