Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pure Skunk#1 1989 & Preservation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whodair View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote whodair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2009 at 18:50
sensi product description of skunk#1 hasnt changed.  but what comes out of the pack sure has.  the old sk1 wasnt so sweet.  im not sure how the product ends up drifting fro the original, but if you smoke sk1 from the seedbank in the 80s youd know.  the 80s sk1 is closer to todays diesel varieties.  very stinky skunk smell, hash taste, and extremely potent.
Originally posted by Ganja

I saw your email, and we were a bit mystified by it. That might be why the staff member who answered you didn't give much info.

Skunk #1 hasn't changed over the years, and isn't a rare strain. Sensi has been selling Skunk #1 seeds since the mid-Eighties and the original genetics came from the creator of the strain.

Not sure if you are using 'Pure' to denote that the strain you're talking about is different from 'standard' Skunk #1

From your description, the plant you have sounds atypical of Skunk #1, especially the mention of 'very Sativa'. Does this plant gain a lot of height in flowering? Does it have a relatively long flowering period?

Also, you mention that you had several seeds - did all the females turn out like the one you're now preserving, or was she an unusual, stand-out individual?

As far as preservation goes, she should have many more years left in her if well taken care of. 5 years isn't particularly old for a plant being kept alive through cloning. As long as she's not killed by accident, she'll be able to give viable clones and make healthy seeds for at least another 5 years.

If you want real Skunk #1, get the regular Sensi version or possibly Flying Dutchmen's The Pure.

However if this is a stand-out, elite individual, you are probably not going to be able to find a father plant that will pollinate her and produce offspring that have all the same qualities as the mother.
mike View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 05:00
no ofence ganja but I've seen you say on these forums that breeding a skunk1 male with a skunk1 female will make skunk1 yes that true but it is also false at the same time yes it can be a more stable offspring with the skunk#1 name but it has changed over the years to people who see it daily or smoke it daily the change has been gradual but to people who have evan not done it in a few years the difference is more changed

think of it like this you watch your plants daily several times a day if your like me they hardly seem to grow then you leave for a few days come back and they seem to have shot up or packed on alot more weight what ever it aint that they grew more while away it is while watching them all the time you were use to seeing small changes all the time

i myself have noticed new pic for some of the old strains and if needed can if i get a copier post some pic of sensi's first or second catalog back in the 80's back when the first owner formed sensi skunk#1 is one of the pics that has changed over the years as is super skunk and northern lights some of the buds in the way they were shaped in old pictures has changed thus making me conclude that a new pic was taken from a totaly differant plant hopefully still a what ever strain the pic is now for. i myself have noticed differences in the plants from buying from different people Evan though there in the same looking breeder packs each being the same other then some numbers useuly wrote on them probably from the resaler to keep track of innovatory but same breeder pack none the less    

i myself would like to see a rebuild the old skunk#1 by buying everybody's version of skunk#1 and reitrodusing traits that others have breed out either by mistake or becuase they didn't like them for sensi this should be a very easy thing to do in a few breedings yes the end product could be worse but it could be better also sensi why not contact the guy the strain was gottan from since it was his breeding and see if possably he has still got the origanal clone mother your guys seeds were gottan from thats what i do when i want it back like it was with cali being a med state now i'm sure you guys could probaly evan be able to get a clone sent i know i've heard rumors that the true skunk#1 from the breeder still gets around from time to time heck maybe evan the first owner of sensi can put you guys in touch with the creator of skunk#1 maybe he evan has some seeds left over from what he used to create skunk#1

all of this wasn't wrighten to make you or sensi mad it just my thought of how to improve on your guys work yes you guys do a great job at preserving the races but some of them have changed over the years. this is coming from repeat buyers thats bought from you guys since you opened your doors when apon buying new stock to take clones from just giving you guys some feed back some of the changes are liked some aint but that goes apon personal preferences i myself like the changes in skunk#1 as i love the fruitier smelling strains everybody i know though when i open my bag of skunk#1 says it smells like a skunk but they say that about anything I've grown Evan blueberry, bubblegum, or evan northern lights but to me they all smell fruity Evan superskunk pick the stinkiest strain you guys got i've grown it at some point and to me it smells more fruity then stinky

just a response for some thought
help my plant's fell over and can't stand up
mike View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 06:20
Originally posted by whodair

sensi product description of skunk#1 hasnt changed.  but what comes out of the pack sure has.  the old sk1 wasnt so sweet.  im not sure how the product ends up drifting fro the original, but if you smoke sk1 from the seedbank in the 80s youd know.  the 80s sk1 is closer to todays diesel varieties.  very stinky skunk smell, hash taste, and extremely potent.
Originally posted by Ganja

I saw your email, and we were a bit mystified by it. That might be why the staff member who answered you didn't give much info.

Skunk #1 hasn't changed over the years, and isn't a rare strain. Sensi has been selling Skunk #1 seeds since the mid-Eighties and the original genetics came from the creator of the strain.

Not sure if you are using 'Pure' to denote that the strain you're talking about is different from 'standard' Skunk #1

From your description, the plant you have sounds atypical of Skunk #1, especially the mention of 'very Sativa'. Does this plant gain a lot of height in flowering? Does it have a relatively long flowering period?

