Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Seeds, Genes & Strains
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2010 at 19:46
This thread is win %3c3chumbs%3c20Up
So what will geert wilders do about the weed when he gets in power ?

Slightly unbeleivably, there has been a charity set up to protect essex girls from being sterotyped %3clown 

or so the tv news is telling me...
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:40
Signed into my email account today and found a report of an issue with this thread. Outlawgrower reported to me that I was rude to him when I asked him why he bothered to post the dribble, that is the sorry content of this thread. lol I find that strangely amusing.

Well at least I know why it is so widely posted across cannaspace... he posts it everywhere. %3c3clown
What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
dan_kass View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote dan_kass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 11:57
Yeah I think it's been posted at ICMAG too. It's a shame really because I doubt Shanti has/wants anything to do with the drama....he doesn't come off as that type of person but then again I've never met him so I don't really know for sure.

There's no doubting that Nevil definitely started The Seed Bank which is now owned by Sensi and so is his work from that era. And then I believe he went to Greenhouse so they will have some of his stuff as well....and now he has partnered up with Shanti so he too will have certain genetics of his. The only person who really knows what is what is Nevil and to the best of my knowledge....he has never come on any of the canna boards to dispel any of the myths so it's easy for people to spread whatever type of information (or disinformation) they want.

As a grower/hobby breeder, I value Sensi's genetics just as much as MNS and a few others as well. I've been doing this for 18 years and still very much remember when seeds were sold in the pages of High Times....those were the good old days for me. So when I see people start riffs between company's it just makes me shake my head....the owners of these company's probably have no idea it's even happening, yet these arguments can surely effect their bottom line. What if someone decides not to buy there product based on an internet lie....that can be quite damaging to some.

Personally, I'd like to see two companies like Sensi and MNS come together and create something truly unique....the genetic diversity is there, as well as some possibly similar lines? I'm sure it's a strtch but instead of companies distancing themselves from one another, it would be nice to see them come together for a change. At the end of the day, were all in this together....especially the big breeders. They hold most of the genetics and if they aren't preserved properly then were all screwed

And as a customer too I would say this to those in charge at Sensi...leave the trends to others companies (one immediately springs to mind), thats not to say that Sensi shouldn't have female seeds but they don't have to go out and collect every "bagseed elite" strain that there is. Female seeds are great for beginner growers but I think the more seasoned cultivator wants something either unique, predictable or that they can use as breeding material. I hope Sensi stays on that path and continues to introduce varieties from the vaults....who cares if they aren't the flavor of the month, leave that to the seed makers who cater to the kiddies.

3 Sensi Hash Plants

And a close up of the left one

Take Care,
~dan
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 13:38
Good points, well made. That's also an especially beautiful Hash Plant on the left.

As for definitive information on lineages, genetic makeup and breeding programs, Nevil knows, Ben and Alan Dronkers know, Eddie of Flying Dutchmen knows.
They (and very few others) were all working with their own genetics and original hybrids as well as the imported US cuttings and seeds back when that material first arrived in Holland. They're some of the only people in a position to know precisely what went into what. Very extensive records were kept, but most of what I've seen is almost impenetrable, as few famous strain names are used in breeding records. Most everything is alphanumeric codes, some of which refer to the strains or geographical origins of the parent plants, some of which indicate a place within a breeding program or hybrid/cultivar family.

This might partly be to do with secrecy, but a lot of it is just for ease of labelling and record-keeping. Also, in the Eighties, the naming of strains had not yet become a business in and of itself.

Many present-day seed sellers do nothing more than rebrand existing strains and invent/retcon a back-story for them and this is one of the things that has led to the current unfortunate situation that JessE embodies - the never ending debate over the name game and near-obsession with knowing the 'real story'.

