Cannabis Forum > Hash Marihuana & Hemp Museum > Hashish
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DIY hash-maker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY hash-maker
    Posted: 07 October 2009 at 18:42
The simplest form of hash-making is to dry the resin-rich material, freeze it overnight or for a few hours, then shake it or rub it (very gently) over a fine screen - such as nylon silk-screen material. The yellow/beige/brown powder that falls through the screen is resin powder, or raw hash.

If you get green material coming through the screen, you're rubbing too hard.

One simple hash-maker:

• 3 x identical buckets which fit very snugly inside one another and have a snap-on lid. Straight walls are better than angled. There should be a gap of 5-10cm between the bottom of the buckets when they’re inside each other

• 1 x lid to fit top bucket

• 50cm square - 1m sq. nylon screen, with holes about 150-200 micron across (silk screen material in art stores should specify the size of the holes)

•    Place one bucket inside another, select a spot about 3mm above the bottom of the inner bucket and use a sharp instrument to make a hole through the side of both buckets.

•    Repeat 8-16 times, with even spacing

•    You’ll now have a row of holes around the side of the outer bucket. Join them up with a pen, if this makes it easier to cut.

•    Use a sharp blade or a saw to cut around this line, making sure to cut though both buckets

•    You’ll now have a wide, double-walled tube that’s open at both ends.

•    Cut a square of screen material that’s at least 5cm wider than the diameter of the
buckets on all sides

•    Remove the inner bucket and spread the screen evenly across the newly-opened end, keeping it as tight as possible

•    It’s possible to use (thin!) glue to hold the screen in place, but it’s not really necessary. Tape and elastic are to be avoided as they interfere with the buckets fitting together.

•    Keeping the screen in place, fit the outer bucket over the inner one, making sure that the screen doesn’t move or warp. Ideally, this should require some force, as the buckets should fit so snugly that even some nylon screen makes it harder to get one over the other. This tight fit usually makes glue unnecessary.

•    You should now have a wide, double-walled cylinder that’s open at one end and screened at the other. This is your basic hash-maker.

•    Get the weed from the freezer and place it in the hash-maker. Snap the lid on and place the whole arrangement into the bucket #3.

•    Now shake! The yellow/beige/brown powder that falls through is resin glands – raw hash!

•    Vibration is better than shaking, as it frees the resin and is less likely to pulverise the weed to a point that it can fall through the screen. Green colour in resin powder indicates contamination (not the dangerous kind, but plant matter does reduce the potency of hash).

•    You can attach some kind of … vibrating object(s) to the lid or side of the hash-maker (an electric toothbrush is fine – rechargeable and does not require a trip to a sex-shop), or place the three buckets on top of a washing machine during its spin cycle. If the hash-maker contains a lot of weed, adventurous types might consider an orbital sander attached to the lid or side (sans sandpaper, of course).

•    The first 1-5 minutes of shaking/vibrating almost always produces the best hash – the most mature resin glands with the least green powder. After the first period of shaking, remove the hash-maker and collect the resin that has accumulated in the bottom of bucket #3.

•    Set this first collection aside in a bag or the cellophane from a cigarette packet; leave the top open in case powder needs to dry. Freezer condensation can make it a little damp.

•    Repeat shaking/vibrating (usually for progressively longer periods) until the powder in bucket #3 is too green to be worth collecting (this is a subjective measurement). Keep different collections of resin in separate bags if you want an idea of how qulity/potecy declines with successive shakings/more green

•    Chilling the hash-maker (or the weed inside) between shakings is a good idea.

•    After hash-making, the shaken weed can still be used for cooking!
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 03:39
Hey Ganja great post,ill be tryin it for sure.
If i made 2 hash makers what size screens would give me the best raw hash.
Ive read about 73u and 43u screens i think,but havnt a clue what they are,is the 150-200 micron screen you mention the same thing?
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 03:45
What im thinking is putting the frozen material thru one maker and getting the premium resin heads,freezing it again and putting it thru the other maker for the next best heads.
Will this work??or am i talking shite??%3co%20high

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2010 at 15:57
It could work this way, but if you're doing multi-screen separation, you could do both qualities at once. You'll need two buckets per screen, but if they're all of the same type, they can fit inside each other and resin that's too small for one screen will get caught by the next.

40u is an abbreviation for 40 micron

One possible obstacle is how many grades of nylon mesh you can easily find. Art supply stores should have a few grades, but I'm not sure they'll have mesh as small as 25u, 45u or even 73u (which is the mesh that catches the best resin, IMHO).

A six-bag Bubblebag has a:
220u screen for catching the plant matter.
190u which collects mostly green trashy bits, with a little resin mixed in
160u which catches large resin glands and some small bits of pulverised weed
120u which is the first screen with good hash and very little plant matter
73u which is the cream of the crop - mature resin glands and very little else
45u which ctaches immature resin glands as well as dust and other tiny particles
25u which catches mostly dust with very little resin (maybe mostly stalks of resin glands) - in recent extractions, I've stopped bothering with the 25u, as it takes so long to drain and doesn't catch much that's worth smoking.

basically, if you can find a 200u screen to catch plant matter, a screen of 150-190 to catch lower quality stuff, and a 73u screen tocatch the best bits, you can stretch them across double buckets, as detailed above, and you actually have a good setup for making water hash.

if you go to the trouble of finding the different screens and attaching them to buckets, you might as well use the water process, as you don't need much other equipment and it makes much purer hash than dry-sieving.
Auto-Question-Bot View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Auto-Question-Bot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 00:02
thats alot to take in ill save that for a rainy day ganja really helpfull still
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 01:55
Hey Ganja i havnt been ignoring this thread,ive been looking for silk screens but to no avail.

Found these bags on e-bay,they are very cheap,so cheap im suspicious!What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BUBBLE-ICE-BAGS-5-GALLON-5-BAGS-MANUFACTURERS-GUARANTEE-/320593324133?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item4aa4d9e865
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 10:47
Not sure, really. They are comparatively cheap, but this shouldn't mean there's anything wrong with them. The seller seems to have a top rating.

The micron sizes seem about right. The 20u screen will probably take a long time to drain, but is probably worth using as it will catch everything smaller than 75u.

All I can think of is that these bags might not last as long as the more expensive versions (stitching material, etc), but at that price they're replaceable. Also, they may be very well made and last a long time.

After all, these are really just bags with a mesh bottom, so charging hundreds of euros for a set is a bit over the top. I think a lot of new users just forget about the price after they make their first run of water hash.

All in all, these bags look like a good deal.
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 12:05
Cheers Ganja i think ill give them a go,at least for the short term until i manage to sort out some screens and make the bucket one you posted.Ill post here when i recive them,let people know how i get on.

One more question,as you may know i have spidermites in my flower room,when harvesting i cut off the leaves,bag 'em and burn 'em.
Its going to kill me to throw away those lovely resin covered leaves from the hashplants, shit man the taughts of it!
Is there any alternative or will i just cut my losses till i rid the room of mites?

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 12:53
Save the leaves in an airtight container, and maybe put the container in the freezer.

The lack of air and light will kill the mites and their eggs (as will the freezer), and you can still use the leaves for making hash.
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2010 at 13:11
Nice one ganja i never taught of that thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>