Cannabis Forum > Hempflax > General
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Always something new to learn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sno View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote sno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Always something new to learn
    Posted: 09 January 2010 at 04:52
i just got done watching a documentary titled "adventures in cannabis hemp" and there was a segment where Ben Dronkers was telling facts about hemp and its uses and one thing he said that really stuck in my mind was that hemp requires NO pesticides while cotton as he said requires lots of pesticide.

well after i watched that dvd i went to the sensi seeds site to check out some of the hemp products ben was referring to amd i was floored when i read the description of one of the handbags for sale which states that its made mostly of hemp fiber and COTTON! Does Ben know that some of his products are partially made of cotton? i think thats crappy. 
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 10:32
You might think that, but it's probably because you could learn more about hemp fibre, hemp fabric and the hemp industry.

Cotton is a fact of life. Where it's possible to replace cotton with hemp, we do so.
At some point, it might be possible to replace most cotton in clothing with hemp, but a lot depends on new processing methods and investment.

How much cotton are you wearing right now? Probably quite a bit, as there are currently few other alternatives, apart from nylon and other synthetic fibres. Or wool.

The fact is (and you should check this out), nearly all modern hemp clothing has a significant proportion of cotton. Non-clothing textile items like string and rope can be made from 100% hemp, but if the material is going to come in contact with human skin, pure hemp is usually too rough.

There are new methods in the works that can make hemp fabric as soft as cotton without using dangerous chemicals.

Currently, there is a process to make hemp as soft as cotton, but it requires a costly, labour intensive chemical-based process.

This is why most soft hemp fabric is not made in this way, but mixed with cotton - it's the less pollutive option.

JFTR - unlike cotton growing hemp requires no pesticides and no chemical fertilisers. Processing hemp into cloth or paper requires far less chemical input and those chemicals that are used are much less dangerous than the ones required for regular cloth/paper.
Also, hemp improves the land it grows on, rather than destroying it, as with so many intensively-farmed crops.

So, when grown on a much larger scale, with the new processes currently in development, hemp could start to displace cotton as the most desirable fibre to grow. Currently, cotton is so ubiquitous that it's hard to imagine a world without it. The amount of industrial hemp grown each year would probably amount to a fraction of 1% of the yearly cotton harvest.

The way to change this is to support hemp. Nearly all the hemp fabric you can buy has cotton in it. Fact of life. If we want the proportions of hemp to increase, we have to live with the compromise.

If you can find some 100% hemp garments, please let us know.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 13:29
Originally posted by Ganja

If you can find some 100% hemp garments, please let us know.

Margaret River Hemp Co.
Environmental Clothing.

Contact

Hemp, bamboo and cotton, blends and pure fabrics.
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 15:40
Good site, cheers for the link.

I didn't look all through the women's clothing, but in the men's I could only find one garment that was 100% hemp - the beach pants (and possibly the 'lightweight jacket').

As far as I could tell, all the shirts, shorts, jumpers and other pants were blends of hemp/cotton, hemp/bamboo or bamboo/cotton.

Still, one 100% hemp garment is better than none!

I'm guessing that since the upper body seems more sensitive than the lower (I can wear wool trousers, but can't wear a wool jumper on bare skin), the shirts need to be blends, while the pants have a little more scope?

Saw a bamboo fibre shirts a few years ago (can't remember whether it was 100%; I think it was a blend) and was amazed at how soft it was.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
 Post Reply Post Reply