Enormous amounts of energy (and invective) are devoted to establishing yet another One True History of strains from from fundamentally contradictory (or just plain incorrect) sources. In places it becomes very much like other fandoms, with the alpha-geeks fighting over a Truth that will never be definitively established (and, essentially, doesn't matter at all). I spent many years trying to work out a definitive history of the European breeding programs and even with access to primary sources and a good idea of the overall shape and direction of things, there are certain details that are never going to be firmly established.

And, in the end, it really doesn't matter. If the seeds do what they say on the packet - germinate, grow and flower as they're meant to - that's really enough. A decent grower can get an excellent idea of a plant's qualities by growing it!
Knowing a hybrid's lineage is interesting, but gives little or no idea of how the strain or individuals within it will perform as parents, whether in the f2 generation or in a new hybrid. The only way to know for sure is to make the cross and observe/compare the results.

This, I guess, is one of the reasons that I've never seen Nevil, or Ben, or Alan, or Eddie answering questions on forums. All have written quite extensively about their breeding programs and going into further detail may be a nice kind of fan-service, but it's also a waste of time, since the information won't help anyone's breeding.

Moreover, getting into such discussions is a little like making a rod for one's own back, as it often leads to discussions with an 'interested amateur' who has read some forum posts that contradict the breeder's first hand experience. I've seen some of the older breeders express more than a little annoyance that someone who was born in the Eighties was tellling the breeder what they must have been doing in the same period.

JessE's original question had something of that arrogant tone - do Sensi sell 'the' original Northern Lights from the days of Nevil's Seed Bank, the one that 'everyone' loved.
Obviously, there were many different NLxNL hybrids, so the assertion that NL 5x2 is 'the' NL is just an assumption based on rumours and third-hand info. A little learning is a dangerous thing, as they say.

NL 5x2 is indeed well-loved, but since NL#1 is more consistent and classic Afghani in appearance (and not a hybrid of two different NL strains), many people preferred NL#1 and considered that the 'true' NL. Neither view is incorrect. This is why NL#1 was sold as Sensi's Northern Lights seed-strain for quite a while in the Nineties.
NL 5x2 was also very popular and, on average, slightly more potent, so it took over as 'the' NL seed-strain, and so it remains, AFAIK.

Expressing this simple reality as anything other than a hard, collectible fact to the likes of JessE leads to tantrums, dummy-spits and toys being thrown from the pram. Alas.
This is why I mostly ignore such discussions.

In answer to your last point, about trends and feminised seeds, the decision to start selling them a few years ago caused a lot of heated debate around the company. Many (including myself) were opposed to selling them. Until then, we'd heard far too many reports of fem seeds going hermie or generally performing badly and the fact that half our customers wanted them wasn't a good enough reason to sell them. Since then, I've had to change my position somewhat and admit that my initial reservations don't apply to well-made feminised seeds. I've watched very closely for complaints about fem seeds for the whole time we've sold them and found remarkably few (they seem no more likely to throw up hermaphrodites than natural females). I've tested them as mother plants, seen them grown outdoors (both of which we didn't recommend at first) with no problems.

Still, I know what you mean. I would always grow natural seeds over feminised and I would recommend the same to most growers, unless they are particularly keen on fems (first timer growers, very limited space, etc).

It's hard to guarantee anything in the cannabis world, but one thing I can state with certainty is that Sensi will never stop selling natural seeds in favour of fems.
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
dan_kass View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote dan_kass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 19:48
I guess "miracle" Sam could also be added to that list but he's quite the odd kat when it comes to his information about the 70's/80's....can't really blame him, he's been smoking Original Haze for decades;)

And I definitely don't envy your position....having to watch what you say about different strains because it might end up getting posted all over the net without your permission. But I agree, it seems as though the people who weren't there are the ones who are spreading all these stories as fact. It just ends up doing more harm then good.

As to the female seeds....I'm glad Sensi made fems of already existing lines and not this Kush or that Kush or Diesel, ect... I just think some companies go a little bit overboard with buying into (or cashing in on) the latest fades.

