Cannabis Forum > Sensi Seeds > Growing Archives > Lighting
  Sensi Cannabis Seeds Sensi Shop  Sensi Newsletter Newsletter  Cannabis & Marijuana Photos Cannabis Photos  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting for the amateur grower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mas420 View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote mas420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting for the amateur grower
    Posted: 05 September 2005 at 17:37

Mr.Ganja or anyone who colud give me advise,

I am an amature closet grower. I planning on growing about 2-4 plants in my closet space of 87 w x 59 d x 180 cm h . I got advise from Ganja regarding this light problem before. He advised that I should go with HPS 400w SON-T-AGRO but this will cost me about 350 euros. I know the SON-T AGRO will work fairly well but I am having second though because of bugets... I think I should just go with fluorescents set up for my first grow.

I am planning on to make a aluminium housing that will hold 8 u shape incandescent fixture fluro bulbs with 100w each bulb. For seeding and vegetable stage I will use daylight "cool" bulbs, then when force flower stage I will swith the bulbs to "warm"type"bulb.

For reading books and getting info on the net , I think for my limited closet space, this fluro set up will be more suitable the HPS.. because HPS will cost more in $$$ and the heat problem.

Please tell me if my "Fluro set up plan"will work for my closet grow?  Will I still be able to grow good buds for personal use?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Sam

Give me your fRuit CoCktail ..Bia-tch
impact View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote impact Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2005 at 16:15
Let me get this right, you plan on using 8 100w flouro bulbs?

That is going to be twice the heat than a 400 watt HPS, with half the efficiency.

If you want a decent yield, my suggestion is to get a 250w HPS...you'll save money in the long run and have alot better yield then those floros.
mas420 View Drop Down
Sensi Grower
Sensi Grower

Quote mas420 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2005 at 17:10
thanks for your advise man... I definitely will get e HPS
Give me your fRuit CoCktail ..Bia-tch
hempgod View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote hempgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2007 at 06:23
hi hemp god here  why not try two 200w plug &grow envirolite should rush you 120quid be sure to get blue for veggin etc.and red for flowering thers very little heat so it should do just job adivce good luck  hempgodweed leaf
Okcorall View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Okcorall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 04:03
I'm sorry to "hi-jack" a thread. But i am unable to make a thread of my own, and the title of this thread is apt.

I am looking to buy a lighting system for my closet set-up. I have been looking on e-bay and have found an ENVIROLITE 2 Lamp Reflector.

It will be able to take 2 200w bulbs. Which i can vary from the 6400k vege stage to the 2700k flowering stage bulbs. 

With my grow space being around 1 metre squared, will this set up give me a fair harvest? Bearing in mind, i only want to grow around 5 plants for personal use.

Or would there be a different light set up that you think you would give me a better chance at a nice harvest?

This is the first time i have grown any seeds, and as the first have started to sprout, i would like to get a good lighting system in place soon.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can throw a newbies way.
holistic View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote holistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 07:09
trust me on this one grab a 250w hps with balast etc envrittes are ok for vegging but for a decent smoke  go hps . see also farmer micks setting up a grow space welcome to sensi
Check out Sensi Indoor Mix in Holistic's photo gallery!

Better to live one day on your feet than spend a lifetime on your knees.
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 17:09

You could also try a 400w HPS. It uses the same amount of electricity as 2 x 200w envirolites, but will produce a lot more bud on harvest day...

"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
Okcorall View Drop Down
Sensi Seedling
Sensi Seedling

Quote Okcorall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2007 at 21:10
Well, i got a bit exicted in my local garden centre, and i've bought a 400W HPS lamp with refelctor. It's hung in my grow space, and i'm really happy with it.

My only concern is, as my grow space is an old wardrobe (made of wood), and the lamp being around 2-3inches from the top, will this cause a fire? As it gets very hot. I have yet to buy rollers to lower the lamp, so at the moment, its stuck at the top.

Also, is this light suitable for both stages (vege and flowering)? Or would i need to get different bulbs, as i would have with the envirolite? At the moment, they are just little shoots, but i'm hoping with my new lamp, i'll have some harvestable herb in a month or so.
farmer mick View Drop Down
Sensi Advanced Grower
Sensi Advanced Grower

Quote farmer mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2007 at 17:36
It shouldn't catch fire, the heat from a lamp isn't hot enough to ignite wood.

However, to be on the safe side, make sure the electrics are all properly wired and that no parts of the lamp are actually touching the wood.

Ideally, a Metal Halide lamp would be better for the veg period, but the HPS should do fine. Unless you have a universal ballast, you would have to buy a whole new kit to run  a MH light.

Also, you're dreaming if you think you'll have harvestable herb in a month. Your plants will need to spend a couple more weeks in veg and at least 6-8 weeks in flower before you can harvest them.
"A rat race is for rats. We're not rats. We're human beings." - Jimmy Reid, RIP
 Post Reply Post Reply