Also, you mention that you had several seeds - did all the females turn out like the one you're now preserving, or was she an unusual, stand-out individual?

As far as preservation goes, she should have many more years left in her if well taken care of. 5 years isn't particularly old for a plant being kept alive through cloning. As long as she's not killed by accident, she'll be able to give viable clones and make healthy seeds for at least another 5 years.

If you want real Skunk #1, get the regular Sensi version or possibly Flying Dutchmen's The Pure.

However if this is a stand-out, elite individual, you are probably not going to be able to find a father plant that will pollinate her and produce offspring that have all the same qualities as the mother.

i've growing diesel right now in my clone and flower room and mine don't stink like a skunk kind of a critrus berry smell to me
help my plant's fell over and can't stand up
bartmanuk View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote bartmanuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2009 at 10:05
i remember smoking sativa dominent skunks from the US in the late 80's, and it was very different to the sensi skunk#1 i smoked at the beginning of the 90's, but the sensi stuff from the early 90's is definatly the same as the skunk#1 im growing now.
the 1st time i grew out this s#1, the 1st thing i said about it, was it reminded me of the skunks from the Dam in the early 90's.
one thing i will add, is the skunks i tried from the US back then were NEVER passed to me as skunk#1, always called just skunk. i never heard of a skunk strain being numbered until came out of the seed bank/sensi.

BM %3ceed%20leaf
I grow weed for my own use and feel no guilt over it.If you want to arrest me,fine,thats your job.My aim is to put real criminals out of business by refusing to pay into the illegal distribution scene
Gnomes View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Gnomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 15:06
HEY!  sorry for the delay on updating this shit,, but here is the Skunk#1 1989 Sativa Pheno at day 48, very high flower to leaf ratio, her buds are more dense then most pure indicas, but she has a totally Sativa frame with tons of branching, she smells of Sweet Menthol with a hint of light skunk.  She wont win any awards for her yeild, but her potency is amazing and more indica dominant in effects.  She can also leave you tripping if you toke a little to much.  By far one of the best plants ever in my garden, one of a kind unique.  At harvest day 65-70, the buds become lime green with golden resin. 

So far, I collected some SKUNK#1 from Shantibaba from a very old seed stock he had that I might find a match but so far out of 35 beans none germed I have 25 seeds left, going to test the last 25 next wish me LUCK!%3c3c3c3clunt

I also am doing a comparison grow between HGF Skunk#1 and TFD THE PURE.  At day 26 from seed you can tell already that the HGF and TFD versions of SKUNK#1 are very diffferent.   The HGF Sk#1 is much more dark green indica dominant with not much branching, where TFD The PURE is more a 50/50 hydrid lighter green looking and branching everywhere.  Maybe HGF focused on the Indica side and TFD the more even hybrid side??  Time will tell how the perform, oh yes the TFD is also starting so show very small preflowers, unknown sex as of yet, but looks to be a few males.  I will be planting more of these as well, to find the best pure SKUNK#1 male to cross to my Skunk#1 1989 Sativa pheno mother.  I will update when I try to germ the old Shanti beans, again.  Wish me luck on finding a good pollenator.

??Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should cross the Skunk#1 1989 to??
So far I will make
SK#1 89 x Deep Chunk
Sk#1 89 x NL#5 old BCSC cut.
SK#1 89 x Leda Uno Giant pheno.
%3c3coving%3c20it

Gnomes.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 16:15
Your 1989 plant looks beautiful, but going by this picture and your previous descriptions, I'd have to say this is an atypical look, scent and flowering time for Skunk #1.

If it did originally come from Skunk #1 gene-stock, then it's an example of a 'stand-out, elite individual', as mentioned in my first response. Cheese is, reportedly, the same deal.

Good luck in finding a suitable pollen donor. I'll be interested to hear of your results.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Gnomes View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Gnomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2010 at 17:51
yes that is what she is, Old Skunk#1 Seeds where grown out in BC by a guy named SOCK.  He found the mother of this plant and inbred to stablized it for a few generations, exact number I dont know,, these seeds we made in 1989 I got 2 phenos to show up but this is the best one and they didnt varry that much, the other one was more indica and faster.  This one looks exactly how he discribed the mother that he found so long ago in the Skunk#1 he had.  This is the only plant I have now, I never did get any males out of the few seeds i was gifted.  DAMN!

I do believe this plant is very good for breeding just for some reason I have never do it,, basically I never had a worth male.  But now I got to make all the crosses possible to it before I loss it.  So suggestions are welcome, and yes I will be Selfing it soon, if it lets me.

Gnomes
Gnomes View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Gnomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 03:43

Just an update, Skunk#1 1989 Harvest Day 72, flowers dry to very dense chunks of pure flowers almost leafless.  Sweet Musky smell and taste.

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 09:53
Can you share a pic or two?
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Gnomes View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Gnomes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 21:53
I wish i could, what is the best way to post pics Ganja?  I hate having to load them on another site and link them to here, is there a way i can upload pics to this forum?

thanks Gnomes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>