Oh and I'm glad you like the Hash Plant, she's been around for about a year now and I'm still dialing her in. Took me awhile but I finally realized that she prefers organic nutrients in soilless for the taste to really shine thru....as opposed to synthetics (Gen Hydro.)

So anyway, thanks for replying and definitely keep doin' what you've been doin' and don't let the drama bother you....it's not worth it.

And if you don't mind my asking....are the breeders at Sensi working on anything new/different at the moment that you can comment on? If not I understand, just thought I'd ask.

I'm really looking forward to picking up 3 or 4 packs of Cal Indica and a pack each of Silver Haze and Maple Leaf this year....just gotta get over my fear of online ordering. I'm more inclined to hop on a plane and buy them in person then I am to ordering them. I know that people have good results with online companies but at the end of the day....you're at their mercy when it comes to getting what you actually ordered.

Take Care,
~dan
sarah louise View Drop Down
Sensi Moderator
Sensi Moderator

Quote sarah louise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 11:14
Originally posted by Ganja

Expressing this simple reality as anything other than a hard, collectible fact to the likes of JessE leads to tantrums, dummy-spits and toys being thrown from the pram. Alas.

I nominate Outlaw/JessE for the position of Keyboard Crusader for the Real Santa Claus!

What doesn't kill me just makes me stranger...
chad eric View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote chad eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2013 at 20:04
Is sensi seeds afghani and northern lights as good as it once was? Hear lots of people say the genes are not the same. Id like to use males if i find them would the afghan and northern lights males be good? I read that neville said on mns forums that the sensi afghan lost vigor? I would hope its not true.
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 12:38
There's only only one way to find out chad eric and that's too grow them. There is and old saying, "Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you read" when nevil appeared online a few years back he said a lot of things, some useful and some bullshit and a lot controversial.

A couple of examples, he said "SSH, JH and Diesel are the same cut" also according to cannabis folklore the original G13 cut died years ago, info that apparently came from nevil, then when he returned years later he said "no the G13 cut is still alive and kicking."

So take everything you hear or read with a grain of salt, grow the seeds and make your own decisions.

For the record, nevil is now selling his own seeds and is no longer associated with MNS, a desicion made by Shanti and Howard Marks not nevil by the way, and now the latest load of bullshit from nevils camp is that MNS have problems with lost parent plants, strains with no vigour, hermies etc,etc,
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
sicklehand View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote sicklehand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 11:03
Originally posted by alecky

"Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you read"

Never a truer word spoken my friend, the canna scene is so full of bulls&%$, if its not an original 1958 cut for the hills of cali its an zirconian arse berry gifted by one bollocked green men. The thing i like about sensi seeds is its a gateway to the old genetics whether you believe it or not they are there, yes some may of changed, but this is only natural you can not keep a strain going for 30 years with out some sort of drift/added breeding. most modern seed banks have or do use/used sensi genetics
to churn out endless rehashes of the same hybrids Skunk,Northern lights,Afghani,Haze,ruderelis make up most modern stains today! do you think joe nob end from nob seed co went to get there genetics from the Hindu kush mountains?? or equatorial Africa?? the answer 99% of the time is no they bought them just like you do, people like ben dronkers,henk van dellon,etc did all the hard work so you dont have to so lets dispense with the pomp & splender and just grow the f-ing plant and enjoy the fruits of our green fingers.

Phew! almost fell off my soap box then
alecky View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote alecky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2013 at 11:36
Yes bud, the soap box can be very slippy!!! Funny you mention how people/companies get the genetics in the first place, i was going to say this yesterday, when nevil almighty surfaced at MNS forums he very publicly set out to make what he called a "grail" strain, the sativa to top all sativas, it was said people would implode on their first hit. He then set about asking the MNS members to send him their prized seeds and cuts so he could make the "grail". The very same thing he did in the '80's and people are still doing today, obtaining plants from other people and making some nice crosses.

As you said, very few people trek the Hindu Kush to get seeds, most just trek to the post office!
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>