Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Indoor Growing > Indoor Grow Diaries
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pure thai and white diesel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 05:32
Cheers rasta thats what i wanted to hear :)  I have been wondering if turning the light down an hour might provoke some flowers, not sometihng i really want to do at this time, but if needs must..
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2010 at 13:37
I was looking at the WD today and i noticed that the serrated leaf edges are turning up, only the very top ones. At first i thought perhaps it was trying to lose water but now the very tip of the serrations is burned. Any ideas? Is it possible its too close to the light? Runoff is showing PH7, not a huge problem in soil is it?

Thai is now well over a meter and has passed the WD. It is just showing the tinyest bit of asymetric growth, but still no flowers to report :(

Pics tomorrow.
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 09:37
Day 28 of 12/12...

Few nice buds starting to form. In the second pic you can see the leafs turning up

Look at those lower leafs!!
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 10:53
She does look a bit pale.

The brown edges on the lower fan leaves could well be a potassium (K) deficiency.

The overall yellowing is probably a nitrogen (N) deficiency (which might also be contributing to the brown lower leaves).

The browning could also be caused by a lack of zinc, or even sulphur , but these are less likely than  a K deficiency, since Zn and S are needed in much smaller amounts, so are less likely to be used up.

A pH of 7.0 is a bit high, even for soil. It won't really damage plants in and of itself, but a neutral pH may prevent plants from absorbing all the nutrients they need, even if those nutes are present.

Try to lower the soil to about pH 6.3-6.5, or use a more acidic nutrient solution which should help balance pH, at least around the time of feeding. Changing soil pH is harder (and takes longer) than changing the pH of hydro materials, so it's probably too late in this plant's life to make major changes to the soil.

Try using a feeding formula with higher proportions of N and K. If you already use such a formula, try giving a little more when feeding.

EDIT - duh! I just realised that the lower plant is the Thai (it was the lack of buds that eventually clued me in...).

Both plants would benefit from more N and the Thai could probably use a little more K.
However, remember that the Thai, as a straight Sativa, will most likely need significantly less feed than most indoor plants.
Try making a solution with good proportions of N and K, up to about 70-80% of the manufacturer's recommendation for a strong dose, but give it less often than the feed for the White Diesel (say, one feed for every two the WD is given or two Thai for every three WD).
Auto-flowering Cannabis Seeds!
No growing questions by PM, please!
Proteus View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote Proteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:12

Yeah i guess ill bump its feed up a bit. Its had a 1/2 feed with its last 2 waters, starting when i first noticed the leafs going. The very top leafs are getting a little bit of an indigo tinge and yet the bottom ones keep yellowing. Stilll i guess its better to burn it then starve it. I worry that perhaps its just general environment upsetting it. Could humidity do that? or too much fan?

As for PH i will water with 5.5 or so and watch the run off. I got too comfortable with having PH 6 out of the tap and didnt test PH for ages.

Edit: btw the yellow stripes on the WD are a reaction to being fed and not a sign of starvation.
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 16:11
Originally posted by Proteus

Stilll i guess its better to burn it then starve it.

Actually, the opposite is the case. An underfed plant can be easily nursed back to health in a few days by increasing the feed. The roots should still be healthy and the plant will respond very quickly to the correct nutrient dosage.

Plants that have been significantly overfed usually have damaged root systems. The salt build-up needs to be flushed from the soil and the plant then has to grow new root hairs before it will start to recover.

Originally posted by Proteus

the yellow stripes on the WD are a reaction to being fed and not a sign of starvation.

In my own personal opinion, the yellow stripes are a sign of a nutrient deficiency, probably magnesium, sulphur or zinc. Underfed plants react to feeding by getting greener, not by turning yellow.

That's not to say that you need to feed them higher doses of these nutrients. Deficiencies are not always caused by underfeeding. In fact, overfeeding is one of the main causes of nutrient deficiencies, because an overdose of certain nutrients prevents the uptake of other nutrients.

Nutrient deficiencies also frequently occur when soil is too wet or too cold. Make sure your soil drains very well and only water plants when they need to be watered. Try to make sure the water you add to the soil is at room temperature.

Also, in my own experience, pH levels are rarely an issue when growing in soil. If you are using a good-quality potting soil, it will almost certainly contain lime or some other substance to buffer the pH. This helps stabilise the pH of the growing medium - even if you are adding water with a different pH level.

When growing in soil, it is the pH of the growing medium (ie - the soil) that matters, not the pH of the run-off or the feed water. If you use good-quality potting soil, you should never have to check the pH. This is one of the many reasons why growing in soil is much more forgiving than hydroponics.

BTW - these are my own opinions based on six years of growing cannabis in soil. Other growers with more experience may have different opinions - and Ganja certainly knows a helluva lot more than I do about the magical cannabis plant. Trial and error is the best way to increase your knowledge of growing. Practice makes perfect.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 16:15
Well, I note that the yellowing on the WD is only on some leaves and new growth seems unaffected - nutrient deficiencies will usually affect the whole plant.

On the other hand, yellow leaves with green veins - which look almost as though the plant is drawing chlorophyll or other useful chemicals back into itself - are usually a sign of some sort of nutrient deficiency.

The trouble is that this colouring can be caused by a number of different deficiencies - N (most common), K (though usually accompanied by burnt tips and necrotic spots), magnesium (though leaves usually yellow-green rather than bright yellow), sulphur, iron or zinc.

If the new growth doesn't start changing colour in the same way, the WD should be fine for its remaining time.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 16:17
Hey there Mick, good to see you about again!
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 16:28
Cheers Ganja... The paranoia has abated since my brush with the local customs b*stards.

I've edited my previous post to make it clear than I was purely expressing a personal opinion. I'm as fallible as the next person and was really just making an educated guess based on Proteus's photos.

In may be wrong about this, but deficiencies of N, P and K usually affect older leaves first before spreading upwards through the entire plant if they are not rectified. Deficiencies of immobile micro-nutrients usually appear on the newer growth - ie the leaves growing closer to the tips of the branches - like the first pic in Proteus's last post.

Some of the lower leaves in this photo appear to be healthy, while the leaves near the branch-tips are yellowing. "Interveinal chlorosis" (ie yellow leaves with green veins) usually indicates zinc, iron or sulphur deficiency when it occurs in newer growth. If the plant is also exhibiting rusty-brown spots on the leaves, magnesium deficiency is most likely.

All this is fairly academic, however, because micro-nutrient deficiencies are usually caused by poor soil conditions rather than under-feeding.
Ganja View Drop Down
Sensi Administrator
Sensi Administrator

Quote Ganja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 16:51
No need to edit, Mick. I'm still learning new things even after all this time. Such as:

Originally posted by farmer mick

Deficiencies of immobile micro-nutrients usually appear on the newer growth - ie the leaves growing closer to the tips of the branches

A very interesting point and one I hadn't considered before. Cheers!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 16>