Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Germination, Seedlings & Vegetative Growth
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Are my seeds too old?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Muffin View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Muffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are my seeds too old?
    Posted: 09 August 2005 at 15:23

Hey everybody, I'm Si and I'm new here! Hello!

I have a quick question that I'd be grateful for your input on. I'm germinating some Sensi Shiva Skunk seeds that I've had for about 3 or 4 years now. They've been kept in the dark all that time in a relatively cool place. I'm germinating in a heated propagator in rockwool. So far its been a week and I have one very healthy shoot, but eight non starters. Could it be that my seeds are too old or do i just need more patience?

Like I say your input would be appreciated!  Thank You!!

Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2005 at 16:14

We advise that seeds should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place (as you mention). In these conditions, we give seeds a shelf life of two years.

After this two year period, it should not be assumed that seeds are automatically dead, but germination and viability will be in decline.

Most healthy seeds will germinate within the first week, though it's possible for them to take up to two weeks. After about 14 days, it can probably be assumed that any non-germinated seeds are not going to open.

Personally, I would still examine each one at this stage. If they're still close to their original colour and feel firm when squeezed between the fingers, they may still come up. If they've gone dark, smell strange, have water beading on their surface, or squash easily between your fingers, they're probably dead.

The heated propagator may be unnecessary and, depending on the temperature it maintains, may interfere with germination. At this time of year, it's easy to keep your germinating seeds at room-temperature. A propagator is more useful for maintaining a humid environment for seedlings and clones.

Also, you'll usually receive better results if you germinate your seeds prior to sowing them in rockwool. Sensi Seeds advises that pre-germination be done with moist tissue, held between two plates (see here: http://www.sensiseeds.com/ml/shop.asp?MainLev=9&nfoID=14). We also strongly advise against any method that suggests submerging seeds in water for any lenth of time. Moist tissue can supply seeds with all the water they need to begin germination.

Another advantage of pre-germinating is that you will only be sowing seeds once you're certain they've begun to grow. When sowing ungerminated seeds, you'll only be sure of this once a seedling emerges from the medium.

Do you have any leftover seeds from this pack (other than the nine your mention)? Or were these nine left over from a previous grow?

If you have another six or seven seeds, and if they also perform poorly when started with the tissue-and-plates method, then it's likely that they are indeed too old.

Edited by Ganja
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2005 at 14:59

Apart from strongly recommending against submerging seeds underwater (this can damage or kill seeds - emerging roots need oxygen to survive), Sensi Seeds strongly recommends against using any sort of fertiliser when germinating seeds.

Once seedlings are growing, you can give very dilute concentrations of nutrient if they're on a neutral medium like rockwool (it's usually unnecessary if starting in soil).

Viable seeds contain all the nutrient necessary to germinate and make the transition to seedlings.

Adding extra fertiliser won't help viable seeds to germinate  - they'll do it under their own power if they're capable - but fertiliser can damage germinated seeds while in their 'pre-seedling' stage.

Some fertilisers might include directions on how to use them as an aid to germination, but cannabis growers should still avoid following such directions. Cannabis seeds will germinate if they're able to, without chemical assistance.

More to the point, the seeds of most agricultural and garden plants (for which mass-market fertilisers are generally designed) are nowhere near as valuable as cannabis seeds. Germination rates can afford to be a bit more hit-and-miss when seeds are sold in their hundreds or thousands.

wotan View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote wotan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 18:56
im haveing problem with the otrher labels about the germination rate (fem. versions)-usually i end up with half of what i ordered,  is there any exact ´´data base´´ for a perticular strain-what is normal? (1-14 days....SUCKS) ..Dubble gum needs a day and a half, with the max of 3 day-right?

I read that it takes 1 to 14 days, but my experiance tells me that after day 6,7,8...things are going no where-something should be done-handcracking(to strong shell)?

if the seeds are at there best, they intend to crack and germinate in 24-30 hours, with the max of 3-4days(cracking)?

After craking, the root should grow, or not? I read that the seed with a 1-2 cm root will not survive-my experiance tells me otherwise, if the root is a bit biger, that is usually 100%, witch can not be said for the smoler one-why some  ˙˙frezze´´ after they peak out-is that normal-moust of them turns TROLL-ish like?

If half of the seeds crack as they sholud and the others dont- i usually  start ´´hand´´ cracking  them-it works if i start soon enough (day 3), but the fem. version is a bit to expencive for me to play with, so i wait, and i usually lose all of them (day 5,6,7..)-moust of them becouse they couldnt be cracked enough?

did i get anything right- and lets forget the extrems?

holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 19:31
try them stright into soil to germ i get 100 % rate all make it two sexing only die when pulled out
Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2007 at 15:08
I'd stick with the tissue-and-plates method.

Many seeds will open in the first 72hrs or even the first 24hrs, but it is definitely not true that seeds are doomed if they don't open in the first week.

Some sources say to allow up to 3 weeks or even a month to germinate. We'd say that after 15 days in a germination medium all seeds should have germinated.  If a seed takes longer than two weeks to germinate, it's unlikely that it will come up.

Older seeds will often germinate noticeably faster than newly-produced seeds, so when a seed is 'at its best' is debatable.

"Dubble gum needs a day and a half, with the max of 3 day-right?"
No. Most may germinate within three days, but that's certainly not the maximum time they may need. It's 1 to 14 days for all strains.

After cracking, the root should grow. The length of the root has no bearing on whether the seed will survive. If the root is growing, the seedling is alive and growing and it has every chance to succeed.

If seeds open and don't produce a root, or a root emerges, then dies, the problem is almost invariably with the growing/germination environment, not the seeds.
If seeds open, they're viable.
If they die after opening, environmental conditions probably killed them.

galaan View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote galaan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2007 at 20:30
    hello,
i put my seeds in glasses of water, i know that its not the best way to do it, but it works, so why not?
so,
i took an out door mix, all seeds are now smal trees.
i took first lady and northern lights too, i put all the seeds at the same time, but thes didn t crack yet, they are going in trere 8 day....
i would like to know if there is a diference bitween outdoor an indoor seeds for germinating?
besause a hade purpule tops and outsider seeds too, and they cracked in 24 hours, and in 48h hade a 1,5 cm 2 cm of the white thing.
thanks for all infomation you can.
GALAAN
 Post Reply Post Reply