Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Myths
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Blue spectrum during flowering.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Schwarzenegger View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Schwarzenegger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue spectrum during flowering.
    Posted: 10 July 2013 at 19:34
blue light is the best for quality of smoke FOR IT TRIGGERS RESIN PRODUCTION
red light is interesting if you want to keep the leaf versus bud ratio low.

a combination of both would actually be the best..

in your situation stick to what you got :  it is suitable to grow bud right now , and that's what matters right now.
Blue light allows very compact plants( tight internodal distance). This on itself is practical with many strains.
"New shit has come to light, man" -the big Lebowski
martiniGR View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote martiniGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 20:16
more blue gives more weight but % not more buds, plants grow more with the blue, for example under leds with not much blue gives less weight.
imo, the quality is not better with more blue but less..just my experience..
more weight is more money
Some say friends do not exist, we cant make words for things that do not exist...
Willie van het Kerkhof, Groningen NL
sanguenuzoi View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote sanguenuzoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 04:39
Originally posted by Ganja

The real question is whether it will produce enough of an improvement to justify the extra cost and work. In a small grow-room, with fewer than 6 HID lamps, the answer is probably 'no' ... unless using fluoros, in which case it's probably 'yes'.

thank u i was mindmelting on this light spectrum addup idea but u answered me with this ganja :D thank u a lot

i have a small growing space , even bein quite tall(2m) it have very short base 45m x 55cm and i was thinkin about adding one small(70W~100w) HPS light and another little bigger(150w) MH but ive realized my space is just to narrow ... ill try one 250W hps phillips son-t plus (33000 lumens) with a 100mm cooltube connected to duct attached to decent cooler an ionizer ,so on and couple cfls around it , that should fit my space better than the heat and thing$ nedded for another high output lamp :D
when the lion is sleeping... never u try to wake im
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 14:51
Nevi, the thing I described with fluorescent tubes halfway up the wall of a grow-room wouldn't really work with HPS, as they'd be too hot and would damage the plants.
Also, the fact that a 120cm fluoro fitting (with tube) costs about 10-15 euro makes this a cheap way to increase resin production on lower parts of the plants.

As I said, I'm not really of the opinion that it's the blue/white light emitted by most fluoros that improves the resin. The fact  the tubes give out bright light and can be very close to the buds is the main source of the improvement.

However, since you mention genetics, it's important to remember that the cannabis plant evolved growing in sunlight - which has the full spectrum of visible light, rather than just part of it, as with MH and HPS.

Since the genetic potential of cannabis is based on the fact that the species has been exposed to natural sunlight for 99.99% of its history, it's not unreasonable to think that giving indoor plants as close to a full spectrum as possible will help them reach their full genetic potential.

Many large scale grows (many of which which produce amazing weed) use a ratio of one MH lamp for every two to four HPS lamps used in the flowering stage. Commercial greenhouses (which grow plants other than cannabis) often use this kind of ratio too.

Then there's the Philips SON-T-AGRO bulb (probably the best 400w HPS) which has been engineered to produce a fair amount of blue-white light along with the red-orange light HPS are famous for. This is an extremely popular bulb for all sorts of growing, including cannabis. I doubt Philips would bother making it if there was no advantage to adding blue-spectrum light to the red-orange that is normallly used in the flowering stage.

I agree that excellent weed can be achieved with just HPS in the flowering stage, but dismissing blue/white light as being of no help in the flowering stage is not correct.

The real question is whether it will produce enough of an improvement to justify the extra cost and work. In a small grow-room, with fewer than 6 HID lamps, the answer is probably 'no' ... unless using fluoros, in which case it's probably 'yes'.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
breizh ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote breizh ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 14:08
agree!its hard to have a really objectiv opinion;cause there no scientist experience of that we cant discuss the facts ,the condition,and others scientistic....facts(sorry) too deliver a rule.
so lets make,all,this sort of experience ;for having a way.... peace
Rémi Gaillard...take a look !
Nevi View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Nevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 11:12
Hi Ganja man...
What I mean is,that some say if they use MH all the way thru their grow,they will get more resin,or others that say if they use a CFL with blue light together with their HPS,it will give more resin as well.But I mean it is a myth.I mean its the genetics that determind how much resin will come on the plant.As long it get sufficient light throughout the whole period so the genes can unfold themself.
I admit I think it has alot to say to use more blue light when the plants are seedlings or small generally.No doubt,they get more compact and have a better growth pattern until they get bigger.I use PLL tubes and MH from they are small(seedlings and clones) and 14 days into the flowering,and then a HPS for the reminder of the period.
Are you sure the blue light you used to the lower branches couldnt have been swapped with a HPS and give same (maybe better result) because of the increased lumens of the HPS?
But most important is,that people use what they think work for them.And in the end when we have the finish product,we can be happy we have grown this super smoke ourself,and not supported some terroists or other gangsters.%3c3coving%3c20it
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:57
Not sure what you mean by this. Of course, good lighting (and good conditions in general) allow a plant to reach its full genetic potential. A lack of good light will prevent a plant from doing so.

If you mean that it's a myth that an increase in blue light during flowering leads to an increase in resin ... I'm not sure one way or another. There seems to be something in the idea, but I'm not sure it's purely a matter of the light's colour spectrum.

I've noticed that having fluoro tubes running around the sides of the grow-ares in the flowering phase (in addition to HPS overhead) does increase resin significantly on the lower branches.

I think this is more to do with the fact that these areas usually get less light when the lamps above are the only light source, and also because fluoro tubes can be very close to plants without buring them, so the buds right by the tubes get good intense light.

Not sure if colour spectrum has a big influence, but bright, close light does improve resin.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Nevi View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Nevi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2010 at 14:19
Its a myth that the light has anything to do with trichome production.The only thing that decide how much resin will come on the flowers,is the GENETICS.
I have tried,and there is nothing to gain.
I start my seedlings under PLL tubes,and continue with MH when they have a few set of leaves.Then I continue using MH until 14 days into the flowering,and then its GIB exstreme for the rest of the flowering.This is only to reduce some of the stretching especially Sativas do.%3coving%20it

breizh ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote breizh ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 22:14
thank for the link! good infos. i will use my 250w mh in "dark room" for plants mothers and growing. i will use ,next, 2 hps 600w with a 400w mh for flowering in my biggest room. total: near 2000w (with fan,extract air,etc..) its correct i think.
best wisches from gaul!
Rémi Gaillard...take a look !
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2010 at 21:44
What you said is basicly correct. I expect you could get by fine with 400mh 600hps for the entire grow tbh.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>