Cannabis Forum > Hempflax > Environment
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

is hemp USO-31 seeds a transgenic crop ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
italJay View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote italJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is hemp USO-31 seeds a transgenic crop ?
    Posted: 15 November 2009 at 11:13
Hello there everyone! %3c3c3cig%3c3c3c

I'm new to hemp growing... but i grow marijuana for some years now, both indoor and outdoor...
anyway recently I bought the hemp flax 100g USO-31 seeds package, and i would like to know if possible, is these hemp seeds a transgenic crop ? i mean are they safe to grow outdoors on my garden? because i allready have normal marijuana plants growing there...

also can these uso-31 hemp crops put in danger in near future the wild marijuana high thc strains ? in terms of future worldwide industrial hemp global growing ? because of the danger on growing transgenic crops in the wild

Thanks in advance! ital Jay

Edited by italJay - 15 November 2009 at 11:23
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 11:39
I seriously doubt that Sensi is selling any transgenic seed, but I can't say for certain. With regard to your second question, so long as you remove male plants from the garden, there should be no problem growing them amongst drug strain cannabis plants.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
italJay View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote italJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 09:28
Thanks for the info ;)
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 12:06
No cannabis seed sold by Sensi or HempFlax (or White Label or Flying Dutchmen) is genetically modified.

As far as I know, there are no GM cannabis seeds available from any source. Monsanto and other biotech companies may be working on them, but I have not heard of any such strains.

In fact, cannabis is so adaptable, vigorous and genetically diverse, genetic modification might actually be unnecessary. Almost any aim can be achieved through selective breeding.

It might even turn out that cannabis traits are engineered into other plant species in the future to make them more productive for agriculture.

Large-scale industrial hemp growing would be likely be a problem for any high-THC outdoor crops grown nearby. Not because of rogue GM organisms interbreeding with 'natural' strains, but because millions of grains of hemp pollen in the air would seed the psychoactive crops, reducing their weight and mixing their genes with non-THC cannabis in the seeds that would be produced.

Still, this reality hasn't affected the survival and improvement of cannabis up until now, so it won't be a problem for the species. Maybe for individual outdoor growers who happen to be near hemp plantations...

Finally, there are few if any high-THC strains of wild cannabis. All the traditional potent strains popular with smokers - Afghani, Thai, Indian, Jamiacan, Columbian, etc are cultivars - selectively bred in their region for generations. Cannabis cultivars that return to the wild and stop being selectively bred almost always lose their potency.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
cula View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote cula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 03:56
[QUOTE=sarah louise]I seriously doubt that Sensi is selling any transgenic seed, but I can't say for certain. With regard to your second question, so long as you remove male plants from the garden, there should be no problem growing them amongst drug strain cannabis plants

I think Uso  31 is monoiecious-male and female parts on the same plant.
 Post Reply Post Reply